HEALTHY & LOW-CAL crockpot/slow-cooker recipes here:)

Options

Replies

• mander1621
    Options
    I could definitely use some healthy crock pot recipes!
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    Oh my lord I need to bookmark this thread. I wanted to pick up a small crock pot for myself and start... attempting to learn how to cook!
  • rwalterrn
    Options
    bump for later:smile:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    **Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken**

Slow cooked shredded chicken with corn, tomatoes and black beans. Prepare the night before and turn your crock pot on in the morning for an easy weeknight meal. Low fat and low in points. Serve over rice with chopped scallions, fresh cilantro, fat free sour cream and reduced fat cheddar.

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html

Servings: 8 servings Size: 1 cup
    Calories: 190 • Fat: 1.5 g • Fiber: 5.6 g • Carbs: 23.1 g • Protein: 21 g

24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
    14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
    15 oz can black beans
    8 oz frozen corn
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
    3 scallions, chopped
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
    salt to taste

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.

Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning.

Serve over rice-optional.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    marking my spot! I need inspiration for my crockpot!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    **Homemade Chicken Broth From Your Crock Pot**

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/homemade-chicken-stock-from-your-crock.html

What's better than coming home to homemade chicken stock and cleaning out your refrigerator at the same time. Simply throw all the ingredients into the crock pot the night before, turn it on in the morning and come home to a splendid stock. Save the chicken for recipes where shredded chicken is needed or use it in your soup. Lot's of people ask me for my chicken soup recipe but honestly, that depends on what's in my fridge. Here's an easy recipe for chicken stock. You can also use giblets, leftover chicken bones, wing tips or chicken backs.

Servings: Varies • Serving Size: 1 cup

3 chicken breast halves
    1 onion, quartered
    1 tomato, quartered 1 cup carrots
    2 celery stalks
    2 cloves garlic
    2-3 sprigs thyme
    3 bay leaves
    fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley (I used cilantro)
    whole peppercorns
    kosher salt

Place all ingredients into crock pot and fill with water. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

When it's done, throw out all the vegetables, strain the liquid and remove the chicken for other recipes, like chicken salad, or anything that calls for shredded chicken.

If you're not using the stock right away you can store it in containers and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for several months. When the stock is chilled, the fat will rise to the top and harden and you can easily remove it.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/homemade-chicken-stock-from-your-crock.html
    (always some great ideas in the comment section on her site)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    CorrieV1976
    Thanks for sharing the chili recipe... can't wait to try it, looks Yummy!:flowerforyou:
    Made this yesterday it was YUMMY,

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    **Crock Pot "Baked" Potatoes**

I'm always looking for new crock pot recipes and have been meaning to make these for quite some time. This is a great way to make "baked" potatoes on a hot summer day without heating up the house. I loved the fact that the potatoes were ready when I got home from work. All I had to do was throw some steaks on the grill, make a quick salad and dinner was done in less than 20 minutes. The potatoes come out with a deeper yellow color when cooked in the crock pot but they taste just like they do in the oven and the clean-up is quick and easy. Top with your favorite fixins!

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 potato

4 medium russet potatoes
    aluminum foil
    Toppings (extra pts): light sour cream, fresh chives, bacon bits, broccoli, cheese

Wash and scrub potatoes until clean. Dry thoroughly. When dry, prick potatoes with a fork and wrap in aluminum foil.

Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/crock-pot-baked-potatoes.html#more
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    **The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot**

By 100 Days of Real Food
    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

I’ve tried a ridiculous amount of crock pot recipes, and this is by far the best (and easiest) way to slow cook a whole chicken until it is falling-off-the bone delicious. And if you have a well-stocked spice cabinet you’ll hardly have to buy anything to make this dish. Once the chicken is done it is flavorful enough to eat by itself, or you can incorporate it into another dish like pasta, chicken salad, or a casserole.

Another great trick (that I learned from a friend!) is that after you pick off the good chicken meat you can leave the bones in the crock pot to make some stock. I usually start the chicken stock after dinner by filling it to the top with water, and then adding whatever I have on hand…bay leaf, carrot, celery, onion, parsley and/or thyme. Even if I am missing parsley or celery I still make it anyway, and it always turns out just fine. I keep it on low all night, and then in the morning I strain it into 1 or 2 cup Tupperware containers to store in the freezer. It works great and couldn't’be easier!

