Grocerys in UK

Options
PrincessLou71186
PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
I have always done my grocery shop a Tesco, a monthly shop online and bits and bobs when I want it at the store.

Anyway, my hubby was browsing and came across www.mysupermarket.com.

I decided this month to do our monthly shop through them and I am VERY pleased I did.

Unless I plan on using it within 72 hours of delivery, I won't purchase fresh produce.

?action=view&current=337319_10150631104266153_544506152_11221185_1858261733_o.jpg[img][/img]

Replies

• PinkGoth
    PinkGoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like Asda and Morrisons, have always found Tesco to be quite expensive!

Money saving expert is a great site for bargains too.
  • PrincessLou71186
    Options
    I can't get the picture to upload so:

ASDA - £156.66
    SAINSBURYS - £183.89 = +£27.23
    TESCO - £195.98 = +£39.32
    OCADO - £232.67 = +£76.01
    WAITROSE - £241.84 = +£85.18
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    WOW !
    Just goes to show hoe expensive some places really are, me and my Fiance use tesco for convenience, however when I say that I mean our old snack runs which have now stopped...

We shop in morrisons so do my mam and dad we also get Discount in there with my mam working there so its a bonus but one day my mam went to tesco got a shop cost a bomb and had nothing to show for it...
  • PrincessLou71186
    Options
    I would certainly be intrigued about Morrisons but we don't have one in Northern Ireland and I don't think they will want to deliver via a ferry. Lol.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've done online comparison shops between Tesco and Asda and generally find that they come out about on par.
    At least with Tesco I get my points, which I save up til November and get all the double up deals. I saved an absolute fortune at Christmas!
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Each supermarket has its own plus points for me. Asda make me spend more with their 'ONLY £1!' offers because it's so easy to add things to your trolley thinking that they're only a quid each and end up spending thirty quid you didn't need to. Tesco is my local (a five-minute walk) so it's convenient on an evening or on the way home from work. Morrisons has better fresh produce and fish.

It's not always about finding the cheapest, but finding a happy medium between quality and price. I'd happily pay a little more at Morrisons for their fresh produce than go to Asda with their crisps, cake, chocolate and biscuits 'only £1'.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Asda are the absolute worst for best by or use by date. Tesco are much better for that. Also if you get a Tesco credit card, you can use it to buy the shopping, pay it off straight away (you were going to use that money anyway) & you get 1 point for every 4 pounds spent on top of your usual points, which means extra vouchers every month.

mysupermarket is good too to save money but don't get caught out o delivery costs.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Im a supermarket tart. im also a bit of a food snob so price isnt always the be all and end all for me.

I buy stuff in Aldi (super 6 sometimes or dishwasher tablets/cheese) buy cleaning products etc when on offer in bulk, only use organic milk/veg/fruit and eat free range eggs and meat.

tend to do a "big shop" once a month, usually at asda, then top up from sainsburys/waitrose and organic veg box delivered every fortnight :)

i do a big ocado shop every so often for waitrose essentials as they are such high quality.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree Tesco is far from cheap, I find Asda too crowded & we couldn't get to like the flavour of some of Morrisons branded stock, although my partner is adamant their meat is of a better quality. We shop at Tesco, 1. Convenience(nearest) & 2. I get 10% off as staff, also I believe they have the best rewards scheme & we tend to save our money back vouchers to help pay for Summer & Christmas treats :)

Russ
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I used to shop at Morrisons all the time but have recently switched to Asda as I'm finding I'm saving a lot of money by doing that, but to be honest I tend to buy my fresh fruit and veg in our local market in the city centre and I really am saving a fortune by getting it there, plus it lasts a lot longer.

I used to just go and buy whatever, but now with 2 young children and money being a bit tight, I work out what I need buy planning an on line shop then go in with my list. I did use mysupermarket on Friday and I found it really useful as it made suggestions on how to save money, either by showing me a different brand, or by selecting a slightly larger size which was only a few pence more expensive.

