no weight loss yet, and i get so hungry!!!

Options
I dont know what to do when i get SO hungry usually in the afternoon, I am new to this,, and keep thinking if there was a pill that worked to help me,, but been there done that dont work,,,,my supper is my biggest meal, and due to family i have to cook approperiatly for my wide range family ages and NOT dieting folk any idia's? please and thank you

Replies

• rayleansout
    Options
    vegatbales, vegetables, vegetables, Fresh!!! All you can eat!
  • colobruton
    Options
    probably what you are eating, think more protein and healthy fats. They keep you fuller longer.
  • sreelurocx
    sreelurocx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking your food? Try almonds and nuts with lots of water... it curbs hunger to a great extent..
    Most important point.. you are not starving.. you should not think about your diet stuff anytime except when your hand reaches out for food!! Good luck! hang in there!!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    +! on eat more protein and healthy fats.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast, then a snack, then lunch, then another snack, then dinner. I make sure I have high-protein snacks and meals to keep me from eating everything in site. That's just what I do because I can't make it several hours between eating, unless I'm sleeping. Maybe try that? :)
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try and make your portion for the evening meal smaller as you generally need less energy in the evening. That way you have more calories to use in the day.

I always have a mid afternoon snack....veg sticks with salsa, yoghurt, 'healthy' crisps, fruit. Anything vaguely healthy goes!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you are drinking enough, since thirst can often be confused as hunger.

Then, eat! Plan your meals and make sure you are getting enough protein and fiber, which help you feel full longer.

There are great resources online - check out skinnytaste.com and the menu board here. Then, stay within your calorie goal.

And, finally, remember that it takes time (and a calorie deficit over a span of time) to make an impact with your weight. Beware that if you don't eat enough calories and your body never gets enough your metabolism will slow down, because your body will store food in starvation mode.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and hold tight! Your body needs to get used to eating less. Try eating more fiber for lunch, or eat 6 smaller meals a day. I usually eat six meals a day each one below 300 calories. So I never go long without eating but I don't over-eat.

Good "between meal" snack ideas with protein/fiber to make you feel full:

Whole grain bread with almond/peanut butter
    Hard boiled eggs and a hand full of berries
    Lunch meat
    Trail mix
    Veggies with hummus
    An apple with almond/peanut butter

I'm sure there's a lot more too!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water/tea when you are hungry and see if that helps! If hungry in 10-15 mins, eat a HEALTHY snack.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    First I would say to cook one healthy meal for your family. Diet's don't work only lifestyle changes. With the exception of children too young for solid foods, a healthy meal is appropriate for all ages. If you teach them now then they won't struggle with their weight when they are older.

I eat 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks a day. I get to eat about every two to three hours so I don't ever get really hungry. Greek yogurt is a great snack for the afternoon because protein helps you feel full. I also have cottage cheese for afternoon snacks sometimes.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Know what helps me?

Adding Quinoa, barley, and a bunch of fresh veggies. Also, be sure to drink a TON of water!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Same issue with me so I understand! Between 3 and 5 I would starve and then when I got home my dinner was huge. I've switched to eating smaller meals throughout my day. This has helped so much! And I understand you have to cook meals for your family. But you can control what you cook. Family won't eat veggies...fix some for yourself. And you can reduce your portion sizes too. You can do it! It's just trail and error until you find what works for you! Good luck!
  • lglab
    lglab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to cook meals that are separate meat, veggie and a starch. So if I make baked chicken, steamed broccoli and potatoes... I just eat the chicken and broccoli (lots of broccoli) and not the starch. Or if I make hamburger, baked fries and open a can of peas, I just eat the hamburger (no bun) and the peas or add a big salad. You can do this don't give up! The key is lots of veggies to feel full.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is private, so I will ask: How many calories are you eating each day? How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    Even I am feeling very hungry since 2 days .... For past 2 weeks, I was eating very balanced and lost 3.1 lbs and on medication too.... But yesterday, I was feeling very hungry and weak too. Couldn;t stand the kitchen work for more than 40 mins..I usually can work for hours long ..... Don't know at this point where my health is not so good, I should eat more food or should I compensate the eating with more of veggies and fruits and try to stay on track. I am so confused. I don wanna gain those lost 3 lbs and wanna have energy to do some workouts (Got JM 30 day shred dvd) which am eager to start.

