Don't buy BUITONI pasta products

Options
13»

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I definitely weigh my food after its cooked! I want it to be exact!

Read your labels more carefully. Sometimes nutritional info is given in uncooked weight (rice and pasta especially).

Yes, its very true with pasta i learned the hard way to cook only a single serving separately for myself. Luckily I dont eat much pasta.
    I definitely read labels and I love my digital scale because it allows me to measure using the same form of measurements used on the label.

I love mine too! I just got my digital scale for Christmas this year. It's great!
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    I've bought Buitoni's products a couple of times but each time I weigh the products, they are way under what the label says. For example. A serving is 106 g and the label says it contains "About 2 1/2 servings" but when I weigh it out it comes out to about 200 to 240 g. That's almost a serving under. This happened each time I purchased their products but tonight it came out WAY UNDER. It was 203 g.

How many boxes have you tested? Kind of kneejerk to boycott those products when that stuff is sold by weight, and due to its not normal shapes, cup measurements can be off quite a bit.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    I was somewhat on your side until you posted that something the company could do to make it right is to send you a case of pasta.

Unfortunately your not alone in that line of thinking, society has changed so much lately. We all want to be compensated immediately for a perceived wrong-doing and of course the compensation has to be well above what the original product was and the actual harm done.

Sorry to rant but had to get that out.
    You are dead on my friend. A misperceived wrongdoing can only be compensated by dramatic overcompensation. If you were shorted 50lbs of beef, fine. Thats alot of money--a few grams of noodles that I am sure there is weight vs mass miscalculations.

I hope if they answer, the compensate with the missing amount of noodles.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I've bought Buitoni's products a couple of times but each time I weigh the products, they are way under what the label says. For example. A serving is 106 g and the label says it contains "About 2 1/2 servings" but when I weigh it out it comes out to about 200 to 240 g. That's almost a serving under. This happened each time I purchased their products but tonight it came out WAY UNDER. It was 203 g.

How many boxes have you tested? Kind of kneejerk to boycott those products when that stuff is sold by weight, and due to its not normal shapes, cup measurements can be off quite a bit.

Just to point out, it looks like OP was not measure by volume but rather by weight (since they stated a 106g serving and that the package weighed 203g). Measurements by volume can vary like you said due to shape/settling of product, but measurements by weight are very accurate.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Next time you go to the store, ask a sales clerk to weigh it on the checkout scale to see the weight. Obviously this will also include the packaging but will give you an idea. I'm guessing your scale is off - simply because the company would face such serious fines and penalties if they actually were shorting their products. If you really are concerned about this, contact your attorney general's office.

Pasta is always weighed dry - that is what the nutritional facts are based on (dry weight).

Keep in mind that weight and mass are not the same thing. The mass of a defined amount of matter is the same regardless of where is it measured. This is not true for weight which varies depending on where the measurement is taken.

Buitoni pasta is not sold dry on the shelf, it is fresh refridgerated pasta. They can't put the info on the package as referring to the dry product b/c the consumer never sees it in a dry form.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Next time you go to the store, ask a sales clerk to weigh it on the checkout scale to see the weight. Obviously this will also include the packaging but will give you an idea. I'm guessing your scale is off - simply because the company would face such serious fines and penalties if they actually were shorting their products. If you really are concerned about this, contact your attorney general's office.

Pasta is always weighed dry - that is what the nutritional facts are based on (dry weight).

Keep in mind that weight and mass are not the same thing. The mass of a defined amount of matter is the same regardless of where is it measured. This is not true for weight which varies depending on where the measurement is taken.

Buitoni pasta is not sold dry on the shelf, it is fresh refridgerated pasta. They can't put the info on the package as referring to the dry product b/c the consumer never sees it in a dry form.

Ok...the package label was in grams so that is what I measured in. Yes, I know the product is not "dry" but nonetheless I measured it straight out of the package and this was not one measurement but more than a handful and the packages consistently come up short. If it consistently comes up around 200 g then the label should read "About 2 servings"...200g isn't even 2 servings, it's 1.88.

UPDATE: I just got a response (4 hours later) and it's just an automated message thanking me for contacting them. Nothing else about whether I would get an additional response. We shall see.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

Ok...the package label was in grams so that is what I measured in. Yes, I know the product is not "dry" but nonetheless I measured it straight out of the package and this was not one measurement but more than a handful and the packages consistently come up short. If it consistently comes up around 200 g then the label should read "About 2 servings"...200g isn't even 2 servings, it's 1.88.

