Ruuners: Have you ever...

Options
gotten out on a run and gone to far or too hard or eaten the wrong thing, or gotten injured, and had to walk back home? What were the circumstances? How far were you? Did you walk? Get a ride?

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Luckily not yet. Most of my runs are circuits though as I don't like to carry a lot of things when I run. The only real time I had any issues was my first 16 mile run. Luckily I was doing 4 mile laps and I ended up only having to walk the last 1.5 miles back to my car.
  • artsiefartsiek
    Options
    Not yet, but for my first 10k I got a bloody nose halfway! That was a blast for the back half LOL!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I did once. I think it was more mental than physical, but eventually last Summer, my long runs (10-ish miles) were getting too hard for me. I could run that amount, no problem a month before, but suddenly, I would either need to stop to pee or start to feel like I was going to throw up or just feel exhausted and like I couldn't go on. One Sunday, I just couldn't do it. I was a little more than halfway and had to call and wake my husband. I had stopped and started walking home but it would've taken ages and with every step, I felt a little more like I might throw up. I haven't really run since. :(
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    At my very first 5k I got tripped at the starting line by a gentlemen trying to pass me (he didn't account for my long stride). I ended up with a wrist sprained, and bad road rash on both hands, and down half of one leg. I ran the rest of the race all bloody and dirty. I managed to finish in 29:33 and I'm super proud of that. After the race I waited for my mom and sister to finish. She said i looked a little off so i opened my bloody palms and said "Do you think I should go to the med tent?" She gasped and ask why I didn't stop sooner LOL The medic was able to clean me up and there's not a lot of scarring, but that race sure was memorable.

Oh, and the gentleman found me after i got all bandaged up and apologized very nicely :P
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I tripped and fell off a curb literally 1 minute into my run. I went back home, cleaned up and finished my run.

Another time I tripped and hit the sidewalk hard (took the brunt on my shoulder). I was literally 1 mile into a planned 20 miler - I had to go back home and call it a day.

BTW - I don't fall a lot, I just run a lot...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This happened to me on a long bike ride. Not a run. It was 105*, and I was cranking into a 30 mph southerly wind. I was so exhausted. I rode up to the porch of an abandon farm house and sat there for 30 minutes. Then rode home. Took me a couple days to recover from that. Didn't realize how much water I was losing because it was so hot and windy it evaporated quickly.
  • midnightsurfer
    midnightsurfer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    a little while ago i had bad stomach problems. went for a run, then a mile from my house i had some of the worst stomach cramps iv ever had, and had to walk the rest of the way home. my mum doesn't drive and my dad was at work. was so horrible. almost put me off running. but i love it too much :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes

1 time I was about 3 miles from home when stomach issues on a long run resulted in me calling DH for a ride.

Another time runner's math resulted in me being still 6 miles from home at the end of a 17 miler. Luckily an aunt lived about a half mile away and I was able to walk there and call for a ride. That would have been an ugly run/walk home especially as it had started to rain.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    This happened to me on a long bike ride. Not a run. It was 105*, and I was cranking into a 30 mph southerly wind. I was so exhausted. I rode up to the porch of an abandon farm house and sat there for 30 minutes. Then rode home. Took me a couple days to recover from that. Didn't realize how much water I was losing because it was so hot and windy it evaporated quickly.

LOL this happened to me on a long bike ride this summer. Way hot and not enough hydration in my bottles. I realized it when I was about halfway and I reached for my second bottle and downed almost half of it.

Long slow ride back
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I was out on a trail that's about 5k end to end ..... I was at the farthest point from my car when I twisted my ankle pretty badly...that was a long painful walk back. My friend gallantly offered to take off her shirt and soak it in the lake to make a cold wrap for it though - I always appreciate it when people offer to strip for me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

LOL this happened to me on a long bike ride this summer. Way hot and not enough hydration in my bottles. I realized it when I was about halfway and I reached for my second bottle and downed almost half of it.

Long slow ride back

Rides like that I take my 100oz Camelback..it was empty when I got home. I forgot to mention I had a granola bar during my stop.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My first run in the dark, I tripped at the farthest point from home (can't really blame the dark though, I just tripped over my own 2 feet:noway:) and had a horrific fall. Twisted my ankle, completely messed up my knee and scratched my HRM all up. I didn't have my cell phone with me and it was way too early for anyone to be around. I managed to get up and hobble along for awhile. I don't know how I did it, probably my stubbornness, but I finished my run. The moment I got home I realized I could barely walk, so I have no idea how I did it. My knee was twice the size and I found out the next day I also screwed up my shoulder and pec muscle. It was quite the tumble!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes! I planned a 4 mile run. Had to go 2 miles down road and come 2 miles back. Went out with nothing. It was summer and really hot. I had been sick. I went out and by the time I got to the end of the 2 miles, I realized I had made a bad call. Thought about trying to hitch a ride but I just took it slow back and kept taking breaks in the shade. Some orange juice when I got home and life was good.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think any runner has had a bad run from time to and just made it happen. I was only picked up once - I fell and was injured and bloody, I was miles from home and I still had to get back AND get to work w/in a reasonable time frame. I called my boss to come pick me up - cleaned up - and made it to work on time - dignity in tow, hurting, but was glad I made the decision to ask for help. Now when he knows I'm running, he tells me before hand he won't come get me :)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I probably shouldn't admit this... I've had a couple of GI flare-ups on runs. Luckily both times, it was 5:30AM, dark, on a secluded, rarely used trail. Both times I finished the run (with great discomfort), made it home, and lied through my teeth when my wife asked how my run went.

I was out on a 120 mile bike ride, during a heat wave. I thought I'd be fine, as I was riding in a rather cool area, and was doing a circuit, with plenty of iced water in my car. By mile 30, the wind picked up, quite strongly. So it was hellish gusts of bitter heat. By mile 80 I was wobbling all over the road, and cars - some with bikes on the back!!! - were honking at me. I gave up at 80 and headed home. I was a wreck for the next few days.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I nearly fainted while running (I opened my eyes before I hit the ground so I didn't technically faint, according to my doctor) and ate the ground. My knee and elbows were bleeding but I got right up and ran the mile I had left before reaching my front door.

You should've seen my husband's face. Poor thing!! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Somebody's loose dog (on a no dogs allowed trail) came at me from behind and knocked me down and I twisted my knee. He saw me running and thought it was play time I guess. I limped 4 miles back to my car. Took months to heal but I'm back in pretty good form.
  • runwithmike
    Options
    I was tackled by a Rhodesian Ridgeback last year. Thankfully it was winter and I was wearing layers, but the impart was so great that his jaw was imprinted into my side. It drew blood a little. I was 4 long miles away from where I was parked and had a difficult time breathing and was gasping for air trying to make my way back to my car.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes

1 time I was about 3 miles from home when stomach issues on a long run resulted in me calling DH for a ride.

Another time runner's math resulted in me being still 6 miles from home at the end of a 17 miler. Luckily an aunt lived about a half mile away and I was able to walk there and call for a ride. That would have been an ugly run/walk home especially as it had started to rain.

^^^ Ahahaha! Runner's Math! I love it! Happens to me frequently. I just want to go and go, and when I'm out in the middle of nowhere I realize I gotta come back...and it's a long way back...and the sun's going down...:blushing:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I tweaked a knee almost exactly 6 miles into a 12 mile out and back route (something like 6.1 miles, right after I turned back). That kinda sucked.