Aspartame and Cognitive Function?

Options
I have heard over and over and over again that aspartame is the devil. But I haven't seen a lot of research to back this up. I know it turns into formaldehyde, but I haven't seen conclusive evidence to indicate that that's bad for my body. I'm specifically interested in its impact on cognitive function. I have read testimonials, but all the studies I've seen indicate that it it doesn't. So, if there is science to support the bad rap it gets, please refer me to the studies so I can quit it without feeling like a delusional conspiracy theorist. Thanks!

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have heard over and over and over again that aspartame is the devil. But I haven't seen a lot of research to back this up.

There isn't any.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Asparatame has absolutely NO effect on cognitive function... unless maybe you were to inject it directly into the brain. That might sting a little (I'm joking! Please don't insert a cannula and inject the stuff into your brain).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9734727

Am J Clin Nutr. 1998 Sep;68(3):531-7.
    Aspartame: neuropsychologic and neurophysiologic evaluation of acute and chronic effects.
    Spiers PA, Sabounjian L, Reiner A, Myers DK, Wurtman J, Schomer DL.
    Source
    Clinical Research Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Neurobehavioral symptoms have been reported anecdotally with aspartame.
    OBJECTIVE:
    This study sought to determine whether aspartame can disrupt cognitive, neurophysiologic, or behavioral functioning in normal individuals.
    DESIGN:
    Forty-eight healthy volunteers completed a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. The first month was aspartame free. Subjects then consumed sodas and capsules with placebo, aspartame, or sucrose for 20 d each. Order was randomized and subjects were assigned to either a high- (45 mg x kg body wt(-1) x d(-1)) or low- (15 mg x kg body wt(-1) x d(-1)) dose aspartame group. Neuropsychologic and laboratory testing was done on day 10 of each treatment period to determine possible acute effects and on day 20 for possible chronic effects.
    RESULTS:
    Plasma phenylalanine concentrations increased significantly during aspartame treatment. Neuropsychologic results; adverse experiences; amino acid, insulin, and glucose values; and electroencephalograms were compared by sex and by treatment. No significant differences were found for any dependent measure.
    CONCLUSION:
    Large daily doses of aspartame had no effect on neuropsychologic, neurophysiologic, or behavioral functioning in healthy young adults.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8277950

N Engl J Med. 1994 Feb 3;330(5):301-7.
    Effects of diets high in sucrose or aspartame on the behavior and cognitive performance of children.
    Wolraich ML, Lindgren SD, Stumbo PJ, Stegink LD, Appelbaum MI, Kiritsy MC.
    Source
    Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Both dietary sucrose and the sweetener aspartame have been reported to produce hyperactivity and other behavioral problems in children.
    METHODS:
    We conducted a double-blind controlled trial with two groups of children: 25 normal preschool children (3 to 5 years of age), and 23 school-age children (6 to 10 years) described by their parents as sensitive to sugar. The children and their families followed a different diet for each of three consecutive three-week periods. One diet was high in sucrose with no artificial sweeteners, another was low in sucrose and contained aspartame as a sweetener, and the third was low in sucrose and contained saccharin (placebo) as a sweetener. All the diets were essentially free of additives, artificial food coloring, and preservatives. The children's behavior and cognitive performance were evaluated weekly.
    RESULTS:
    The preschool children ingested a mean (+/- SD) of 5600 +/- 2100 mg of sucrose per kilogram of body weight per day while on the sucrose diet, 38 +/- 13 mg of aspartame per kilogram per day while on the aspartame diet, and 12 +/- 4.5 mg of saccharin per kilogram per day while on the saccharin diet. The school-age children considered to be sensitive to sugar ingested 4500 +/- 1200 mg of sucrose per kilogram, 32 +/- 8.9 mg of aspartame per kilogram, and 9.9 +/- 3.9 mg of saccharin per kilogram, respectively. For the children described as sugar-sensitive, there were no significant differences among the three diets in any of 39 behavioral and cognitive variables. For the preschool children, only 4 of the 31 measures differed significantly among the three diets, and there was no consistent pattern in the differences that were observed.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    Even when intake exceeds typical dietary levels, neither dietary sucrose nor aspartame affects children's behavior or cognitive function.

There are other studies. Go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

Good luck!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Most of what I've read about Aspartame and also Splenda has been in Dr. Mercola's newsletters. If you go to mercola.com and search aspartame you will find a lot of information.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I stay away from it simply because it tastes awful.

I'd rather drink seltzer water than diet soda.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Most of what I've read about Aspartame and also Splenda has been in Dr. Mercola's newsletters. If you go to mercola.com and search aspartame you will find a lot of misinformation.

FYP.

Mercola is a quack.
  • issyfit
    Options
    Most of what I've read about Aspartame and also Splenda has been in Dr. Mercola's newsletters. If you go to mercola.com and search aspartame you will find a lot of misinformation.

FYP.

Mercola is a quack.

You are entitled to your opinion Ron, but I don't appreciate you changing my quote.
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your helpful information!
  • nevadjinn
    nevadjinn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OK Mercola claims a 15% drop in intelligence was found in the children of women who consumed aspartame. I can't find the study. Any leads?

Also, I would be interested in seeing evidence that Mercola is a quack. He is someone many people I know take advice from, so I'd be interested to know if they're followin' the wrong guru.

I am, at heart, a skeptic, so I prefer reading the actual studies for myself.

Thank you everyone for all the awesome input/evidence. I couldn't figure out this health thing alone :-)
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have asked every dr. I've ever been to if he/she could actually give me any scientific evidence as to why aspartame is bad for you. Not a single one could come up with anything. There isn't any real evidence. I've been drinking diet pop since I was about 8 and I'm doing just fine.
  • issyfit
    Options
    I have asked every dr. I've ever been to if he/she could actually give me any scientific evidence as to why aspartame is bad for you. Not a single one could come up with anything. There isn't any real evidence. I've been drinking diet pop since I was about 8 and I'm doing just fine.

Some people are more sensitive to aspartame than others. My mother in law developed terrible headaches from it that went away when she quit consuming it. Dr. Mercola's articles are based on others' studies so he cites a lot of sources. Here is a list of his articles and at the bottom of each one is a list of references.
    http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=aspartame
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    Thanks!
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    OK Mercola claims a 15% drop in intelligence was found in the children of women who consumed aspartame. I can't find the study. Any leads?

Also, I would be interested in seeing evidence that Mercola is a quack. He is someone many people I know take advice from, so I'd be interested to know if they're followin' the wrong guru.

I am, at heart, a skeptic, so I prefer reading the actual studies for myself.

Thank you everyone for all the awesome input/evidence. I couldn't figure out this health thing alone :-)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-fda-warns-mercola-20110425,0,7369962.story

http://www.casewatch.org/fdawarning/prod/2006/mercola2.shtml
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Some people are more sensitive to aspartame than others. My mother in law developed terrible headaches from it that went away when she quit consuming it. Dr. Mercola's articles are based on others' studies so he cites a lot of sources. Here is a list of his articles and at the bottom of each one is a list of references.
    http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=aspartame

Really????

Several of the articles have no references at all, and the ones that do link to opinion pieces and HuffPo.

Not a PubMed link in sight.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18627677

Dermatitis. 2008 May-Jun;19(3):E10-1.
    Formaldehyde, aspartame, and migraines: a possible connection.
    Jacob SE, Stechschulte S.
    Source

Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami, Miami, FL, USA.
    Abstract

Aspartame is a widely used artificial sweetener that has been linked to pediatric and adolescent migraines. Upon ingestion, aspartame is broken, converted, and oxidized into formaldehyde in various tissues. We present the first case series of aspartame-associated migraines related to clinically relevant positive reactions to formaldehyde on patch testing.
    Comment in

Dermatitis. 2009 May-Jun;20(3):176-7; author reply 177-9.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21822758

Neurotox Res. 2011 Aug 6. [Epub ahead of print]
    Effect of Aspartame on Oxidative Stress and Monoamine Neurotransmitter Levels in Lipopolysaccharide-Treated Mice.
    Abdel-Salam OM, Salem NA, Hussein JS.
    Source

Department of Toxicology and Narcotics, National Research Centre, Tahrir St., Dokki, Cairo, Egypt, omasalam@hotmail.com.
    Abstract

