Help! My one of my kids doesn't want me to lose weight!

Options
Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday morning so far. Just curious, have any of your children been upset that you are losing weight? My oldest son cried last night telling me he likes me the way he is and doesn't want me to lose weight. So, I tried to tell him I would just get healthy and after a couple minutes, he realized that to do that, I would lose weight, too. He cried for over a half an hour even after I showed him pictures of me thin. How do I deal with this and make him feel better about it? He thinks my personality is going to change, too, which I probably agree as I will be more content with myself and happier with my life...so at least my attitude will change. He didn't want to hear any of the positives. He kept saying he likes me the way I am! Help!!!

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Children dont like change, and change in a parent is probably the most scary proposition of all. Your son doesnt want to hear all your good reasons, he just wants stability.

Dont make your weight loss a big deal. There is no reason for the kiddoes even to know. Dont look to your children for support in your journey. Dont expect them to be your cheer squad. Get your support from adults who have a mature world view.

In the meantime, reassure your son that your love for him will never change, and then lay off the diet talk around him. What is exciting and challenging for you is clearly freaking him out, so keep it among the adults.

I wish you all the best. Never quit.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    aww how old is he? message me on yahoo if you want [personal contact info edited by MFP Moderator] i will check after church
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Instead of saying you are losing weight ("losing" is bad to kids) just say you are getting healthy. Have him exercise some with you so he can see how much fun exercising is. Remember a game of tag or dancing is exercise too! Good luck on your journey!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also, find ways you can use this process to become closer - take walks, play tag, or go sledding together. Have him help you pick out healthy foods at the store and cook nutritious meals. This is a chance to share habits that will make you both healthy for life.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Dont make your weight loss a big deal. There is no reason for the kiddoes even to know. Dont look to your children for support in your journey. Dont expect them to be your cheer squad. Get your support from adults who have a mature world view.

unless you go away for several months to do this your children wont even notice the day to day changes........
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Sorry, but I disagree completely with the ladies suggesting that the way forward is to include the child in the weight loss exercise program. If he is distressed enough to cry himself to sleep then I would take a step back. Radical dietary changes are hard to hide, of course, but I would emphasise health and forget about the weight loss aspect.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    thank you. You prompted a conversation with my seven-year-old. He's been acting out the last two week...that I've been going to the gym. Hopeful we worked it out. Good luck with your son. I think I will take my son to the gym with me one of these days, or upgrade to a wii fit so we can exercise together.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Sorry, I didnt mean to stifle comment with my strong opinion.
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight. My son is 8 years old. I have been very open with all 4 of my children (all under 10) that Mom is eating healthy and exercising. That I am doing it so that I can play with them - so I can coach their teams, run around with them, play at the playground, etc. I do not seek support from my children, but I do believe it is important that they understand that I am trying to take better care of myself and them as well. We are eating differently because of this...I am cooking differently. I want them to learn from this. I want them to know why I am doing this. I want them to learn to make better choices at school and at home. So, I think it is important to share it with them. Am I constantly bringing it up? No. Am I honest when they ask? Yes, of course. Will I hide it? No. I have also explained to them that God tells us that our bodies are His temples and we are supposed to take care of them. So, I haven't done a great job with that but now I am trying to do that better. They know we have struggles in faith as we talk about it all the time. So, this is a great way to tie the two together to show them how important it is to take good care of ourselves.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    So, you are doing every thing right and he just has to learn to deal with it.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Would you like to trade kids? Mine is 13 and he told me I was large and too short to be so big. We had to have a talk about thinking before we speak and thinking of the other persons feelings. I wasted my breath because he sat and listened and then said now its my turn. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings I just wanted you to know that you are to fat and I worry you will get sick and die. But take it how you want. I still love you but I think you should workout and lose weight......Perhaps he is going to be a lawyer or congressman with that mouth!!! However now he is my biggest cheerleader since I have been working out. Go figure out kids...and when you do get back to me!!!:grumble: :grumble: :wink: :wink:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight. My son is 8 years old. I have been very open with all 4 of my children (all under 10) that Mom is eating healthy and exercising. That I am doing it so that I can play with them - so I can coach their teams, run around with them, play at the playground, etc. I do not seek support from my children, but I do believe it is important that they understand that I am trying to take better care of myself and them as well. We are eating differently because of this...I am cooking differently. I want them to learn from this. I want them to know why I am doing this. I want them to learn to make better choices at school and at home. So, I think it is important to share it with them. Am I constantly bringing it up? No. Am I honest when they ask? Yes, of course. Will I hide it? No. I have also explained to them that God tells us that our bodies are His temples and we are supposed to take care of them. So, I haven't done a great job with that but now I am trying to do that better. They know we have struggles in faith as we talk about it all the time. So, this is a great way to tie the two together to show them how important it is to take good care of ourselves.

Super, great job Mom LOL keep up the good work. My seven-year-old is doing better with it now too since we talked :flowerforyou:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids - all boys.
    My 2 youngest are 8 years old. Twins.

In my wildest imagination I can't imagine them sniveling and crying over my weight loss.
    I suspect you might not like this, but stop pandering to the absurd notions of a child.
    Just ignore him; let him cry and then forget all about it.

And lose the weight; he'll get over it.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good way to talk about it... but I would also encourage you. He's not going to really notice the day to day changes except in your diet and habits. Then one day he's going to realize that you can keep up better, or your lap is bigger, or whatever, and there might be more questions, but he'll be seeing the good things by then as well. I don't think you should worry too much about it - 7/8 year olds are constantly thinking and they are also emotional divas on occasion ... both boys and girls... lol Stay positive and just don't talk about the weight side of things with him right now.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Did someone in the family lose weight and "act" different? Since he pointed out that factor, something to ponder.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Children dont like change, and change in a parent is probably the most scary proposition of all. Your son doesnt want to hear all your good reasons, he just wants stability.

In the meantime, reassure your son that your love for him will never change, and then lay off the diet talk around him. What is exciting and challenging for you is clearly freaking him out, so keep it among the adults.

I wish you all the best. Never quit.

Great advice!
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    I have 5 kids - all boys.
    My 2 youngest are 8 years old. Twins.

In my wildest imagination I can't imagine them sniveling and crying over my weight loss.
    I suspect you might not like this, but stop pandering to the absurd notions of a child.
    Just ignore him; let him cry and then forget all about it.

And lose the weight; he'll get over it.

Dam!!! you are so lucky, i just find out today, that my twins are girls...5 girls total + my wife
  • Levi_Hansen
    Levi_Hansen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Idea: Just do whatever your kid wants and when you can use him for an excuse to quit trying, you should!

Or....another option would be to own your role as the parent and be cool. Act like it's normal to want to promote your health and potentially even enjoy a longer life with your kids.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Like someone said, he probably won't even notice. My mom lost quite a bit of weight a few years ago and I didn't see the difference because I saw her every day and I was used to it. In pictures I could see the difference, but you naturally adjust to someone you see everyday. Go for it!! He'll understand someday.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    something that no one has mentioned yet, if you lose weight, you will be around for him, have less of a chance of diseases. my mother died when i was nine of colon cancer. she was always overweight when i was little. and my dad and stepmom had lung cancer and died from that. better to let him cry for a little while than cry the rest of his life without you. harsh but he will learn that you are just trying to get healthy so you can be around for a really long time!