Please suggest.

PS: I am a pure vegetarian. All I can take are veggies, fruits and lentils. Thank you all for your guidance :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Your question can't possibly be answered without knowing your BMR, TDEE, daily deficit, and activity level.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You may need to increase your calories a little. If you're at 1200 that probably isn't enough, especially if you're used to eating a lot more.

As far as dinner goes, don't give in to other people's demands. You can make delicious meals that are incredibly healthy and low calorie. I make one meal for my family that satisfies my needs. My husband is trying to gain muscle mass so he just eats a lot more than I do. My kids either eat what I've made or they don't eat. You should make healthier choices for your family as well as for yourself.
  • charrn66
    Options
    The afternoons are hardest. I find that almonds (around 12 or so) really help to curb any hunger pains. Even a small tangerine, or fruit of some sort helps. Also, you can try what is known as a 'zero point' soup. There are some that are available by Progresso. It isn't that they don't have calories, but they satisfy without a lot extra calories. Watch the serving size though, most are 2-2.5 servings per can. The calories listed are for 1 serving. Weight watchers has excellent recipes for the soups.

When cooking for a wide range of family needs, try to keep it to healthy things as well. Less of the processed foods and more of the fresh foods. Salad with dinner, fresh veggies, and lean meats. Then throw out what you know about 'regular' portions and fill your plate with the right portions. Another way to do that is to fill your plate as normal, and then remove 1/2 of the potatos, gravy, pork chops/meat. Eat slower, and take at least 20 minutes to eat. Then wait before getting anything else. It takes time for our heads to realize that our tummys are full.

A mild work out in the afternoon also helps to curb appetites, for me at least. As does drinking plenty of water. Sometimes when we think we are hungry, we are actually thirsty.

Biggest thing, don't beat yourself up when there are days you fail. Just start the next day with a determination to succeed. And you will!

Best of luck!
  • beverlywu
    beverlywu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've customized my mealtimes on MFP to the following:

Breakfast -9:30
    Snack 9:30-11:30
    Lunch 11:30-1:30
    Snack 1:30-3:30
    Snack 3:30-5:30
    Dinner 5:30-8:30

300 calorie meals, 100 calorie snacks. More allowed if you exercise that day!

Drink lots of water or tea. Maybe try PGX granules or pills if you want to add something - it's a soluble fiber supplement that helps you feel fuller and regulates your blood sugar so you don't crash and feel super hungry in between meals and snacks.

And it does take a week or so for your stomach to get used to eating less and during that week I know my brain does the exact same thing - screaming I'M HUNGRY!!!!! ALL THE TIME!!! but eventually it gets the idea.

Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Even I am feeling very hungry since 2 days .... For past 2 weeks, I was eating very balanced and lost 3.1 lbs and on medication too.... But yesterday, I was feeling very hungry and weak too. Couldn;t stand the kitchen work for more than 40 mins..I usually can work for hours long ..... Don't know at this point where my health is not so good, I should eat more food or should I compensate the eating with more of veggies and fruits and try to stay on track. I am so confused. I don wanna gain those lost 3 lbs and wanna have energy to do some workouts (Got JM 30 day shred dvd) which am eager to start.

Please suggest.

PS: I am a pure vegetarian. All I can take are veggies, fruits and lentils. Thank you all for your guidance :)

If you're vegetarian you may have low iron. That was a big problem for me when I was vegetarian. Make sure you're eating a lot of protein and iron rich foods.