C25K - Support

Options
2»

Replies

• lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I may be starting this week depending on weather. Thank you, porffor!
  • michmill98
    Options
    C25K = Couch to 5K. It's a workout program/app that has you going from a couch potato to being able to run a 5K in about 9 weeks (depending on which version you have). It alternates between walks and runs with the length of the runs getting longer each week. Each day is usually between 30 and 40 minutes and you alternate days. The app that I have lets you listen to your own music/podcasts while you work out with a built-in reminder on when to walk/run.

Since I do mine on the treadmill at home before work, I usually watch the morning news instead of listening to music. But then again most of my playlist music isn't really "running" music since I listen to a lot of "Rat Pack" style and classical! However I find on the longer runs that I'm able to convince myself to keep going by thinking "just X more stories/commercials" since most of the stories are 30-60 seconds in length.

Some people prefer to run outside, some on a treadmill. I find that I keep my pace better right now with the treadmill.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    just out of curiosity, whats the c25k? ive noticed a few people mention it today, is it a workout program? or a 25k run? good luck whatever it is pal

C25k is a programme designed to introduce people to running ( couch to 5 kilometers) its a fantastic programme ive not run in about 35 years and even then nothing like a 5 2 weeks ago i run / jogged a 5k on a treadmill ive since done it 4 times and it is addictive LOL for more info google c25k for the web site and there's also some groups on here
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    just out of curiosity, whats the c25k? ive noticed a few people mension it today, is it a workout program? or a 25k run? good luck whatever it is pal

There are loads of sites with a programme of it but it's 'Couch to 5K' I knew it from 'cool runnings' a running site. It is basically a programme of walk and run intervals to get your fitness up from sitting on the sofa to running your first 5k race - or the distance in 9 weeks. There are programmes for 10K and even half marathons too.

Have a google and see what sites take your fancy. :) There are - I learnt today - podcasts where there is music overlayed by the timings for each run or week.
  • porffor
    Options
    I may be starting this week depending on weather. Thank you, porffor!

You're welcome! Good to have company!! :wink:
  • porffor
    Options
    How's everyone doing?

I'm due to do run 2 today.. gotta wait for DD to get out of school - sun is shining so better than snow yesterday. It is cold but hey-ho.
    I have AF visiting today though and that means serious tummy ache but am hoping I can dig in deep and run through it. :)
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I'm on W6, D2. However, I started Insanity this week and I ran before doing the fit test the other day and thought I was gonna die.
    I may have to take a running hiatus, but I've heard that Insanity really boosts your cardio endurance, so I'm not too worried.

I'm in pretty good shape, but I've never been a runner...C25K is the ONLY thing that has made me run and not want to pass out. It's really great and it really works!
  • zesss
    zesss Posts: 36
    Options
    I completed Day 1, Week 3 today. I was totally freaked out at having to run for three whole minutes - but I did it! It really is getting easier, I nearly died after the first one. My face went completely red and flushed and didn't go back to normal for a couple of hours. I seriously hated running... And kinda still do, but I'm determined to do it!
  • porffor
    Options
    I completed Day 1, Week 3 today. I was totally freaked out at having to run for three whole minutes - but I did it! It really is getting easier, I nearly died after the first one. My face went completely red and flushed and didn't go back to normal for a couple of hours. I seriously hated running... And kinda still do, but I'm determined to do it!

Congratulations!! Wonderful feeling when you step up and manage it! First time around I remember feeling daunted / like I wouldn't be able to do it but always managed. Well done for stepping up to the challenge and doing well!

I had that red face feeling on day one and am hoping today will be easier.. not long now! lol eeek

PinkandSparkl - Well done getting to week 6 and adding more running too!! Sounds challenging and likely hit you due to speed increasse? I think C25k works so well because it makes you aware its ok to run slow! lol
  • porffor
    Options
    Yay!! did it!
    Beat the AF blues and got out and ran - sun shining, beach view but boy was it cold! lol
    Good news though the run seemed a lot easier than day 1 was. Also added a sprint to the last run for fun. The NHS Choice Podcasts work a treat for timings and not having to look at my watch.
    Running it alone on Friday - DD is running in school - she did really well today and was 'up for it' when she got home from school so really nice for us to share this.
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I could use any support and give some too. I have ran a 5k and 10k last year and I am doing my first 25k this May. I have never ran before until last year and I am 39yrs old. I would love to have some friends and support.
  • porffor
    Options
    I turned 40 today so empathise on the age! lol

Bumping this for other new starters :)

Wk 1 Day 3 for me Friday - tomorrow i'm in Uni then belly dancing :smile: