Is this possible? 911 calorie burn in 80 minutes?

Options

Replies

• athearenee
    Options
    Sounds like the Ultimate Burn!!
    I believe that's called muscle confusion...switching it up and challenging different muscles.
    That's Awesome!!
    Great Job =):noway:
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I burn about 800 in 60 min doing a very intense workout. The more you weigh the more you burn too! Get a heart rate monitor, like a Polar FT4, it will be very accurate.

It's possible to do 900 in 80 mins!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    possible yes, but if you HRM said that then you probably didn't burn that many, HRM's are not accurate when it comes to strength training. The calculation used assumes a certain oxygen uptake that only occurs during cardio. So while you were lifting your HR does go up but your HR assumes it is going up due to the same physiological factors that cause it to go up during steady state cardio, which it does not, and will over estimate your burn for everything other than cardio.

I don't want to hijack the thread - and I absolutely believe you on this - but I'm wondering the most accurate way to account for your burn when strength training?
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    ive done that doing zumba before.
  • Ready4Battle
    Options
    possible yes, but if you HRM said that then you probably didn't burn that many, HRM's are not accurate when it comes to strength training. The calculation used assumes a certain oxygen uptake that only occurs during cardio. So while you were lifting your HR does go up but your HR assumes it is going up due to the same physiological factors that cause it to go up during steady state cardio, which it does not, and will over estimate your burn for everything other than cardio.

I still don't buy this. It might be scientific, but just like BMI calculations, it's all speculation. I guarantee I burn more with my weight training in 45 minutes than someone jogging on a treadmill for 45. I don't see how it can possibly be valid if someone that weight trains super sets all exercises, works the entire body, and never takes a break.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    ALSO, HRM work more accurately when you have your VO2 set right in the HRM!!! Just an FYI
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yes its possible! i know that i burn 1000 calories in zumba in only 60 minutes! it depends on how hard you are working and how much you weigh
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I burned 1115 calories on the treadmill once... i shoveled last weekend and i burned 985 calories...

yep its possible..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I still don't buy this. It might be scientific, but just like BMI calculations, it's all speculation. I guarantee I burn more with my weight training in 45 minutes than someone jogging on a treadmill for 45. I don't see how it can possibly be valid if someone that weight trains super sets all exercises, works the entire body, and never takes a break.

In that case you may burn more than your HRM says, but you HRM will not be correct.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    whats VO2?
  • erickirb
    Options

I don't want to hijack the thread - and I absolutely believe you on this - but I'm wondering the most accurate way to account for your burn when strength training?

That is a great question. I am not 100% sure, but I would probably want to use a bodybugg or fitbit to get a better estimate than an HRM.
  • erickirb
    Options
    whats VO2?

volume of oxygen uptake. V02Max is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and use oxygen during exercise. Also known as: maximal oxygen consumption, maximal oxygen uptake, peak oxygen uptake or maximal aerobic capacity (not anaerobic (sprinting and strength training)
  • Ready4Battle
    Options

In that case you may burn more than your HRM says, but you HRM will not be correct.
    More, I'll give you that. This concept always baffles me. All in all it seems that there is no way to possibly know.....just don't over eat I guess.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

That is a great question. I am not 100% sure, but I would probably want to use a bodybugg or fitbit to get a better estimate than an HRM.

I might be wrong but I think the fitbit is just a glorified pedometer type thing. Think you might mean bodymedia fit?
  • kurtdjohnson1965
    Options
    I used to burn about 900 calories playing racquetball in about that length of time according to my HRM. Not sure I could last that long anymore though.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    Awesome information guys. Thanks for sharing!!!

I'll try to get my self a bodybugg but it's tough getting one shipped to Canada.

It does make sense that the HRM would overestimate resistance training a little bit. I guess I'll just try to count 2/3 of what the HRM shows me and also try to enter my stats into it before I get my bodybugg.

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Appreciate the info!!!

Have a great day!!!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    No you HRM is telling you to CALL 911 cause you are getting so swole!

Haha joking aside, i burnt around 2,000 calories yesterday rock climbing for 2 hours so 900 cal in 80 is very possible.

I am SUPER jealous! I wish I could go do that! Did you boulder, or what?

Nah i was top roping, was actually at the gym for about 4 hours, but since i don't count belaying my buddy as exercise, i just put 2hrs.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If that is what your HRM monitor said and if it is working properly - ABSOLUTELY!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes, its possible. I went jogging for 80min one day and burned 1142 calories.. I'm a plodder so I logged it as race walking NOT jogging cause i DONT just MFP.That gave me 842 calories:-)..That was still good enough for me. I dont have a HRM, I cant afford one. I rely completely on MFP and other sites to estimate my burns
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Running (Jogging) 9.5 minutes/mile for 77mins burned 1269 calories