Ingredients

•2 teaspoons paprika

•1 teaspoon salt

•1 teaspoon onion powder

•1 teaspoon thyme

•½ teaspoon garlic powder

•¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper

•¼ teaspoon black pepper

•1 onion

•1 large chicken

Directions

1.Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
    2.Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
    3.Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
    4.Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
    5.Cook for 4 – 5 hours (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Don’t forget to make your homemade stock with the leftover bones!

Be sure and check the comment section on the recipe link above for some great tips and tricks!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    **Easy Slow Cooker Refried Beans**

By 100 Days of Real Food
    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/08/29/recipe-easy-slow-cooker-refried-beans/

(Adapted from allrecipes.com)

I think I might be a little late getting on this bandwagon, but refried beans with melted cheese on a warm homemade whole-wheat tortilla is the bomb! Oh and don’t forget to top it with a little sour cream (plain Greek Yogurt is even better!). I seriously cannot believe I am just figuring out how good this combination is. The reason why though is because I didn’t think I liked refried beans. That’s what happens when you only try them out of a can. But much like the difference between store-bought and homegrown tomatoes…homemade refried beans are light-years beyond the canned stuff! And with this super easy recipe below there is no excuse not to make them yourself.

I am even going to pull out a bullet point list to tell you all the reasons why I like this recipe so much:

- Beans in general are super cheap and a good source of protein
    - You don’t have to soak these dried beans overnight (which I often forget to do)
    - They are sooo easy to make you could even do it with one hand tied behind your back
    - You can freeze the leftovers for another day
    - And for me, since I don’t normally love beans for textural reasons, this mashed up version is the perfect way to make them extra good

Ingredients

•1 onion, peeled and halved
    •2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
    •½ fresh jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and chopped
    •2 cloves garlic, minced
    •¾ teaspoons salt
    •½ teaspoon black pepper
    •One big pinch of cumin
    •6 cups water

Directions

1.Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
    2.Cook on high for 8 hours or overnight while you are sleeping.
    3.Remove the bigger onion chunks and drain the excess liquid. If desired, save excess liquid until the final product is desired consistency.
    4.Mash remaining beans with a potato masher and voila! You have homemade refried beans.
  • BigPapaGato
    BigPapaGato Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    CROCK POT “ROTISSERIE” CHICKEN

1 whole roasting chicken
    4 Potatoes
    Seasonings( Lawry’s Season Salt was suggested) or season as preferred with healthier choices.

Wrap potatoes in foil. Place in bottom of crock pot.

Lightly spray chicken with Olive Oil Pam. Season as desired.

Place chicken, breast side down, on top of potatoes.

Cook on HIGH 4 hours. (or you can increase the time if cooking on low)

Now how much easier does it get than this?!:tongue::smokin:
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump and thanks!
  • fragilegoat
    fragilegoat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ba-bump.
  • momnorg
    momnorg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOve this idea for a site. Will check back alot.
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Salsa chicken

1 pkg boneless skinless chicken breasts (can be frozen or fresh)
    2 (15oz) canned white corn , rinsed.
    1 can Black Beans Rinsed
    1 can White Kidney Beans Rinsed
    1 large jar salsa

Put all ingredients in the crockpot, cook on high 4-5 hrs or low 8-10 or whenever you can easily shred the chicken (obviously longer if using frozen chicken!). Cals are around 280 per 1cup serving. Sodium is high on this recipe (about 1300mg per serving) so not good if you are watching your sodium. However, super yummy and super filling! There are lots of variations, you can also leave out the white beans, add in 1/2cup brown rice and 2c chicken broth for a variation.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    **Slow Cooker Beef Barley Stew**

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs beef stew meat
    1 cup pearl barley
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    5 medium carrots, chopped
    1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
    48oz. beef stock – more if needed (low or no sodium works fine)
    5 sprigs of fresh thyme – leaves pulled off the stem
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Stir all ingredients together in a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. If it looks as though there is not enough liquid, stir in some extra water or beef stock.

http://www.whatmegansmaking.com/
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump