Exercise Calories

Options
What do you guys do with them? I havent really been eatting them well really it has only been two days since I started working out....but I find I am not really hungary for them....so just wanted to see what others do either eat them or leave them:)

Replies

• junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat them, sometimes I don't. I most always use them as a nice cushion to pad my normal daily goals. Once I get the exercise in I don't feel near as restricted on what I can have since I added more calories available to my day.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    I do not eat them. I may eat like 50-100 of them depending on what my meal plan for the day looks like but i dont plan on eating them.
  • mimiluci07
    Options
    i usually don't eat them because it shows that i burn off a meal... it makes me happy =)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    don't eat if you are not hungry. I Never eat back exercised calories-doesn't make sense to me but you will find most on here will stir up quite a fuss over this topic-good luck and do what works for YOU.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use them as a cushion on the weekends when I eat out, all the other days I don't eat them back except when I go over a little on my daily calorie count.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I eat them as well. Use them for all sorts of neat things like pizza and burgers. If I don't, I run the risk of NOT eating ENOUGH calories and dropping below my minimum calorie threshold for the day.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eat some of them. If you are working out and burning few calories (100-200), I would say it doesn't really matter what you do because your diet should vary from 100-200 calories daily anyway. But if you're heavily active (750-1000+), I would say eat back around 50-75% of them.

I zig-zag calories and don't really base my day's calories off of my workout schedule but you need to fuel your body in order for it to burn fat (assuming you're doing aerobic activity) instead of muscle.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do with them? I havent really been eatting them well really it has only been two days since I started working out....but I find I am not really hungary for them....so just wanted to see what others do either eat them or leave them:)
    It's best to eat your exercise calories.
    Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories.
    Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be?
    In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more.
    Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.

Be efficient.
    Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, eating my exercise calories are WHY I work out. It looks like I'm in the minority though, at least for this post. I did, however, make it to my goal weight doing so. :)
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight without eating them, my MFP says I have to eat 1680 cals a day, so I try to stick close to that with or without exercising. Find out what works best for you, but always make sure you net 1200 a day!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    It's best to eat your exercise calories.
    Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week.
    That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up.
    Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories.
    Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be?
    In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more.
    Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.

Be efficient.
    Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
    ^this.
    i always eat mine.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Yum! That's my favorite kind of calorie to eat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I like to get out the yarn and some popsicle sticks, and sometimes finger paint and make little crafts with them.
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i make pasta with them!!!!
  • dreamer1003
    dreamer1003 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this, I have been asking myself the same thing. I usually try to burn 450 - 900 calories 5 days a week. I find it next to impossible to eat all those back in healthy foods. So I usually have some milk or a protein shake to add some of them back in. But, I haven't really been losing like I want to either so I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong or if just being impatient.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em! Gives me an even better reason to push harder through my workouts (so I'll have more calories to consume ;-). I'm another one who reached my goal by eating back my exercise cals. I'm actually BELOW my goal weight...............
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I normally eat them, but if I'm not hungry, I'm just not hungry. Granted, I rarely burn a "holy cow" amount of calories, but still.... if I get home, and as long as I've still netted 1200 calories for the day, I'm happy.
  • vcardenas87
    vcardenas87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to eat back some of these calories? I burn between 700-900 calories after working out (Muay Thai kicks my butt!!) but when I get home I'm never sure how to eat back some calories so that I'm at least at 1200 calories for the day. (My max goal is about 1790 but there's only so much I can eat)

Any suggestions?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to eat back some of these calories? I burn between 700-900 calories after working out (Muay Thai kicks my butt!!) but when I get home I'm never sure how to eat back some calories so that I'm at least at 1200 calories for the day. (My max goal is about 1790 but there's only so much I can eat)

Any suggestions?

plan ahead. spread your calories throughout the day.
  • Tladyone
    Tladyone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That sounds reasonable!