UPDATE: I just got a response (4 hours later) and it's just an automated message thanking me for contacting them. Nothing else about whether I would get an additional response. We shall see.

Try cooking it and then measuring. I'm guaranteeing you you'll get closer to the 2.5 servings this way. Trust me. I know that of which I speak. :) The 1 c or 1 1/4 c serving (depending on which variety you got) is the amount you actually measure after cooking, so I'm 99.9% sure that the g will more closely match! Just try. Lemme know how it works out. :-D Don't be afraid (like most men) to admit that a woman may be right.... :p
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Honestly what do you expect them to do for you? If you don't like their product then just don't buy it.
  • live4turns
    Options

Honestly what do you expect them to do for you? If you don't like their product then just don't buy it.

I don't expect anything. I just want to let them know. Is that a problem? I do like their product because it tastes good. I'm not a passive consumer. If there is an issue I want them to know about it.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I don't expect anything. I just want to let them know. Is that a problem? I do like their product because it tastes good. I'm not a passive consumer. If there is an issue I want them to know about it.

Not a problem to let them know but above you were hinting that case of products might be good compensation. Maybe I misunderstood.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you were my grandma, you would write the company and complain that they are misrepresenting their product and they would in turn send you coupons for free stuff. She once counted all of the nuts in a mixed nuts container that said "Less than 25% peanuts". It was over 25% peanuts, so she called them out on it!

That is brilliant! I now want to make a career of this!

Some people already do. It's called extreme couponing!
  • live4turns
    Options

Not a problem to let them know but above you were hinting that case of products might be good compensation. Maybe I misunderstood.

it's called a joke. but yes, it would be nice.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    AHEM also....GO BIG BLUE!!

love the profile pic! G-MEN!!!!!!

^This! One week from today!

YES! A Giant fan from Texas!!! I run into so many freaking Cowboys fans in NYC...

Go Pats!!!!! (sorry!)
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    http://www.buitoni.com/Contact-Us.aspx

there is their contact us on the web...next time look at the bottom of the page if you cant find it else where:)
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you were my grandma, you would write the company and complain that they are misrepresenting their product and they would in turn send you coupons for free stuff. She once counted all of the nuts in a mixed nuts container that said "Less than 25% peanuts". It was over 25% peanuts, so she called them out on it!

LMAO! My grandmother was the SAME way! That is so freaking funny! She'd do this and either get free samples/food (whatever it was) or massive coupons.

LOL. Ohhh that cracked me up! I miss my Gramma! :)
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I had that happen with a bag of sweet potato fries. The portion was 30 fries, I believe the weight was 80 something grams. I always weight my food, thank goodness, because it was actually 15 fries! Funniest thing though, the next bag that I bought had correct labeling. I guess someone complained :)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The ideal response from the company is to fix the labeling. If it's really two servings, say that. If it should be measured after cooking, doesn't hurt to say that. It's also helpful to moms or folks cooking for multiple people to know how many servings they are making. If a serving is missing, that can be a major problem at the table.
  • welshgurl
    welshgurl Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Too funny. It reminded me of my grandfather who thought that we were going through the bottle of vitamins too quickly (I had acquired a taste for them). He bought a bottle of 100 vitamins, counted them before we could get to them and thank goodness there were only 92 vitamins in the bottle. (I was never found out!) He complained, but did not want any compensation--just wanted to make sure that the label was accurate. He passed away in 1972, but I will never forget him!
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    AHEM also....GO BIG BLUE!!

love the profile pic! G-MEN!!!!!!

^This! One week from today!

YES! A Giant fan from Texas!!! I run into so many freaking Cowboys fans in NYC...

Go Pats!!!!! (sorry!)

It's very difficult being a Giants fan in TX...especially when you go see your beloved Giants play the Cowboys in THEIR stadium...but we won, so it was all good! :happy:

And...I'm sorry your a Pats fan too! :laugh:
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    As far as coupons, compliments work, too, sometime.

The building next to my job sold their "air rights" and so there's a billboard on top of their building they have no control over. When I started working there, it was one month cigarette ads, next month liquor ads, back and forth. It didn't do much for the neighborhood.

Then one month there was an ad for canned tomatoes. So I wrote the canned tomato company and thanked them for advertising, since I thought it was a much better thing to see than liquor and cigarettes. I was surprised to get a bunch of coupons in response AND by the fact that the billboard company hasn't run liquor or cigarette ads ever since.