does weight loss cause this? LADIES!

Options
this may be a little too personal, but i don't know who else to ask. AND BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING, I HAVE SCHEDULED A DOCTOR'S VISIT, but it's still a month off and i'd like to know people's experiences.

since july of 2010, i have lost 40 pounds, which is great. i was loving all this weight loss until about 15 pounds ago...

when i hit the 190-ish mark, i started to have a really heavy period that just won't go away! it's been like 2 months of on and off bleeding and cramping. it seems to get worse when i work out really hard.

I JUST BEAT CERVICAL CANCER IN JULY!!!!! all my checks have come back normal since then, so i have no idea what's going on!

i don't know what to do. i did all this dieting to feel better about myself, but i'm miserable. i'm always in pain and bloated and my boyfriend won't even touch me.

i'm on birth control, have been for 4 years. before my weight loss, my blood work was normal and i had a normal menstrual cycle. i don't have PCOS.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Replies

• rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    i dont think thats related to your weight loss. since i've lost weight, i've noticed mine has gotten lighter and easier to handle.

however, i'm also anemic and before i took my iron supplements, my period was a lot like yours. have you been checked for that?
  • rugbyphreak
    Options
    yupp, i'm on an iron pill already. that's the only thing keeping me from anemic shock right now.

i can't believe it takes over a month to get an appointment even with an emergency!
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Honestly? This sounds like something that should be evaluated sooner rather than later. You could be having a bad reaction to the birth control; in any case, losing a lot of blood like that needs to be sussed pronto. Call your doc's office and insist on an appointment asap!
  • rugbyphreak
    Options
    my doctor delivers babies so she doesn't always have the time. i went to the school's nurse practitioner and she couldn't do anything for me.
  • Tajdancer
    Options
    Sorry, posted the same time you did. I would call and calmly explain that you need to be seen immediately. Don't take no for an answer. Go there in person and make a scene if you have to. If you have a friend or relative who could be a b!tch for you, ask them to help. (Sometimes it's easier to be a b!tch for someone else than for ourself!) Good luck!
  • miriamparkinson
    miriamparkinson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would definitely push for an earlier appt - even visit emergency and wait around until someone will see you.

It sounds like PCOS but if that's already been checked and ruled out then I'm not sure what it could be except that it's a pretty serious symptom and should be checked out ASAP!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping for the best for your situation... call your physician and explain that it is an emergency that cannot wait. Any reputable doctor would fit you in ASAP.
  • rugbyphreak
    Options
    i've asked for any doctor in that clinic and they're all swamped. my only other choice is the ER and they would just put me on blood thickeners and pass me off to the same set of doctors that don't have time for me now.
  • blessmy5
    Options
    yupp, i'm on an iron pill already. that's the only thing keeping me from anemic shock right now.

i can't believe it takes over a month to get an appointment even with an emergency!

I agree. Call and get an appointment ASAP and don't take NO for an answer. I have to tell my mom that sometimes you have to put on your "bi*ch" hat. Now's the time girlfriend!
  • Tajdancer
    Options
    Ugh, don't you just love American-style "health care"? Is there a Planned Parenthood in your area? Maybe they can help.
  • rugbyphreak
    Options
    i'm just going to have to keep calling and begging for a better appointment.
  • rugbyphreak
    Options
    yes, their is a planned parenthood in the area, but they're booked full because of the slow system here. the only doctor that ever fits me in immediately is my chiropractor. theirs something wrong with that...
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    hunny thats not normally. you need to get in ASAP.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the ER and insist they run tests on me. This is NOT normal and must be checked ASAP.
  • Tajdancer
    Options
    How do you know that this is what the ER docs would do? Have you been in this situation before?

My advice: go to the ER (if you can afford it). At least you've done due diligence and perhaps whatever they do for you will alleviate your symptoms until you can get a thorough evaluation from your doc.

Failing that, I'd start googling your symptoms and reading up. Try to separate the wheat from the chaff. Not ideal, I realize, but sometimes our health care system is so broken it leaves us few viable choices.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting in to a general practitioner? They can at least start testing for things even if you do need to go to the gyno as well.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sometimes doctors are on an incentive plan to keep their patients out of the ER. I'd call and let them know that if they can't fit you in you will be heading to the ER. Take someone with you - it always helps to have another set of ears and to be your advocate.

BTW - love the pic on your ticker! My in-laws are Kiwi's and huge All Blacks fans.
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    With that amount of bleeding your Nurse practitioner should have ordered blood work, at the very least an H&H. Call your oncologist too. Maybe you need a biopsy of your uterine wall. It is ridiculous and potentially unsafe that they are making you wait.
  • ChristinaMcKeever
    ChristinaMcKeever Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i thought the weight loss was due to my very heavy periods and pain/cramping, my doctor suggested putting me on a different birth control the one i was on i had been on for many years... maybe discuss that option with your doctor i hope all goes well for you, i haven't started my new birth control yet so i don't know if that will solve my problem but definitely bring it up to your gyno...