Shakeology?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I actually drink Shakeology most every day. It's made with over 70 whole ingredients, nothing artificial and the protein is not concentrated. It's not just a meal replacement but a nutritional supplement. It's also recommended by the American Diabetes Association. It's equivalent to 2 servings of fruit and vegetables. I prefer Chocolate. Another great thing about Shakeology is you don't have to drink it the same way. There's a 30 day recipe calendar that comes with it. I prefer it with PB 2, almond milk, a little and mixed in a blender.
    Come on. The ADA does no such thing.

ADA does not endorse specific weight loss products like Shakeology.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-dietitian/archives/does.html?keymatch=shakeology

Goes to show that people are naive when it comes to some actual research and just take the word of some BB coach or seller of product.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Really???? WOW, Shakeology is the best thing that I have done for my body. I no longer have to take a multivitamin daily. It is gluten free and has helped my body in so many ways. I will not go on and on to you about it though since you seem to have done no research about it!
    He's done extensive research on it. BB coaches of course are going to endorse it. Save your breath. There are many people here who have enough common sense to know that you don't need to spend $3-$4 on a shake.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey, I was updating my goal settings when I so your post pop up. I don't usually jump into these discussions, but Shakeology was a part of my 2011 transformation. Read about it at www.xfit.org if you want to.

Full disclosure, I am a Beachbody Coach.

Could i have lost the weight without Shakeology? Of course.

Did I have to educate myself about nutrition and change my eating habits? Absolutely.

Did I have to workout? Hell yes! I did all 90 days of P90X, then all 60 days of Insanity.

I don't drink Shakeology as a weight loss, meal replacement, or protein shake. I drink it for its nutritional value. In my opinion, comparing it to other protein shakes, or other meal replacement shakes is like comparing apples to oranges.

I wonder if the negative commenters actually used the product for 30 days then took advantage of Beachbody's "bottom of the bag" guarantee by returning the empty bag for a refund. Have they actually compared the nutrient list to other products?

Shakeology is a premium product which is why it costs $4 a shake instead of $1. Personally, I'm worth it.

As for the taste, I prefer Chocolate. But even if Greenberry, whose taste I don't really enjoy, was the only flavor, I'd still drink it. I think it's that good for my body.

BTW, the vegan formula Tropical Strawberry will be available on Valentine's Day.

Anyway, like I said, I don't normally comment, and hope I don't start a flame war. I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks.
    That's BS on the premium product. The cost is because multiple people get PAID. Uplines, sponsors, etc. That's how an MLM works. Be honest about it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Here's the list of ingredients along with the daily values. Unfortunatley I couldn't download the .pdf so I copied and pasted.

% Daily Value**
    Calories 140
    Calories from Fat 10
    Total Fat 1 g 2%
    Cholesterol 15 mg 5%
    Sodium 100 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 3 g 12%
    Sugars 9 g
    Protein 17 g 34%
    Vitamin A (as beta-carotene) 5000 IU 100%
    Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 180 mg 300%
    Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 200 IU 50%
    Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl succinate) 15 IU 50%
    Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione) 40 mcg 50%
    Vitamin B1 (as thiamin HCL) 1.5 mg 100%
    Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin) 1.3 mg 77%
    Vitamin B3 (as niacin) 5 mg 25%
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCL) 2 mg 100%
    Folic acid 200 mcg 50%
    Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 6 mcg 100%
    Biotin 90 mcg 30%
    Pantothenic acid (as d-calcium pantothenate) 5 mg 50%
    Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate) 500 mg 50%
    Iron (as ferrous fumarate) 4 mg 22%
    Phosphorous (as dicalcium phosphate) 250 mg 25%
    Iodine (as kelp) 52 mcg 35%
    Magnesium (as oxide) 80 mg 20%
    Zinc (as zinc oxide) 6 mg 40%
    Copper (as copper oxide) 0.8 mg 40%
    Manganese (as manganese amino acid chelate) 2 mg 100%
    Chromium (as chromium amino acid chelate) 60 mcg 50%
    Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate) 30 mcg 40%
    Whey protein (isolate) 15 g †
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value**
    PROPRIETARY SUPER-FRUIT BLEND: 2075 mg †
    Acerola powder (fruit), Camu-Camu powder (fruit),
    Pomegranate powder (fruit), Bilberry powder (fruit),
    Blueberry powder (fruit), Lycium (Goji) powder (berry), Açai
    powder (berry), Cordyceps, Maitake powder, Reishi powder,
    Citrus bioflavonoids, Rose Hips powder (fruit), Schisandra
    powder (berry), Suma powder (root), Gingko powder (leaf).
    Maca powder (root) 1000 mg †
    Sacha inchi (Plukenetia volubilis) meal 1000 mg †
    Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) powder 1000 mg †
    Flax (seed) meal 700 mg †
    Chia (seed) meal 500 mg †
    Chlorella 350 mg †
    Spirulina 350 mg †
    Hydrilla 300 mg †
    Apple pectin powder 250 mg †
    Astragalus powder (root) 200 mg †
    Blue green algae 200 mg †
    Spinach powder 200 mg †
    MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) 150 mg †
    Pea fiber 150 mg †
    Quinoa (sprouted) 150 mg †
    PROPRIETARY NONDAIRY 150 mg †
    PROBIOTIC BLEND:
    Bifodobacterium longum, Lactobacillus acidophilus,
    Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1, Lactobacillus bulgaricus,
    Lactobacillus casei, Streptococcus thermophilus.
    Stevia 135 mg †
    PROPRIETARY ENZYME BLEND: 130 mg †
    Amylase, Papain, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain.
    Ashwagandha powder (root) 100 mg †
    Barley grass 100 mg †
    Kamut grass 100 mg †
    Oat grass 100 mg †
    Wheat grass 100 mg †
    Amaranth (sprouted) (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) 50 mg †
    Grape seed extract (seed, 95% proanthocyanins) 50 mg †
    Green tea decaffeinated extract 50 mg †
    (leaf, 50% polyphenols)
    Holy basil powder (leaf) 50 mg †
    ** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    † Daily Value not established
    OTHER INGREDIENTS: Fructose, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, chocolate powder, guar gum, natural vanilla flavor, and cinnamon powder.
    ALLERGY INFORMATION: Contains milk-based ingredients and is manufactured in a plant that also processes soy ingredients.
    Shakeology is gluten free and caffeine free.
    NOTE: Although highly nutritious, Shakeology does not meet all of your daily dietary needs and should not be the only meal you consume throughout any given day.
    WARNING: Consult with a healthcare professional if pregnant, breast feeding, or if you have any other unique or special needs. Keep out of reach of children.
    © 2010 Beachbody. All rights reserved. Distributed by Product Partners, LLC, Santa Monica, CA 90404. Product Partners, LLC, is the owner of Shakeology,
    Beachbody, Beachbody Nutritionals, Team Beachbody, and all related designs, copyrights, trademarks, and proprietary rights.
    If you are a member of the Team Beachbody® community, contact your Coach for information and support or log in at TeamBeachbody.com.
    For Beachbody and Team Beachbody Customer Service, please call 1 (800) 818-5174 or go to Beachbody.com.
    *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
    DIRECTIONS: Add 1 full scoop (48 g) of Shakeology powder to 1 cup (8 fl. oz.) cold water or beverage
    (milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc.) and mix. It can also be mixed in a blender with ice for a creamy, frosty smoothie.
    That's nice. Too bad it doesn't say anything about the actual quality of the "raw" materials being used to "formulate" the product. And it's NOT even manufactured by Beach Body but by a third party manufacturer who ALSO makes protein supplements for other companies.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Here's an article by Bloomberg Business Week on the creator of Shakeology Daren Olien. Great article by Bloomberg Business Week on the creator of Shakeology. He and Shakeology have also been featured in O Magazine

http://mobile.businessweek.com/magazine/the-adventures-of-superfood-man-01262012.html?chan=magazine+channel_features

You decide.
    Don't equate good money making schemes to actual product results. You do realize that the "coaches" are the support system to pay the executives at the top? It's not the general public doing it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • stephgonzal
    stephgonzal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What alternative? If you don't mind me asking.
  • jennifer783
    jennifer783 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • masigirl
    masigirl Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks, all! I think I'm going to go with the masses here. With not a single vote FOR Shakeology, I think I'll just mosey my way down the au natural route. I am going to buy Turbo Fire eventually! :o)

Good for you. I did shakeology only because a friend of mine is a beach body coach and suckered me into it. I did lose weight, it was 5lbs in one month, but I honestly think I could have done that if I just ate more raw fruits and veggies in the first place.

I have a beach body coach too who is trying to sucker me into buying it and thank god i didn't. You can use a protein shake before a workout but don't replace a meal with it cause you will regain that weight..
  • DiabeticTeam
    Options
    I am a Type I diabetic and have been for 37 years, I am a licensed EMT-A and have been working directly with the American Diabetes Association through Dr. Liechter who heads the ADA in Norfolk, Virginia.
    The American Diabetes Association does NOT advocate shakeology and severely warns against listening to anyone except your doctor concerning care for your diabetes.
    It is a travesty that there are people on here maintaining such heinous lies with neither research nor recourse for their deception.
  • DiabeticTeam
    Options
    I am a Type I diabetic and have been for 37 years, I am a licensed EMT-A and have been working directly with the American Diabetes Association through Dr. Liechter who heads the ADA in Norfolk, Virginia.
    The American Diabetes Association does NOT advocate shakeology and severely warns against listening to anyone except your doctor concerning care for your diabetes.
    It is a travesty that there are people on here maintaining such heinous lies with neither research nor recourse for their deception.

And on a quick side note, I bought a month's supply to be a guinea pig for the ADA and found that every time that I drank the shakeology mixed with just plain water, my blood sugar spiked over 350 mg/dL each time causing me to have to take another shot. And sending it back for this so called "bottom of the bag" was near impossible.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    As far as flavor goes, strawberry is gross. Chocolate is good. I've tried the green berry. Wasn't a fan.

I'm pretty skeptical of everything, so I don't buy into any of the claims. I do appreciate the daily does of vitamins, because I usually forget to take my multi. But, I also don't drink Shakeology everyday so I guess it doesn't reall matter that much.

It's a meal replacement powder. Nothing more and nothing less. I will never understand the passion from the die hard fans and from the die hard critics. Really...it's just powder.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    There are certainly some pretty tasty alternatives out there but I LOVE the Chocolate Shakeology. I can't afford it right now since I'm paying for a wedding but after that I may start to buy it.

See if you can track down a BeachBody Coach and ask for a free sample then go from there.

I don't think any BeachBody Coach would tell you to just drink the shakes and that you'd lose weight. I think you're supposed to treat them like you would a normal protein shake and use it to supplement your diet and exercise to lose weight, I don't think the shake alone is supposed to do that for you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't think any BeachBody Coach would tell you to just drink the shakes and that you'd lose weight. I think you're supposed to treat them like you would a normal protein shake and use it to supplement your diet and exercise to lose weight, I don't think the shake alone is supposed to do that for you.
    You haven't met the "slimy" ones then as of yet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You haven't met the "slimy" ones then as of yet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, I suppose that's true regarding anybody who sells anything (Herbalife, MaryKay, etc). lol I only know two coaches and they're my friends but I can imagine there are some slimy ones.
  • tennyt1
    tennyt1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

And on a quick side note, I bought a month's supply to be a guinea pig for the ADA and found that every time that I drank the shakeology mixed with just plain water, my blood sugar spiked over 350 mg/dL each time causing me to have to take another shot. And sending it back for this so called "bottom of the bag" was near impossible.

Is it possible that you didn't bolous correctly for it? Because, I havent had a problem with my blood sugars spiking on this product.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    You can easily (and cheaply) make your own shakes at home using plain protein powder (I'm partial to whey protein), almond or rice milk, and then doctoring a little to your taste/needs. Some of my regular ingredients include:

- chia seeds (these things are amazingly good for you, and have lots of fiber, but you have to drink it fast b/c the fiber thickens the drink up very quicky)
    - frozen blueberries
    - half a banana
    - tblsp almond butter
    - dextrose (if you need more carbs - carbs help you metabolize the protein)
    - glutamine
    - BCAAs
    - creatine

Tastes great, and it's very good for you. I've experimented a lot over the years, and I've never seen a pre-packaged/mixed shake that did the job... I'd rather control the ingredients to tailor it to what I need on that day/for that meal.

Two that I do trust (for when I'm at work, and don't have my blender and pantry handy) are Spiru-tein and Source of Life's Energy Shake.
  • DiabeticTeam
    Options

Is it possible that you didn't bolous correctly for it? Because, I havent had a problem with my blood sugars spiking on this product.

If it is required to take a small injection to offset the hidden sugars in shakeology, then that truly contradicts what they hope to accomplish.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

But MFP posts are all about strong feelings and what one's family member/salesperson told one, not about research and reason. Logic and science are constructs of the patriarchal academic/military/industrial/health care complex. If I feel strong about something, it must be true. ;)

In case the wink isn't enough, the above is sarcasm.
  • DiabeticTeam
    Options

But MFP posts are all about strong feelings and what one's family member/salesperson told one, not about research and reason. Logic and science are constructs of the patriarchal academic/military/industrial/health care complex. If I feel strong about something, it must be true. ;)

In case the wink isn't enough, the above is sarcasm.

Thank you for making me smile today. One Love.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are certainly some pretty tasty alternatives out there but I LOVE the Chocolate Shakeology. I can't afford it right now since I'm paying for a wedding but after that I may start to buy it.

See if you can track down a BeachBody Coach and ask for a free sample then go from there.

I am a coach and any coach who tells you just to drink Shakeology and that you will lose weight is wrong. You need to combine proper nutrition and exercise to lose the weight. And Shakeology is not for everyone. My Mother In Law loves it, but can not take it. She's on to many other meds (for heart problems and she is on Coumadin). I made her show her doctor before starting it. He liked it, but with the amount of vitamins, etc said she could not take it as it could have a bad reaction for her.
    DiabeticTeam- as far as Blood Sugar levels. I am not sure what you were adding to it, but personally for me it has lowered my levels and not had the reaction you have had. I have friends on it who are diabetic and have (with dr approval) been on Shakeology and had great results as far as blood sugar. A lot depends on what you mix it with, etc. Also the new Chocolate Vegan has lower sugar amounts. I know they are all rated low on the glycemic index, but each person is different and if they have any medical problems should consult their doctor!