This study aimed at investigating the effect of the sweetener aspartame on oxidative stress and brain monoamines in normal circumstances and after intraperitoneal (i.p.) administration of lipopolysaccharide (LPS; 100 μg/kg) in mice. Aspartame (0.625-45 mg/kg) was given via subcutaneous route at the time of endotoxin administration. Mice were euthanized 4 h later. Reduced glutathione (GSH), lipid peroxidation (thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances; TBARS), and nitrite concentrations were measured in brain and liver. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) and glucose were determined in brain. Alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), and alkaline phosphatase (ALP) were measured in liver. The administration of only aspartame (22.5 and 45 mg/kg) increased brain TBARS by 17.7-32.8%, decreased GSH by 25.6-31.6%, and increased TNF-α by 16.7-44%. Aspartame caused dose-dependent inhibition of brain serotonin, noradrenaline, and dopamine. Aspartame did not alter liver TBARS, nitrite, GSH, AST, ALT, or ALP. The administration of LPS increased nitrite in brain and liver by 26.8 and 37.1%, respectively; decreased GSH in brain and liver by 21.6 and 31.1%, respectively; increased brain TNF-α by 340.4%, and glucose by 39.9%, and caused marked increase in brain monoamines. LPS increased AST, ALT, and ALP in liver tissue by 84.4, 173.7, and 258.9%, respectively. Aspartame given to LPS-treated mice at 11.25 and 22.5 mg/kg increased brain TBARS by 15.5-16.9%, nitrite by 12.6-20.1%, and mitigated the increase in monoamines. Aspartame did not alter liver TBARS, nitrite, GSH, ALT, AST, or ALP. Thus, the administration of aspartame alone or in the presence of mild systemic inflammatory response increases oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain, but not in the liver.

PMID:
    [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21376768

Food Chem Toxicol. 2011 Jun;49(6):1203-7. Epub 2011 Mar 3.
    Effect of long term intake of aspartame on antioxidant defense status in liver.
    Abhilash M, Paul MV, Varghese MV, Nair RH.
    Source

School of Biosciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala 686560, India.
    Abstract

The present study evaluates the effect of long term intake of aspartame, the artificial sweetener, on liver antioxidant system and hepatocellular injury in animal model. Eighteen adult male Wistar rats, weighing 150-175 g, were randomly divided into three groups as follows: first group was given aspartame dissolved in water in a dose of 500 mg/kg b.wt.; the second group was given a dose of 1000 mg/kg b.wt.; and controls were given water freely. Rats that had received aspartame (1000 mg/kg b.wt.) in the drinking water for 180 days showed a significant increase in activities of alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and γ-glutamyl transferase (GGT). The concentration of reduced glutathione (GSH) and the activity of glutathione peroxidase (GPx), and glutathione reductase (GR) were significantly reduced in the liver of rats that had received aspartame (1000 mg/kg b.wt.). Glutathione was significantly decreased in both the experimental groups. Histopathological examination revealed leukocyte infiltration in aspartame-treated rats (1000 mg/kg b.wt.). It can be concluded from these observations that long term consumption of aspartame leads to hepatocellular injury and alterations in liver antioxidant status mainly through glutathione dependent system.

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

aspartame is broken, converted, and oxidized into formaldehyde in various tissues, this alone does not make me want to ingest it. formaldehyde is a very toxic carcinogen. The other studies show brain damage and liver disfunction due to aspartame.
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    Where are the ones that show brain damage? I can't seem to find them.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Injecting aspartame directly into the brains of rats gave them migranes.

Shocking.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

This articles shows nothing about Mercola being a quack only that he labeled natural products as disease cures.
    chlorella, coconut oil, and vitamin k2 are all very good for you. Unfortunately no one is willing to pay for studies on natural products since they would not have exclusive rights on them like a patent on a drug. FDA influenced by the drug companies.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

Thus, the administration of aspartame alone or in the presence of mild systemic inflammatory response increases oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Thus, the administration of aspartame alone or in the presence of mild systemic inflammatory response increases oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain.

If you happen to be a lab rat, and have had the aspartame injected directly into your brain.

If, on the other hand, you happen to be a human being drinking a diet soda you'll be just fine.

Oh, and the rat study you posted where the aspartame was ingested?
    Rats that had received aspartame (1000 mg/kg b.wt.) in the drinking water for 180 days

Scaled to human proportions, that's the equivalent of over 100 diet sodas a day for 6 months straight.

If you're drinking that much diet soda, you've got bigger issues than aspartame.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

This articles shows nothing about Mercola being a quack only that he labeled natural products as disease cures.
    chlorella, coconut oil, and vitamin k2 are all very good for you. Unfortunately no one is willing to pay for studies on natural products since they would not have exclusive rights on them like a patent on a drug. FDA influenced by the drug companies.

I see you conveniently ignored this one:
    On Dr. Joseph Mercola's popular website, women are warned against getting mammograms to screen for breast cancer.

Instead, the Chicago-area physician touts thermograms — digital images of skin surface temperatures — as an early detection tool for a wide range of conditions from cancer to back pain, from lupus to arthritis.

The American Cancer Society states that "no study has ever shown that it is an effective screening tool for finding breast cancer early. It should not be used as a substitute for mammograms."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-fda-warns-mercola-20110425,0,7369962.story