Aspartame and Cognitive Function?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I just think if it was created in a lab, I don't want to eat it.
    Then don't eat seedless grapes or oranges.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Fine until when? Maybe in a few years, another study will prove that it does cause cancer.
    It's been happening a lot in history.
    Not long ago, they made thermometers with mercury...
    Not long ago, they used lead in paint...
    Humans discover new chemicals or new use to chemicals and they start using them as soon as possible to make the most profit of of them. They don't want to wait 30 years to research the long time side effects.
    Anyway, it's your body. I don't want to take the chance to maybe ''be fine''.
    Well I've been drinking diet soda for more than 30 years, so I don't think it's an issue if it hasn't popped up by now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    In moderation just like everything else
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I hadn't realised it converted to formaldehyde - everyone does realise that this is what is used to pickle, in effect, body parts for study? You know those big jars with random organs, foetuses etc - they're all filled with formaldehyde. Not something I'd want in my body!
    Guess you didn't know that happens with fruits too?

IDEA Fitness member
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm not up to speed on scientific studies, nor do I really care to some degree because I'm more interested in how it effects me.

I used to drink diet sodas when I lost weight in college. Mostly is just took me a while to get used to the taste. Well after I got down to a comforatable I didnt have the need for fake sugar, i was eating in moderation and exercising regularly. When I got pregnant I would crave sodas and since I was allowed to have 1 or 2 a day based on caffine intake i let myself have one EVERYDAY, on of the main reasons I gained so much during pregnancy I'm sure. I wouldn't drink diet while pregnant but afterwards, when it was hard to put down the can, I tried switching to diet. I kept getting these nausea inducing headaches and tried several things, switching BC, watching my caffine, getting my eyes checked, but the headaches continued until i cut out fake sugar. It wasn't just diet soda, I couldn't drink lemonade made with Splenda or eat Yoplait Light, etc.

Now, I don't use fake sugar for anything and rely on moderation to allow the use of regular sugars. I even check the labels if I'm debating buying something light to make sure is isn't "light" because is uses aspartame. I also don't feed it to my daughter either, because she's 3 and i don't see the point. I try to make sure she eats well balanced meals and doesn't bringe on sweets so I'm not really worried about the extra calories she might get from real sugar, again... moderation.
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    But before I end up under fire, I'd also like to say I don't care if other people are pro-aspartame. I was just sharing my experience, I think some people do have a senitivity and others may develop one over time.... and no, I'm not a doctor.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    This is always a hot and cold topic. Here is a bit of personal and friend related experiances. it affects everyone differently as does most things in life, but I find if you think its probably bad it probably is. anything that goes in your body affects your entire body one way or another. I avoid it myself but sometimes I end up eating some and I get a headache.

Bad effects of fake sugars on myself or a friend
    1. headaches within minutes or hours of consuming (myself, my dad, my best friend and son)
    2. weight gain (how many people here claim to have consumed it all the time for years, and they are overwieght?) surprisingly if you google "artificial sugars and weight gain or loss" you will find plenty of support for this one and some very sad stories
    3. mood - OMG this is a biggy, beleive it or not I have personally noted in people around me that those who drink a diet pop get pretty snarky and generally grumbly. My co worker has a diet coke, and he is the biggest turd for the rest of the day. My nephew has autism and if he has any asparatame, within minutes he gets uncontrolably volent THAT alone is enought evidence for me, I have seen it is is scary. Google asparatame and autism or mood. my best friend had aggression issues and severe mood swings, she was drinking a diet pop every day. she stopped after her doctor told her to stop consuming fake sugars and just like that her mood improved and her agression waned and she is back to normal. Oh and if she does have a diet pop her mood immediatly alters for the worst.
    4. It tastes like crap its not even a real food. Eating crayons or playdoh might not kill you but that doesnt mean you should. OOOH if you want to read some interesting articles google. "sugar alcohols and death" warning the articles are sad and alarming.
    5. poop. Some people like my dad get diarreah/cramps/vomiting etc from fake sugars. if he unknowingly has a large amount he ends up in the hospital.

