Is there a snack that I can feel good about?

Options

Replies

• malibulu
    Options
    I like rice cakes - very versatile with salad and soft cheese, marmite, or ham. Or you can eat them on their own.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found an air popper (for popcorn) in my parents basement and asked if I could have it and made a snack that is very filling and very low in cals and higher in fiber.

I use Trader Joe's organic popping corn and once it's popped, put it into 1 cup containers. When I'm hungry, I pull one out and drizzle one Tsp of raw agave nectar (you could use honey) and top with pink himalayan sea salt (or just reg kosher salt).

Tastes like kettle corn. Less processed and expensive than a bag of kettle corn - which appeals to me.

It's like 100 calories and sooooo yummy!!
  • karalynnroll
    karalynnroll Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like edemame.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My favorite (and almost daily snack) is 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder & 1 container of plain greek yogurt. I mix it up with my hand mixer and eat it....super yummy and full of protein.
  • karalynnroll
    karalynnroll Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame- super tasty, crunchy and lots of healthy protein as well as fiber!
    Do you do that yourself? Or can you buy them somewhere? I didn't even know what that was until this post

I do this myself. The only edamame we have around here are still in the pods. So, I boil them, remove the pods, and roast them in the oven with whatever seasoning sounds good at the time (salt & pepper, lemon pepper, garlic, etc.)
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    diet jello with Whipped cream when you know you're going to binge...

anything else when you know you've got enough control to have a small portion and enjoy the flavor

Enjoy :)

Hmm commercially prepared animal collagen topped with any kind of sweetened cream (and bought whip often containing additives) does not seem like a healthy snack to me!
    tr

no but it's yummy and the gelatin is good for your sagging skin :) and who said cool whip???? I said whipped cream.... lovely real whipped cream... on top of yummy commercially prepared animal collagen......... I have a 150 reasons I can give you for why I've eaten it regularly for the last two years but what works for me doesn't always work for anyone else.....:flowerforyou:
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Definitely plain non-fat greek yogurt with about 5-10 natural almonds. It's super high in protein and very filling, for not too many calories. Mix some honey, if you want to go natural or some splenda to make it sweeter.

Try hard boiled eggs as well. High protein.

I think it's important to have snacks be high in protein.

I have a very weird snack I like to have... chick peas with fat free feta cheese mixed with some balsamic vinegar for flavoring, lol. It's very high protein. I love chick peas so...this works for me but it's not something I would recommend to people as it's pretty odd.
    I often wonder how much is to much, why do you think it's important to have high protein? The "it makes me feel full" aspect, the "it helps me repair if I'm exercising" aspect or other?

And actually, that sounds really good...I love balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I put it on salad as is (but if people are around I add olive oil and dressing-like-things so I don't look odd lol

I am only 5'1'' tall and weigh 139lbs. I eat my body weight in protein grams and I've been on a high protein diet eating close to 300 grams of protein per day. It helps so much when you're weight training in order to repair and build your muscles. It's also SUPER important to drink at least half a gallon (8 cups) of water a day when you're doing this. This also helps flush out the acids that build in your muscles that make you sore.

Also, when you're losing weight, you want to lose fat, not muscle and protein helps with this :)

And as was mentioned, higher protein absolutely does help with having less sugary cravings.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame- super tasty, crunchy and lots of healthy protein as well as fiber!
    Do you do that yourself? Or can you buy them somewhere? I didn't even know what that was until this post

The brand I buy is Seapoint Farms- the serving size is 1/4 cup and it is really filling and lower fat than nuts. :smile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I do this myself. The only edamame we have around here are still in the pods. So, I boil them, remove the pods, and roast them in the oven with whatever seasoning sounds good at the time (salt & pepper, lemon pepper, garlic, etc.)

Cool I didn't even know what they were when it was posted here (had to wiki). How long do you find they last? I'll have to try this one!
    no but it's yummy and the gelatin is good for your sagging skin :) and who said cool whip???? I said whipped cream.... lovely real whipped cream... on top of yummy commercially prepared animal collagen......... I have a 150 reasons I can give you for why I've eaten it regularly for the last two years but what works for me doesn't always work for anyone else.....:flowerforyou:

Apparently I'm dyslexic! Do you have the home made whipping can things? If so what's the trick? I didn't use it but someone had that around this Christmas and nobody could seem to use it. By the end of Christmas there was whipped cream on the cubards and ceiling haha. And apparently many people on this form are walking forms of collagen and bell cheese according to this thread :P

Jello and baby bell is not a nutrient :P (I kid)
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with grapes mixed in, with black pepper.

popcorn with tabasco sauce

one of my favs is the Wasa light rye cracker, spread with a bit of light cream cheese and two thin slices of cucumber and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. To me it feels refreshing. Instead of your regular crackers, cheese and pickles. And it fills me up.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Falafel chips and spicy red pepper hummus

http://www.falafelchips.com/products.php
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    raw almonds, air popped popcorn, loose granola, veggies, rice cakes, kale chips
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    jerky (you can make your own), turkey pepporoni, low fat string cheese, sugar free jello pudding, greek yogurt, cocoa roast almonds (emerlads nuts) a fave of mine!, dova sugar free chocolate, craisons, raisons, dried fruits period, banana chips, granola bars, granola, trail mix, assorted nuts, planters energy mix nuts, choc covered soy nuts, sunflower seeds, dry cerel (oat cerel, i like kashi heart to heart) i could go on...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    raw almonds, air popped popcorn, loose granola, veggies, rice cakes, kale chips
    Where can you get kale chips? I haven't heard of them.
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Orville Reddenbacker Popcorn in the 100 Calorie Mini bags

Bowl of whole grain cereal such as Cheerios Honey Nut w/ non-fat milk or without.

Both are easy, low calorie and whole grain
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Apple and PB
    Greek yogurt with berries and a touch of honey
    string cheese
    nuts
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free jello but I use diet soda instead of old water! AND new all time favorite is chocolate Cherrios!
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit salad goes down a treat, use what ever fruit is in season with 3-4 varieties in there. banana, orange, melon, strawberries. whatever floats your boat. i love this as it satifies cravings for sweet food while staying healthy
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    I really like celery with laughing cow cheese...or celery with peanut butter and raisins, it's the perfect amount of sweet, peanut and sweet. I prefer it to granola bars.

I'll usually have it with a v8 low sodium shot, I find the juice really fills me up.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    You can make your own kale chips...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kale-chips/detail.aspx