Just a point to note, Sainsburys now do a price/brand match so they are a lot more competitive these days
  • PinkGoth
    PinkGoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The bargains are terrible in supermarkets, you don't see fruit on buy one get one free, but they always have biscuits and crisps on that offer... Tutt
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm a student, a vegan AND trying to eat healthy... I do an online shop once a month or so for staples at Asda, but I get my soy milk and all my veggies etc from Aldi.
    Aldi have the amazing 39p veggie deals every week, so I can keep shaking up my diet and trying loads of new things without breaking the bank!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped going to Tesco as I think it has gotten super expensive! And with the points being slashed there is little benefit.
    Our local Asda is bloody horrible, tiny isles, nothing in a sensible order..... Now using a large Lidl, my money goes much farther there!
  • lilichong
    Options
    I've just entered a 'Healthy eating' challenge on this site [http://balanceinme.com/balanced-body/start-eating-healthy-on-a-budget-in-1-month/] and its for free.

I find that having a budget list helps us to prevent from spending on stuff that screams i.e. Only 1 pound!! I used to live in the UK, I always ended up spending more on the supersaver offers as I never used to go with a shopping list, just a mental note of what I wish to get. If you want, this is a great budget list template from the 'Healthy eating' challenge - https://s3.amazonaws.com/life-balance/Budget_distributed.pdf

In terms of cheapest and with quality, I always like to shop in ASDA eventhough I usually had to take the bus to get there. As I lived alone back then, I'd do my grocery shopping twice in a month, with my big trolley bag so I don't have to carry so many plastics on the bus. The journey is always worth it, cos I save so much more buying from ASDA.

Tesco is only for convenience whenever I need something urgently or instantly.

Sigh. I miss those good days!
  • Kate_321
    Kate_321 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to shop at asda All the time as i foud it the cheapest, however i found their prices rising in a lot of items. I have now been shopping at tesco for the last 4months and it's definitely cheaper for me. I tend to decide what I want and then look online before I go to see what's cheapest. Ie which juice or foods are on offer. I then take my list (with prices) and try to stick to it, so I know roughly what the shop will cost me before The checkout. I dnt buy the same things all the time, I will switch to what's the best offer (tesco or branded)

Probably a bit OCD for most, but means I've reduced our bill and we are eating better!
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    LIDL is the only place i cannot abide. the one near me is full of people with SLS (*kitten* life syndrome) and its enough to make you suicidal.

Co-op, now THATS expensive.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would certainly be intrigued about Morrisons but we don't have one in Northern Ireland and I don't think they will want to deliver via a ferry. Lol.

Morrisons don't deliver in England either.

I literally live about 15-20 mins walk from Morrisons and Sainsburys (one in either direction) plus about 30 mins walk from a local Asda supermarket (not as good as the bigger one which is about 45 mins) and Iceland (good for frozen veg so you've got no excuse for eating healthy mid-shop!) so I tend to flit about the lot of them to get my bargains and get some exercise in the meantime ;0)
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I can't get the picture to upload so:

ASDA - £156.66
    SAINSBURYS - £183.89 = +£27.23
    TESCO - £195.98 = +£39.32
    OCADO - £232.67 = +£76.01
    WAITROSE - £241.84 = +£85.18

337319_10150631104266153_544506152_11221185_1858261733_o.jpg
    All you need to do is make sure the IMG is img
  • BlondieHorn
    Options
    I can definitely recommend Lidl! In particular for your veg - fresher and cheaper than anywhere else. Also great for your tins and jars and cooked meats too. Best bargain has to be eggs: Free Range medium box of 6 for 85p. Can't go wrong. And my favourite: a perfectly decent Montepulciano for £3.39. Just remember to take your own bags!

PS I'm not sponsored by them or anything - just sick of the Tesco Metros and Expresses near me never having what you want or stocking the best value ranges - infuriating!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    LIDL is the only place i cannot abide. the one near me is full of people with SLS (*kitten* life syndrome) and its enough to make you suicidal.

Co-op, now THATS expensive.

Lol! The Lidl I go to is out of town, my Ford Ka is the crappest car in the carpark by a long way........
    Co-op was my local until a Tesco Express opened up, now there are many bargains to be had at Co-op!