does anyone have a cheat day?

Options
And by cheat day I mean one meal a week where they eat whatever they want. I've heard of some people doing this and today I am guilty! I couldn't resist my usual "friday night chinese date" with my hubby. I guess we kind of used this for a reward for doing so well this past week. Might I add that my mindset is still to do good, this hasn't made me want to "give in." Anyone else out there feel what I am saying? ha :)

Replies

• bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Cheat was a must for me the first time I lost weight. I found playing with metabolism helped the weight loss.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've heard that they are actually benificial. Just don't go overboard. Have like a cheat meal if you can :)

I always get like a takeaway in the evening on weigh in day, don't feel deprived at all :)
  • andreacord
    Options
    I usually have a meal, but I went overboard last week so I just had a treat this weekend. Mmm cupcake.
  • toystee
    Options
    I have heard of many people having their cheat day. I myself am conscious of everything I eat, yet do not deny myself certain treats once in awhile. This keeps me from feeling like I have deprived myself of little pleasures. Keep the 'chinese' date, there is more than food involved......a healthy relationship :)
  • sbw2012
    sbw2012 Posts: 22
    Options
    Now thats what i like to hear! My husband has a friend that has lost 52 pounds over the past couple months and he has a cheat day. I am willing to give up anything....well except my craving for chinese food! We've been doing this for so long I think I will stick to it and maybe try to avoid the fried foods.
  • mrstscott
    Options
    Yes, cheat days are needed in my opinion.
  • mdulanto9177
    Options
    Sunday's are my cheat day and rest day...If I didn't have these, this would be harder to do!
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals because I am mot on a diet!! I enjoy my favorite foods in moderation and still lose weight!
  • TheCountryMomma
    TheCountryMomma Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh yes.....I think it would almost be insanity not to. Obviously don't go overboard, but there are those days where I think it's perfectly okay to slip a bit.....I had one of those days a bit today and will again tomorrow (my mom's birthday). Can't be too hard on yourself to stick to it 100% of the time....I think we would all go insane without those few slips.
  • cocopup
    Options
    Yes, my husband and I use Sundays as our cheat day. We do not log our foods on that day and we eat whatever we want. But, we do try not to overdo it. All in moderation. Then on Monday morning we are right back to logging and staying within our calorie limit. So far, working good for us.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    And by cheat day I mean one meal a week where they eat whatever they want. I've heard of some people doing this and today I am guilty! I couldn't resist my usual "friday night chinese date" with my hubby. I guess we kind of used this for a reward for doing so well this past week. Might I add that my mindset is still to do good, this hasn't made me want to "give in." Anyone else out there feel what I am saying? ha :)
    Sure, I love my cheat day, or as I prefer to say: "RE-FEED THERAPY"
    I have a weekly day where I eat about twice my daily goal, and a monthly food orgy where I eat like a man going to the electric chair for 24 hours.

LOVE IT!
    It's nice knowing I am never more than 7 days from eating anything I desire in whatever quantity I want.
    I'd go nuts otherwise.
  • sbw2012
    Options
    YAY I'm so excited to hear that everyone pretty much does this! Its good to know, I'm sure my partner in crime will be thrilled to read all this as well!
  • maylandl
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" every other Saturday or Sunday but I do try to keep it within about 35% above my normal calories. My doctor told me it is better to let myself splurge on a schedule and have something to look forward to than to let the cravings build to the point that I lose control.
  • sbw2012
    Options
    Yeah, I think thats where people go wrong, they sit and think about the food they want until they explode. Thats a good way to think about things, having a cheat day to look forward to!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Cheat was a must for me the first time I lost weight. I found playing with metabolism helped the weight loss.

dude! WTH? in another thread you are saying you are gaining weight and cant lose no matter what you do and all that and here you are touting cheat days?
  • sbw2012
    Options
    I was still under my calories though, just went over in fat. :x
    I saved all my calories for the buffet tonight ha.
  • sbw2012
    Options

dude! WTH? in another thread you are saying you are gaining weight and cant lose no matter what you do and all that and here you are touting cheat days?

No need for calling people out, thats not very encouraging!
  • josh6603
    Options
    Chipotle is my cheat meal. I have many different variations in my food database on MFP so i still know what im eating. I could never give that place up. It's just so good!
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal or two a week but I try not to go too overboard! Personally, I feel for me that it's beneficial as it keeps my metabolism guessing and keeps me sane! :bigsmile:
  • runninggirl54
    Options
    my cheat day is when i allow myself have a few drinks when i am out w/ friends. usually a weekend day. :)