Ruuners: Have you ever...

Options
2»

Replies

• Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 mile run. It was five miles from my house and back. I live in Florida and it was June. My clothes were soaked and I just couldn't do the last mile. I walked home.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I was at a park track when I tripped and fell. Awful skinned up knee and hurting wrists. For the longest time I couldn't bend my knee much because of the scab. Ohh! And I inhaled a bug a few days ago. That was a first.:tongue:
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    never from purely running. injured myself running while playing soccer though.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yep... had to jump out of the way of a car (driver reversed out of their driveway without even looking & nearly took me out; I wish I had video, 'cause I felt like superman flying out of the way, but am sure I looked far less graceful!). Took a huge gouge out of the heel of my right palm and scraped all along the right side of my leg; finished the ~1.5 miles left in my run bloody, but unbowed, though I sure got some strange looks (and offers to help) from people I passed on the way...
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I was at a park track when I tripped and fell. Awful skinned up knee and hurting wrists. For the longest time I couldn't bend my knee much because of the scab. Ohh! And I inhaled a bug a few days ago. That was a first.:tongue:

When I ride and run during the summer I generally eat so many bugs I don't ever have to worry about hitting my protein numbers...
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Not the worst injury but certainly could have been. I was traveling out in Seattle. It was my very first run of my trip. I had run from my Hotel all the way down to the Olympic sculpture park and through all the trails there and then down the edge of the water. The sun was just creeping up and I was making my way back. As I crossed that first road out of the park a Taxi was turning into me as I crossed and I put my hand out cause I didn't think he was going to stop and I lost my focus for a second and as my stride took me up on to the Curb I rolled my ankle and fell rolling head over heels 2 times. and back up on to my feet where I proceeded to limp around for a bit and regain my composure and enough pride to continue. I stretched my ankle a little and tentatively began to Limp run after a bout 100 yards it felt much better. When I got home I realized how bad it really hurt. I ran 2 more times that week but they were both slow and the ankle was sore for another week after.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    this weekend I was 5 miles into my run and had to walk to my car. Thank god I was on a tread mill...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I kept running on a stress fracture. It hurt a lot more when I stopped.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    On what was scheduled to be an 18-miler I fell full-length splayed on the pavement when I stuck my foot in a pot-hole left after an several icy weeks. I was pouring blood from my hands, arms and leg and didn't realise it at the time but I'd torn the tendons in my shoulder and wouldn't regain full mobility for a year. I'd broken my phone when I fell and it was a good 20 minutes before I reassembled it and got it working again. I called my poor old dad to come and pick me up in his car!

Now on long runs I go in three-mile loops coming back past my home with each one. It's made me pretty scared of being too far from home if something goes wrong.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yep... quite a few times. Twisted ankles mainly but dehydration from drinking red wine the night before once or twice.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    this weekend I was 5 miles into my run and had to walk to my car. Thank god I was on a tread mill...
    LOL! Ok, this thread made me laugh. Hard. And not AT any of you...definitely WITH you. It's nice to know I'm not alone, because I've had a mishap or two myself. The worst one was GI issues during a race, which I cannot bring myself to share the details of.

Just know that I belong in this thread with the rest of you. :embarassed:
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm just starting to run and even if I wasn't using my cell for my c25k app this would make me be sure I carried my phone every time. Even if my husband isn't home my parents don't live too far away and would come get me if I was hurt.
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    got injured(stress fracture), had to untie my shoe and limp back to my truck. not my favorite day.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was doing a sprint triathalon and like halfway during the bike both my tires popped going over a railroad track and had to start walking and finally like hour later when the last person passed me I had to suck up the pride and let the person drive me back the last mile and a half (by the way it is hard to jog and hold on to your bicycle)
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    I tripped and fell on a brick side walk, split my knee cap open, went sliding a little. I was so embarrassed I just got up and kept running. Another women was trying to catch me and was asking if I was okay and I kept running with blood all down my leg.

There are other stories, but mostly due to heat exhaustion/dehydration since I live in S. FL, the heat is killer in the summer .
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not yet - although the first time I did more than 8miles I pushed too hard, did 12miles, got home, and my husband had t carry me up the stairs and help me undress, then help lift me into the bath, as everything had seized up :ohwell:
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    On what was scheduled to be an 18-miler I fell full-length splayed on the pavement when I stuck my foot in a pot-hole left after an several icy weeks. I was pouring blood from my hands, arms and leg and didn't realise it at the time but I'd torn the tendons in my shoulder and wouldn't regain full mobility for a year. I'd broken my phone when I fell and it was a good 20 minutes before I reassembled it and got it working again. I called my poor old dad to come and pick me up in his car!

Now on long runs I go in three-mile loops coming back past my home with each one. It's made me pretty scared of being too far from home if something goes wrong.

UGH, that sucks. It's good to stay close to home :) or at least make sure there are public facilities that have phones and water for you to use incase of emergency.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thankfully never anything serious. One time I had to limp back home because of a blister. Some lady stopped and was going to give me a ride back but I didn't think a blister deserved a ride back ;)

The most annoying incident was when I was about 150 yards away from my house and my sciatica kicked in and I couldn't move at all any more without the sharp pain going from my butt all the way down to my toes!

I just stood there and felt rather silly. Whenever a car drove by I pretended to look at the sky - hah! It finally got a little better, so I was able to limp home.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    As a person with IBS living in an area where I can't just run into the woods and take care of what needs to happen...I stick to the treadmill in my basement. It is safer for everyone in the area...myself included.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I did the stress fracture run, too -- I thought I was just sore after mile 6, and kept going to 8. But a week later I was limping around like a 98 year old lady. UGH. Barefoot running shoes, too -- bad call on my part.

I was running on a beach vacation once, running down the main road on the sidewalk, when a car comes out of a parking lot right in front of me. The timing was so close, I had to literally run along the front of the car while banging on the hood shouting "NO NO NO STOP STOP STOP!" Luckily the driver finally looked up and stopped so I could get around him. I shook for a little while after that one.