.... a burned out Weight Watchers member!!

Options

Replies

• reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Also WW Alum. Have been online member since 2003 and I have hated every change they made since the original plan. Just gets more and more complicated. I had kept my membership since the 2003 price was so much cheaper than now but I will likely cancel now that I am here and finding multiple other resources through MFP. Welcome and good luck.
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am an ex WW member too. I have strong opinions about weight watchers...but you pretty much summed it up! I think WW is good for people who don't have good eating habits because it encourages them to eat more fruits and veggies. But other than that....why do they deserve money for taking calorie counting and making it unnecessarily abstract and complicated?? No thanks! I love MFP! I'm addicted!
  • starskita
    starskita Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hmmm i just tried out that fat to fit radio tools.... its says i should lose 55lbs!!!! i have a goal of 40lb as 55lb would put me down way too low!!! to the point i would look sick
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've done WW a few different times. I didn't really like it, honestly. I know it works for some people, but for me it was a PIA. I have lost 12 lbs since the holidays on MFP.
    Welcome to the site - there are tons of inspiring stories, lots of information and it's FREE.
    I've learned a lot about different supplements (flaxseed, for one) in the past month. I have SO much more energy - and I have 3 kids (7, 2, 5 mo) to keep up with!
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I actually do both....I have found that WW meetings really help me stay on track, and I like the camaraderie and support. I do find that when I stick to my points, I lose quite quickly. So, as a program, it works well for me. However, I don't think that it's necessarily good for long-term, just because the whole points calculation, etc. is kind of a pain. I can't see people doing that forever.

So I track my points on the WW site, and I also track my food on here. They usually wind up being pretty similar in terms of daily calorie allotment, etc., but I do think that MFP is better as a long-term lifestyle change because you don't have all the calculations like in WW.

I have to say, the boards here are a MILLION times better than on the WW site....they are so catty, obnoxious, rude and condescending over there. MFP ROCKS!
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    WW is alright but it wasn't right for me. I struggled all the time because I felt like a failure and kept cheating and bingeing and to give them my money once a week to find out I gained or only lost like.2 lbs made me give up.

I then started following the canadian food guide and lost twice as much as I had on WW.

then I was stuck for a few months and last week was told about this site and here I am, and I am no longer at a stand still. Can't wait for my first weigh in on Monday.
  • dyanaah
    dyanaah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just seemed to get lost with all the points and feel that it's a marketing ploy to get you to NEED their services, ONLINE or CALCULATOR ..... and I am just so busy throughout my weekdays that if I know my foods and need to grab a bite that it's nice to just look at the label and I'm good to go. I love this FREE website and it's format is very similair to Weight Watchers too. <3 Excited to feel a link to others too!!! Thanks for your input!
  • Barbie1125
    Options
    How do you set the protein and carb %'s ?
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    yes, there is a thyroid group you can join. Look under the "search" and you can add it to your message boards . I can't stand the WW meetings. Did it once many years ago, but don't like the new points and the meetings.
    Good luck
  • MiracleMiles
    MiracleMiles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with your opinion on weight watchers 100%. They are a business out to make money off of people and that is exactly what they design their program to do. I've been with them for a month and it didn't take me long to figure out their system is a flawed science-- not to say that people can't lose weight on the program, because I am down almost 10 pds. However, I have been doing calorie and sugar tracking in addition to the point system because of my diabetes. I am royally disappointed with how very little they factor sugar into their weight plan-- if you are diabetic, you certainly cannot eat as many power foods as you want. Fresh fruit and natural sugars can lead to high sugar, just as easily as soda or candy. I realized that paying $45 a month to have someone weigh me and utilize a poor online tracking system just isn't worth it when I can do a better job of it on MFP. Not to mention, the support network on here is far more engaging than you would receive at WW meetings.
  • dyanaah
    Options
    Wow....this is AWESOME! So many Exs' of Weight Watchers .... I just feel more positive about this forum!!! I'm being told to google a Fit to Fat website to calculate??? Does this play into the MFP format .... or do I just apply it directly??? Not sure I understand. Diana
  • paledi
    paledi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow, just asked a weight watchers question myself because I too think it's a waste of money. I didnt get one response...it makes you not even want to try.
  • dyanaah
    Options
    You're right .... I'm already connecting and feeling great about this just after two days on MFP. . . I too have an issue that I have to deal with - a Milk allergy and so many prepared foods are laced with dairy. Thanks for your encouraging advice!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I gave up on Weight Watchers. MFP seems so much easier to me!

I agree!!!
  • ladybug1951
    ladybug1951 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too have done weight watchers...made it to life time member but I did not stick to what I learned. I paid for online for almost 2 years without using the site...not sure why. Did not like paying but kept thinking I would get motivated and need it again. My daughter sent me this site after the first of the year and I have been using it except for 10 days out of country recently. I had an eye opener the first day I logged in and decided that I needed to keep a closer track on what I eat. I like the site and like that I could download t my blackberry. Was out for breakfast and lunch today and it helped me to know what I did. I appreciate the site, I appreciate the savings, and I know weight watchers and Diet Center all worked. Bottom line is when I am motivated I can and do lose weight but know that I need to keep track so I do not slip up and gain back. Like reading the comments.
  • mellymclaughlin
    Options
    I hate Weight Watchers! Too confusing. Slimming World is even worse. No idea why everybody doesn't agree that MFP/calorie counting in general is the best way to lose weight. Normally I am open minded but it's plain to see that you can't beat this system!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Be sure to start right!

Google Fat to Fit Radio Tools.
    Do the body fat calculator then BMR tool.
    Eat EXACTLY the amount of calories given per your activity factor and you will lose fat.
    Eat too low and you will lose muscle!
    Custom set MFP to 30% protein 40% carbs.
    Enjoy losing inches babe!

OK, I just did that body fat calculator thing, even though I know that you're supposed to do it in the morning. It says I am 23.9% body. NO WAY. That is so wrong. Basically, if I get any lower, then I am in the unhealthy range for my age??

For women 15-25% is perfect.
    anything lower and you start messing with hormones and stuff.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Be sure to start right!

Eat EXACTLY the amount of calories given per your activity factor and you will lose fat.

Settings>goal>change goal>custom>continue.

How do you custom set it to 30 and 40???
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Be sure to start right!

Funny...I just read another thread regarding this! I'm gonna try it!!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Be sure to start right!

OK, I just did that body fat calculator thing, even though I know that you're supposed to do it in the morning. It says I am 23.9% body. NO WAY. That is so wrong. Basically, if I get any lower, then I am in the unhealthy range for my age??

For women 15-25% is perfect.
    anything lower and you start messing with hormones and stuff.

I agree, but I just think that it is way off. There is no way that MY body is only 23% fat, and that I only need to lose 9 more pounds to get to my 'goal weight'. Something's not right! lol Thanks, though - it certainly is interesting!!