Is this possible? 911 calorie burn in 80 minutes?

Options
Hello guys!!!

How is everyone?

I've been working out for the last 4 months using StrongLifts 5X5 program. Last week I took my brother HRM to the gym just to see how many calories I'd burn. To get the sweat going and enable the HRM to track my calories I did a warm up on a bike for 8 minutes at moderate resistance. The display showed I burned about 60 calories in the 8 minutes. I was off to the lifting room right after and spent about an hour there doing work out consisting of Squats with 120 lbs of weight. Bench press with 160 lbs. Inverted rows with 160 lbs. 70 push ups and doing planks for 3 minutes. After the weighting room I was back to Cardio. For 20 minutes I ran for about 15-20 minutes burning around 150 cals based on the machines information.

When I got home I checked the caloric burn that I had during the work out and it showed I burned 911 calories. Is that possible? Seems a little too much for me. What do you guys think?

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    if you used your HRM correctly, you burned 911 calories. GREAT JOB! now go eat something!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    No you HRM is telling you to CALL 911 cause you are getting so swole!

Haha joking aside, i burnt around 2,000 calories yesterday rock climbing for 2 hours so 900 cal in 80 is very possible.
  • SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    911 calories.

Never Forget.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    possible yes, but if you HRM said that then you probably didn't burn that many, HRM's are not accurate when it comes to strength training. The calculation used assumes a certain oxygen uptake that only occurs during cardio. So while you were lifting your HR does go up but your HR assumes it is going up due to the same physiological factors that cause it to go up during steady state cardio, which it does not, and will over estimate your burn for everything other than cardio.
  • hkussatz
    Options
    I think its possible! I've been checking activity calculators and a good taebo workout can burn almost 900 calories in an hr. If thats accurately then it is definately possible for you to burn 911 in 80 mins! Keep up the good work.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    if you used your HRM correctly, you burned 911 calories. GREAT JOB! now go eat something!

:laugh: this
  • StevieBonezz
    Options
    Newsqueeze...you made me cry laughing. We will always remember.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    HRM are very accurate! :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    911 calories.

Never Forget.

I laughed so hard at this, and now I feel bad >_< LOL
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No, HRM's are not accurate when it comes to strength training. The calculation used assumes a certain oxygen uptake that only occurs during cardio. So while you were lifting your HR does go up but your HR assumes it is going up due to the same physiological factors that cause it to go up during steady state cardio, which it does not, and will over estimate your burn for everything other than cardio.

Thanks for this. I did not know that!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Did you set the HRM to your body weight and height?
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Cut the cals in half for weights. You figure your only lifting half the time instead of resting right? Or maybe 1/3. Its very hard to tell.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    You have to set heart rate monitor with your stats, did you make sure to do that? I mean I ask because you mentioned it was your brother's HRM. It will be more accurate with your stats and not his.

And like another person commented on here already, I have also read that HRMs don't accurately measure the calories you burn during strength training.

I'm no saying you did not burn 911 calories, maybe you did burn that (or less, or more!). I'm just saying I wouldn't trust that number so much.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    911 calories.

Never Forget.

LOL!!!!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Sure its possible. I had a 758 burn this am in 76 min of kettlebell conditioning. WTG on your burn!
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No you HRM is telling you to CALL 911 cause you are getting so swole!

Haha joking aside, i burnt around 2,000 calories yesterday rock climbing for 2 hours so 900 cal in 80 is very possible.

I am SUPER jealous! I wish I could go do that! Did you boulder, or what?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, I always use what the hrm tells me I burned for weight lifting, even though I'm sure it's too high for the session, because a wonderful thing about weight lifting is that you continue to burn cals for hours afterwards, so I figure it all balances out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRM are very accurate! :)

Only for cardio activities, not strength training.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sure it's possible. If you were to jog for that amount of time...you'd probably burn even more.
  • daeljo
    daeljo Posts: 38
    Options
    911 calories.

Never Forget.

Bahhaha!