no weight loss yet, and i get so hungry!!!

Options

Replies

• Tsoper
    Tsoper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure that I eat every 3 hours. Even a little something can keep you from getting super hungry. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water! Don't forget to eat enough protein too! For example I eat breakfast around 7:30 - which is usually oatmeal with fruit, a mid morning snack at 10:00ish - some thing simple like Greek yogurt or protein bar, I eat lunch at 12:30 - a salad with turkey or chicken, afternoon snack at 3:00ish a piece of fruit or small serving of almonds & eat dinner around 6:30 - 7. It's not a perfect schedule but it is the best that I can do with work. You will find something that works for you, just keep trying!
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You need to stop thinking about yourself as dieting. You need to be on a journey of a healthy lifestyle. This would benefit your whole family so you shouldn't need to have different food for them than for you. Still - healthy high-protien snacks mid-afternoon do wonders!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    If possible make breakfast your largest meal or even lunch but not dinner. Add in a lean protein and to each meal and work in some fiber/bran. That will allow you to stay full longer.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eggs are my favorite food as of lately. When I eat 2 scrambled with a bit of skim milk and some whole wheat toast, I am not hungry for SO many hours. But like others have already said, nuts with a ton of water will do wonders for you.
  • sassy0507
    Options
    i get hungry around 3-4:30 everyday even when i have eaten a decent lunch...i bring an apple or even breakfst bars, or even peanuts...try some of those...and PLENTY of water...water helps to curb your appetite so with water and a small protein snack, you will be less likely to "pig out" (like i'm guilty of LOL) at dinner time...hope it helps...good luck!:smile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    No idea what you're eating or how much weight you have to lose, but if you're hungry it's probably because you're eating crap.

Eat lots of fresh vegetables, lean meats, pulses, stop eating things with sugar, you know what you should be eating, do it.

Of course you might already be doing that, who knows? If you want specific help, make your diary public.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into eating?
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I started this on Jan 2, 2012 and have just in the last week started to see some loss of weight. I bring a small baggie of baby carrots to work most days and that is what I munch on when the afternoon hunger strikes. I walk at lunch time and my lunch is a turkey wrap with mustard which I eat as I walk. Many of the suggestions to your post are good advice so you have many options to choose from. Keep working on it and you will soon see some results.
  • maryanngildard
    maryanngildard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all I think that it's great that you are making the effort to make a change and aren't afraid to reach out for suggestions! Also, I agree with all the previous posts about finding healthy snacks that get you through the day and between meal times, it really makes a difference! I pack a banana or almonds or rice cakes with peanut butter so I feel fuller and get the extra energy I need. I would also suggest trying to make your lunch the biggest/heaviest meal of your day because it will help propel you through the rest of the day with enough energy and you may not be as hungry during dinner. I try to use lunch to eat healthy recipes with rice or pasta and protein with lots of veggies too! I bring mine to work and microwave it in tuppaware.

It's important to bring healthy snacks making them more convenient than going to the vending machine! The best thing that has helped me is planning out all my meals for the day the night before, or in the morning. That way I don't over eat, but also so I don't under eat! It allows me to say hey, I really want to eat this pasta meal for lunch so maybe I'll create a lighter dinner with different snacks today. I am only allotted 1200 calories right now, but I have been making healthier choices all around that are better for my body and are in my calorie range! I work in restraunts so it's especially hard for me not to reach for fries or bread and butter for a quick snack, but now I bring a sweet potato and eat that as a snack sometimes. It's low in calories and it on'y takes about 6 mins to cook in the microwave (less if you bake it ahead of time). I feel more full longer and I feel good knowing that it's good for me and I'm reaching my goals!

As far as family dinners are concerned, I have had issues with that at home too but since I'm the one that does most of the cooking I try to find healthy recipes online that the whole family can enjoy! The other night I made a lemony-garlic pasta with shrimp and veggies in a cream sauce and didn't tell anyone that the sauce was made with fat free extra protein greek yogurt and everyone loved it! Try making cauliflour mashed potatoes for a healthy alternative!

GOOD LUCK and keep at it! You're off to a great start!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Looking for answers too. The last 2 days I have been starving. Drinking lots of water & not eating different. Had a scrambled egg with a slice of wheat toast & half a banana for breakfast. Waiting 3 hours for my snack was torture. Had a half a cup of cottage cheese & an orange for a snack and was hungry half an hour later. Not really due for lunch for another 45min but I'm SO hungry.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My suggestion..... if you want sound advice from the MFP folks.... make your food diary public, give the folks some insight and then we can help!

Good luck on your journey!
    J
  • agoldlife
    Options
    I try to make lunch my biggest meal because our bodies metabolism peaks between 12 and 2pm. I cook in the evening and pack a "dinner" portion for my lunch the next day. I eat a "lunch" sized portion at dinner time with my family. By the way my family ranges from 4 to 42. I serve vegetables with every meal. I also keep a bowl of nuts, fresh and dried fruits on my desk at work and in my kitchen at home.
  • mlc3409
    mlc3409 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You need to stop thinking about yourself as dieting. You need to be on a journey of a healthy lifestyle. This would benefit your whole family so you shouldn't need to have different food for them than for you. Still - healthy high-protien snacks mid-afternoon do wonders!

You are SO right with this statement. The ONLY Reason that I am losing so easily now is because I STOPPED DIETING!!! I Just now know I have a certain number of Calories to eat a day (Just like money in my checking account) you can only spend so much so I track it just like that. Food is a Debit against my account and Exercise is a Deposit. and I use MFP Like my check book. Dont stress about WHAT YOUR eating as long as you are tracking ...the POSITIVE CHoices will come in time when you start seeing yourself overdrawn a few times and realize your not getting enough for your money lol.

Now relate it all to something YOU understand and just relax. Enjoy the new freedom and learn how to get the best of it.

PS Email me anytime you have a question or need help. That is what we are here for SUPPORT!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kristconrath
    Options
    I really feel for you and understand. My main cravings occur in the evening and it's a non-stop fight to keep from eating everything in my house. And, like you, I sure wish there was a pill that would stop it...but there isn't. The most you can do is try...attempt to figure out what your triggers are and how to avoid them. When cooking meals, include things for you that are beneficial to you and your weight loss. You can still cook everything for everyone but don't forget about the most important person in the equasion...YOU!

Think about it...no on else can do it for you. Ask your family for support and encouragement. And don't worry about no weigh loss yet, your body has to catch up with you and it might take a little time. And sometimes even though you may think you are eating less because you cut down on your meals, eating snacks throughout the day may add up too. Be conscious of everything you eat and why you eat it. Focus on getting your protein and cutting fat. You can do it, I believe in you!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Looking for answers too. The last 2 days I have been starving. Drinking lots of water & not eating different. Had a scrambled egg with a slice of wheat toast & half a banana for breakfast. Waiting 3 hours for my snack was torture. Had a half a cup of cottage cheese & an orange for a snack and was hungry half an hour later. Not really due for lunch for another 45min but I'm SO hungry.
    I'd suggest having two eggs for breakfast (better still two eggs AND the whites of a couple of eggs) and not having the banana, and having a piece of bread with the cottage cheese instead of an orange. Then later, have lots of vegetables with your dinner. That will help you to feel fuller.

Yes the fruit contains fruit sugars, which some think are better for you than refined sugars (I have my doubts, refined sugar does still come from plants!) and yes eating fruit is far healthier in terms of macros and fibre than eating other sugary snacks but vegetables are far far better for weight loss than eating fruit, and I find that if I eat anything sugary (whether it's fruit with a high sugar content, or chocolate) I end up very hungry a few hours later when my blood sugar crashes.

EDITED TO ADD: What also helps is concentrating on what you're eating and enjoying it (hunger has a psychological element too) and drinking something low calorie such as water with the meal so it fills the stomach more.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Your body will be hungry if it is not getting the nutrients it needs. I am not talking about calories here but vitamins/minerals/etc, so when you reduce your calories coming in you also reduce the amount of nutrients your body needs as well. If you want to diet and not be hungry it is important to keep your intake of nutritional foods high which is normally going to come from vegetables, meats, and a little bit of fruit. Foods like rice/grains/wheat truely provide very little nutrition for the calories they contain. Here is some analysis I did on nutrient density in foods:

http://www.fatguyweightloss.com/real-nutrient-densities-of-foods-we-eat/
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to do when i get SO hungry usually in the afternoon, I am new to this,, and keep thinking if there was a pill that worked to help me,, but been there done that dont work,,,,my supper is my biggest meal, and due to family i have to cook approperiatly for my wide range family ages and NOT dieting folk any idia's? please and thank you

Your breakfast should always be your biggest meal. It is the meal that fuels your body for the day to come. Try making dinner the smallest meal and make sure to snack healthy through out the entire day.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options

Switch to three eggs with some spinach mixed in with about 1/2 ounce of ham or sausage. This is actually the same number of calories (296) as your meal but this one will last you until lunch, no snack needed.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    And don't think of foods as "breakfast foods" or dinner etc. some oatmeal with a tablespoon of pecans on top will keep you full and satisfied, I ate that the other night for dinner, but you could certainly eat it as a snack in the afternoon. Just make sure it's not instant oatmeal which has a ton of sugar. But the fiber and fat from the nuts, very satisfying.

One time I had chicken and rice for breakfast, someone at work balked at it, but whatever, it's protein and a little carb, I don't mind reheated chicken, but I'm not a huge fan of reheated scrambled eggs, so it was no different then me eating eggs and toast.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Dinner tends to be the biggest meal for me as well since hubby's not dieting and frankly I like eating normal food! Nothing wrong with eating what everyone else does, the key is to make sure you're eating a smaller portion. For the typical, meat, potatoes and veggie meal, I take a small portion of meat and potatoe and fill the rest of my plate with veggies. For casseroles, try cutting down the meat and pasta/rice amounts and bulk up with more vegetables (peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, etc). Another thing you could do is have a salad on the side just for you if they don't care for veggies.

One other tip that most people don't think about is your calorie limit. Maybe you set your goal too high so your calories are too low. If you're trying to lose more than 1 pound per week, your calorie limit is too restrictive for the amount your trying to lose (going by what's on your ticker on your profile page). Try to fit in exercise when you can to earn extra calories to make up the difference too. I don't think I would've been as successful as I have been if I didn't do that!

Good luck