HEALTHY & LOW-CAL crockpot/slow-cooker recipes here:)

Options
I couldnt find the original post to give credit... It was on another slow-cooker recipe thread, but I made this one yesterday. It makes 4 servings of 1 cup (very filling) and tastes oh so good!!! Per Serving 280 cal, 51 carb, 5 fat, 6 protein, 6 fiber, and only 48 sodium. Many of the recipes posted on that thread were way too high in calories/fat/sugar for many of us. So I am starting this new thread for HEALTHY crockpot/slow cooker recipes:) Hope some of you will repost your recipes there.

ORIGINAL POST: (in parenthesis are my notes:)

My favorite breakfast. I substitute margarine for the butter, abd I add either an entire apple or a can (10.75 oz) of pumpkin puree to a double batch. This also freezes well!!

Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup peeled and chopped apple (1 medium gala is perfect)
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons butter (I used light margerine)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used splenda brown sugar blend)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I was out of extract so I used 1 Tbsp sugar free vanilla syrup that I use to make lattes)

Directions

Place the steel cut oats, water, apple, raisins, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract into a slow cooker, and stir to combine and dissolve the sugar. Cover the cooker, set to Low, and allow to cook 6 to 7 hours (for firm oats) or 8 hours (for softer texture).

Replies

• moonlightturk
    Options
    Sounds delic. Thx 4 the share!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    yummmmm! thanks!
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That sounds so good. Steel cut oats are definitely going on my shopping list!
  • gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! Great to see some different slow cooker recipes.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Many of the recipes posted on that thread were way too high in calories/fat/sugar for many of us. So I am starting this new thread for HEALTHY crockpot/slow cooker recipes:) Hope some of you will repost your recipes there.

Thank you so much, very thoughtful of you to begin a new one. I too am looking for a healthier versions of recipes for my Magical Crockpot as well!:love:

We Crockpot Lovers gotta stick together!:wink::laugh: Is this thing great or WHAT?!! Like I said, Crockpots...simply Magical!:flowerforyou: :tongue:

I'll take a look at my recipes and see what I've got to share with you all.:heart: Also thanks for reposting the recipe and your changes to it.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump, thank you!!!:bigsmile:
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this!! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)
  • inchestopinch
    inchestopinch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump! ~ Gonna keep checking back here for other recipes! This one sounds delicious & will have to try it this week ~ Thanks.
  • ezrunnerp
    ezrunnerp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done a similar recipe with the steel cut oats. I't's so nice to have a warm, healthy breakfast waiting for me. I usually make enough for a week, so all I have to do is to nuke it
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StargazerHuck
    StargazerHuck Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Going to try this tonight. Am missing a couple ingredients so I may tweak it a little. but the base is good! I am so excited!!!
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yep. I picked up some of those cheap 1 cup glad plastic bowls with lids .... they come 6 of them for around $3... and I just filled up 4 of them... 2 in the fridge and 2 in the freezer. I'm going to try it with the pumpkin next time I think. I will have to refigure the calories with the pumpkin. I'm thinking it will be just a bit higher in cals and sodium, but still not bad.
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    BUMP
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Made this yesterday it was YUMMY,

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 pound ground turkey
    2 (10.75 ounce) cans low sodium tomato soup
    2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 pinch ground black pepper
    1 pinch ground allspice
    salt to taste

Directions
    Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet, and cook until evenly brown; drain.
    Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and mix in turkey, tomato soup, kidney beans, black beans and onion. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, allspice and salt.
    Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 228 | Total Fat: 7.5g | Cholesterol: 42mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database
    Nutritional Information
    Laura's Quick Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
    Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 228

Total Fat: 7.5g
    Cholesterol: 42mg
    Sodium: 343mg
    Total Carbs: 24g
    Dietary Fiber: 7.7g
    Protein: 18.1g
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We've got two recipes on here so far... I'm sure we can find some more!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    *Slow Cooker Fresh Veggie Lasagna*

Layered noodles with spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese.

Makes 6 servings

Rating: *****'s
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 5 hours
    Difficulty: EASY

*Ingredients*

1 cooking spray
    1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup Cheese, ricotta, whole milk
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 eggs , lightly beaten
    1tsp ground oregano
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1cup low sodium marinara sauce , fat-free (plus additional for serving)
    1 medium zucchini , diced
    4 piece no boil lasagna noodles
    10 oz fresh baby spinach
    1 cup fresh mushroom slices
    1 oz fresh basil leaves (optional)

*Directions*

1 Spray slow cooker pot with cooking spray; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, oregano and garlic powder.

2 Spread 2 tablespoons of pasta sauce in bottom of pot. Sprinkle 1/2 of zucchini over sauce and top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Break 2 noodles into pieces to cover cheese. Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce and then layer 1/2 of the spinach and 1/2 of the mushrooms.

3 Repeat layering, ending with cheese and the remaining sauce. Firmly press ingredients into pot.

4 Cover and cook over low heat for 4-5 hours. Allow lasagna to rest 20 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve. Spoon a little extra sauce over each serving and top with a basil leaf, if desired.

*Nutrition Facts*

Makes 6 servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 243.9

Total Carbs 20.5 g

Dietary Fiber 3.6 g

Sugars 3.6 g

Total Fat 11.9 g

Saturated Fat 6.4 g

Unsaturated Fat 5.4 g

Potassium 138.9 mg

Protein 18.2 g

Sodium 485.7 mg

Note: One or more ingredients from this recipe are not included in the nutritional analysis above. Either the ingredient is missing from our database or is listed as "optional" in the recipe.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/Slow-Cooker-Fresh-Veggie-Lasagna/r5359.html

Note from me:wink: I often change up the ingredients to lighten the sodium & fat totals, feel free to make any changes that might work better for you. This is the original recipe that I'm posting (I alter it slightly myself), you'll find the link up above for the site.

I use Trader Joe's No-Sodium Marinara sauce which really cuts the sodium down for recipes I cook.

Enjoy!:tongue:
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump