It is not good idea to count calories in vegetables!!

Options

Replies

• Quarrysider
    Quarrysider Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb.. "in your mouth .. on your log "

I'm too perverted to take this how you meant it.

me too .....

ummm me three

Wow. There's an entry in the database for THAT??!!!:huh: :wink: *wanders off to see how many calories....*:wink: (OK, sorry, I'll get my coat...)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Well that may be but on a menu in a restaurant they are listed under veggies. When little kids wont eat their veggies, many times they are refering to green beans or peas. When I order a sandwich at Jasons and opt for the fruit cup they never bring me a side of beans. By the book they may be a legume, or a fruit, or for some people they may be considered a protein. But for most of us in the every day, day in and day out world we live in here in the U.S. we consider beans and peas a vegetable.

I live in the U.S. and never have I considered a can of Ranch Style Beans a veggie.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    You bet they have calories! The green leafy ones not so much, but their are some that do, like avocados which have fat and potatoes which are loaded with sugar, if you ate nothing but potatoes everyday with every meal I would imagine it may stall your weight loss, I think it just depends on how in depth you want your diary to be, I log EVERYTHING when I go over, and when I stay under I need to hold myself accountable, whatever works for you.
  • Flash17k
    Flash17k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I even add the values from my daily multi-vitamins!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Isn't pizza technically a vegetable now in the US? *orders domino's*
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Personally, I count EVERYTHING. Even the cod-liver pills I take sometimes. They are 5calories each.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Personally I count nothing....at all.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Me 2...lol
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Isn't pizza technically a vegetable now in the US? *orders domino's*

LIKE!!!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Me 2...lol

As do I! I log everything, even the celery I put in my blender.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Lols.

duty_calls.png

I can't believe we made it 9 pages without this.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Yet universally pretty much every study ever done that played with macro-nutrient ratios and kept calories consistent has shown otherwise.

In this trial, the low carb group actually ate more calories a day, and lost more weight, showed no increased risk factors over the low fat group (which ate less calories), lost more weight, and improved insulin resistance as opposed to the low fat group.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022637#t=articleTop

There are approximately a billion more like it. But this one proves my point so I will exit here.
    Actually, it doesn't prove your point - I suppose you didn't actually read the article?

From Table 3. Change from Base Line in the Composition of the Two Diets at Six Months
    Total calories per day

Low fat diet
    baseline: 1848 +/- 1338
    6 months: 1578 +/- 760
    absolute change: -271 +/- 1260

low-carbohydrate diet
    baseline: 2090 +/- 1055
    6 months: 1630 +/- 894
    absolute change -460 +/-902
    P value of absolute change between groups = 0.33

So, the average absolute calorie reduction was HIGHER in the low carb group, but because there was so much variability in the calorie count a P value of 0.33 means that the differences between the two groups was not statistically significant. From a statistical standpoint the two diets could be considered equivalent in calorie intake. And the low carb group lost more total weight because they lost more water weight - which is a noted physiological effect of reduced glycogen and accompanying water molecules stored. If you look at the study endpoints, scale weight and waist size were the only body composition measurements recorded, NOT body fat percentage.

Direct quote from the discussion: "The greater weight loss in the low-carbohydrate group suggests a greater reduction in overall caloric intake, rather than a direct effect of macronutrient composition. However, the explanation for this difference is not clear. Subjects in this group may have experienced greater satiety on a diet with liberal proportions of protein and fat. However, other potential explanations include the simplicity of the diet and improved compliance related to the novelty of the diet."

Science FTW.
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know a woman, personally not on this site, and she told me the exact same thing. She eats around 1600 calories and does not count her veggies. She lost 149lbs. I count everything at this stage, because I am holding myself accountable for everything that passes through my lips. But tried and true, my friend did not count her veggies and she did it!

I agree...it's about accountability. Being accountable for everything you eat. and it's fun
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    potatos ARE a vegetable. Just because it's not a super healthy vegetable, doesn't mean it's not one. You can't pick and choose what are and aren't vegetables.

You're right, you cannot. So you cannot decide potatoes are a vegetable, just because they are eaten as a side dish by many Americans.

From Wikipedia alone:

"The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial Solanum tuberosum of the Solanaceae family (also known as the nightshades). The word potato may refer to the plant itself as well as the edible tuber. "

Potatoes=tubers.

And tubers are a type of vegetable. If you look it up on wikipedia it says root vegetable, here is another definition of tuber: root vegetable - any of various fleshy edible underground roots or tubers
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't know why we are debating what justifys a vegetable, fruit, tuber, protein, legume; when some people can't even accept the ideal that a calorie is a calorie. If I was not going to count veggies because they have only a few calories ( I am not speaking about the low calorie veggies........ onions, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, peppers, etc...) then I would see no reason to add the chocolate peppermint sticks that are only 17 calories a piece.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I take flax oil capsules and they are 10 cal each and I log those too. LOL Even the tsp of turmeric I take everyday I log (8 cal each.)

P.S. Please say no to "veggies" out of a can. It's not just about calories and being thinner. You want your insides to be healthy and match the outside. You can get farm fresh organic fruits and veggies delivered to your door in many areas for relatively cheap. I pay $88 a month and get huge boxes delivered to my doorstep through a CSA. There are tons of CSA (community supported agriculture) around the US and it's fresh and sans chemicals or GMOs.
  • jersanter
    jersanter Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a bit more veggies with your meals, I can see the logic, but if you are lining up your veggies in a horse trough or a feed bag then you have a problem and will definitely see a gain in weight. Those who are saying they know a guy who knows a girl that lost 200lbs eating veggies and not counting their calories are probably correct. It’s probably was done spread out throughout their days though and that couldn’t hurt any in my opinion.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    potatos ARE a vegetable. Just because it's not a super healthy vegetable, doesn't mean it's not one. You can't pick and choose what are and aren't vegetables.

You're right, you cannot. So you cannot decide potatoes are a vegetable, just because they are eaten as a side dish by many Americans.

From Wikipedia alone:

"The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial Solanum tuberosum of the Solanaceae family (also known as the nightshades). The word potato may refer to the plant itself as well as the edible tuber. "

Potatoes=tubers.

You're so smart. :huh:

I'm just pointing something out because, for many of us, misinformation is what got us to be overweight. Weight loss and this entire journey is a learning process, and sometimes we have to be willing to throw out old beliefs. Good luck with your journey. x
  • sabrianna
    Options
    I always count every calories that goes in my body because ever calories will make you fat. You have to control it because if you mot control it the food will do it!!! Every cals make you fat so count every calories. I even count my beverage and my gums.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I don't know why we are debating what justifys a vegetable, fruit, tuber, protein, legume; when some people can't even accept the ideal that a calorie is a calorie. If I was not going to count veggies because they have only a few calories ( I am not speaking about the low calorie veggies........ onions, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, peppers, etc...) then I would see no reason to add the chocolate peppermint sticks that are only 17 calories a piece.

The point of pointing out tubers, starches, legumes, whatever, is that explaining that shows why not counting "veggies" can be a bad piece of advice for many people -- because many people do not really understand what a vegetable is. Not counting cruciferous vegetables and leafy greens probably won't hurt most -- especially if they are prepared raw/steamed/etc -- but not counting beans, corn, etc. could get you into caloric trouble pretty quickly.

You're right, a calorie is a calorie when you are tracking overall deficit, and we agree that everything should be tracked.