does anyone have a cheat day?

Options

Replies

• krika1
    krika1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't do it. I am not in that mindset that says it's only one meal it won't matter. What if that one meal turns into 5. I am overweight for a reason now I need to change my thinking and embrace the positive change I need to make. good luck with your cheat days but know that one cheat day can easily turn into two or three. Be careful.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Cheat day no, cheat meal, yes!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    They keep me sane.
    I love food too much to eat right all the time.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    yes every friday i do a cheat day but I try to stay within my cals
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Usually only on days that end with the letter "Y"...LOL! About once every week or two.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals or cheat days. I eat what I want, when I want it. For me, being able to have whatever I want, when I want to eat fits better with my lifestyle. Having to wait for a specific day to have something I really love tends to make me a bit resentful and I tend to binge eat. I make sure that I can account for whatever it is I want in my calories for the day, I eat the serving size of the item, I log it and I move on.

I just find this way (in moderation) to be less like a "diet" and more like a lifestyle change. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Cheat was a must for me the first time I lost weight. I found playing with metabolism helped the weight loss.

dude! WTH? in another thread you are saying you are gaining weight and cant lose no matter what you do and all that and here you are touting cheat days?
    OUCH!
    No need to snivel about people's struggles, especially considering the smokes displayed in your profile pic.
    If you smoke, eat anything you want, because so far as health goes, it just doesn't matter what you do after that..

you missed the point
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I tend not to have cheat days. I'll have cheat meals though. I did have one full day of not caring and that was glorious. Got right back on the next day though.

Once a week seems too much for me.
  • TheresaRichardson
    Options
    I have done my best having a cheat day once a week. Got away from it and getting back to it now. Good luck!
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    My husband and I do it once a week. It helps us stay on track. We don't call it "cheat" tho, we call it "free day." Cheating is what I do when I go in the pantry and get a piece of candy.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this fits into mfp rules lol but I guess I don't keep anything off limits...I just try to keep everything in moderation. I find, personally, that I hate being told no...so if I "ban" myself from anything, that is all I am gonna want and them I am gonna go CRAZY when I do eat it. So no cheating just balancing...might not be the right way but its working for me :)
  • knelson422
    Options
    I tend to self sabotage, so my plan is one day a month I can eat whatever I want. I really have a chocolate problem, and caramel, etc. But, if I tell myself, I can have that later - instead of BAD FOOD- it has helped. Good luck. I think you just do what works for you. We are doing chinese tomorrow.
  • kirstieamb
    kirstieamb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really try not to but yesterday was my birthday and my husband and I went out for dinner and I cheated A LOT. I don't see a problem with it if you workout enough to make up for it. Once a week is probably too much. Once every couple of weeks is okay.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i think they're necessary to keep your sanity! i don't, however, think you should look at it as being a "reward" for being good, i believe that is the thinking that got us to where we are. Maybe look at it as a treat and a way for you and your hubby to reconnect in a way you both enjoy! A reward for doing well would be to treat yourself to a mani, pedi or massage, or to buy a new pair of jeans or something that encourages your progress. I don't usually plan my cheat days, i just wait for a day where i know my body needs a little extra to keep my metabolism up, and when i have that day, the next day is really easy for me to pick up where i left off 2 days before! (i pay very close attention to my body though, and you can get there too if you're not already) And remember, "Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog." :P
  • specialk1875
    Options
    I have a cheat day every saturday...i have my weekly weigh in that morning first though. I wouldnt make it long term if I didnt.
  • thecloud6
    Options
    I am having my first one tomorrow. There is a chocolate fest fundraiser...I have always wanted to go. I sure don't want to count calories (not that I plan on going totally crazy; I will be bringing home a lot for family). I have decided one day a week is okay. I am more worried about my body thinking I am in starvation mode. Going from about 2000 calories a day to 1260 was a big shock to me this week!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    P.S. I also think you should still log your calories for the day, just so you can be very honest with yourself and make changes if it really starts to affect your progress! You can't change it if you don't know :)
  • daisydarling
    daisydarling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was under my calories for today and I exercised this evening, so does that mean if I burned 200 calories I should eat some calories.
    Thanks Daisydarling
  • christinalpg
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week for lunch. I have it at lunch so that I'm not sleeping with it all night!
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhh, thank you for this post......this really makes me feel better. i have a cheat meal on saturdays.....i sooooooooooo look forward to it.....yayyyyyyyyyy