I could go on, but really if you have to ask for evidence to support it one way or another becuase you are unsure, you are trying to tell yourself something.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I hadn't realised it converted to formaldehyde - everyone does realise that this is what is used to pickle, in effect, body parts for study? You know those big jars with random organs, foetuses etc - they're all filled with formaldehyde. Not something I'd want in my body!
    Guess you didn't know that happens with fruits too?

IDEA Fitness member

No, I didn't, but thanks for pointing that out. It has lead me off into a little research, and my very imperfect understanding at this point suggests that, although pectins in fruit do convert to formaldehyde, via the expression of methanol, the simultaneous presence of natural ethanols counteracts this effectively. More research to be done - today is the first I have heard about aspartame (or fruit) converting to formaldehyde. The other interesting thing that has come up repeatedly in my little bit of digging around, is that humans are markedly evolutionarily different to all lab animals, including monkeys, in their relative inability to process methanols in the digestive system. This suggests to me that clinical trials performed on lab animals are not likely to be entirely credible/straightforward in relation to toxicity in humans.
  • castadiva
    Options

3. mood - OMG this is a biggy, beleive it or not I have personally noted in people around me that those who drink a diet pop get pretty snarky and generally grumbly. My co worker has a diet coke, and he is the biggest turd for the rest of the day. My nephew has autism and if he has any asparatame, within minutes he gets uncontrolably volent THAT alone is enought evidence for me, I have seen it is is scary. Google asparatame and autism or mood. my best friend had aggression issues and severe mood swings, she was drinking a diet pop every day. she stopped after her doctor told her to stop consuming fake sugars and just like that her mood improved and her agression waned and she is back to normal. Oh and if she does have a diet pop her mood immediatly alters for the worst.

I understand aspartame inhibits the production/reception of serotonin - the 'feel good' enzyme that exercise (and natural sugar!) releases. This would be borne out by your observations. My knowledge of this area is very limited, but I'm fairly vigilant about avoiding aspartame entirely, as a result of my own experiences.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The only alarming thing about aspartame that I've heard is that in some clinical trials it was linked to increased violence in lab mice, however looking through scholarly journals I have access to I can't see much. Looking at google, there is a ton of derp about it, but nothing scientific.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I understand aspartame inhibits the production/reception of serotonin - the 'feel good' enzyme that exercise (and natural sugar!) releases. This would be borne out by your observations. My knowledge of this area is very limited, but I'm fairly vigilant about avoiding aspartame entirely, as a result of my own experiences.

Probably not directly.

Indirectly, a lot of food/drink stimulates the release or serotonin, dopamine, etc... (that's why it's so difficult to modify our behavior when it comes to food). Aspartame is usually consumed with food/drink, so it's pretty unlikely it's going to significantly dampen the effect of food. But it's possible. There are studies that suggest aspartame decreases appetite, and that could be related to its effect on serotonin (if there is a real effect).

Unfortunately, there are also studies that suggest aspartame does the exact opposite- increase appetite...

Anyway, point is, the waters are muddy and it's just not clear whether aspartame can do any of the things that people say it does... and at any rate, decreasing serotoinin levels might not be a bad thing if it helps modify food-seeking behavior in the obese.
  • sbeisel1
    Options
    The only alarming thing about aspartame that I've heard is that in some clinical trials it was linked to increased violence in lab mice, however looking through scholarly journals I have access to I can't see much. Looking at google, there is a ton of derp about it, but nothing scientific.
    My nephew with autism has extreme violent behaviour within minutes of consuming asparatame, my brother followed the docotors "ellimination/addition" diet test to verify. It is really scary when it happens. After days with strict clean diet, makeing sure no sugars or asparatame or added sugar they gave him a drink with a small amount of asparatame in, and within minutes they were having to restrain him from hurting others and even hinmself. he goes from calm and quiet to violent and aggressive.
    watch people for yourself many do exhibit behaviour changes after a diet pop or snack. my coworker gets cranky and snippy after his lunch diet coke. I can go on, its different for everyone but I have seen enough myself.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Science > hearsay & anecdotes

Always approach things initially with skepticism.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my own experience and not any scientific evidence. I have an aversion to apartame. Previously I was using diet/nutritional products that had aspartame in them a couple times a day. I started to get blemishes on my chin (which I never had before, even when I was a teenager) and I was always very tired and moody. It was suggested to me by a very well educated friend who is a pharamcist and has TONS of nutritional knowledge that I might be allergic to aspartame. Once I removed all products with aspartame from my diet my skin cleared up and I had my normal energy back. If I unknowingly comsume products with aspartame, I experience the same reactions again. Until I started reading labels I didn't realize how prevelent aspartame is in food. Light yogurts, juice, coffee creamer, crystal light, and basically any low sugar or light food that is sweet has aspartame in it.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Oh good it's not PMS LOL Just kidding! HA
    But I do get cranky sometimes and to be honest I do like diet soda. ; )
  • castadiva
    Options

Anyway, point is, the waters are muddy and it's just not clear whether aspartame can do any of the things that people say it does... and at any rate, decreasing serotoinin levels might not be a bad thing if it helps modify food-seeking behavior in the obese.

But surely, decreased serotonin-levels would lead to an increase in the consumption of serotonin-producing foods, often sugary or fatty, in obese people?! If the body/brain is used to a high serotonin level, and that is inhibited by artificial sweeteners, the person so affected is likely to want to eat both the artificially-sweetened product AND the sugary/fatty serotonin-producing item, to maintain their serotonin level. Hence, cravings...
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

But surely, decreased serotonin-levels would lead to an increase in the consumption of serotonin-producing foods, often sugary or fatty, in obese people?! If the body/brain is used to a high serotonin level, and that is inhibited by artificial sweeteners, the person so affected is likely to want to eat both the artificially-sweetened product AND the sugary/fatty serotonin-producing item, to maintain their serotonin level. Hence, cravings...

Naw... it's way more complicated than that (the brain ALWAYS is :grumble: ). Besides, plenty of scientific studies demonstrate that aspartame does NOT increase appetite (and plenty of them show that it does... but the 'does not' out number the 'does').

People (including us silly neuroscientists) love to simplify everything into easy-to-understand signaling circuits. Alas, biology doesn't do the same. If the end-point (increased appetite) doesn't show a clear cause and effect, you just can't say there's a clear cause and effect. The best you can say is 'some studies...'

Also consider, most people aren't eating aspartame in the concentrations used in the lab. It's probably not doing anything to serotonin at all at the concentrations used.
  • sbeisel1
    Options
    Naw... it's way more complicated than that (the brain ALWAYS is :grumble: ). Besides, plenty of scientific studies demonstrate that aspartame does NOT increase appetite (and plenty of them show that it does... but the 'does not' out number the 'does').

The fact that there is a "does" and there is a "does not" should be enough. one outnumbering the other is mute. Make up your own mind, studies or not, use your own deduction, it negatively affects some people and in others has no apparent effect. eating a crayon wont hurt you but it doesnt make it food.
  • castadiva
    Options

People (including us silly neuroscientists) love to simplify everything into easy-to-understand signaling circuits. Alas, biology doesn't do the same. If the end-point (increased appetite) doesn't show a clear cause and effect, you just can't say there's a clear cause and effect. The best you can say is 'some studies...'

Also consider, most people aren't eating aspartame in the concentrations used in the lab. It's probably not doing anything to serotonin at all at the concentrations used.

Silly neuroscientists :laugh: :wink: If I ever give up on my musical career and follow the family tradition back into medicine/medical science, it's either that or genetics for me! Fascinating stuff.

There's an increasing number of studies being reported over here in the UK at the moment that appear to indicate that aspartame does increase appetite, so maybe the do's will catch up to the don'ts sooner rather than later... I take your point about the concentrations, but I was under the impression that it's cumulative anyway, as we lack the ability to metabolise and dispose of the resulting waste product effectively?

Not sure why I'm debating this, actually, as I've avoided the stuff scrupulously for years, and my only recent encounter resulted in a blinding headache, the shakes and a numb right-hand side... It's interesting though! Learning all sorts of stuff.:smile:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

The fact that there is a "does" and there is a "does not" should be enough.

If you've ever read a scientific study, you will never see these conclusions.

You will see a "may" or "no indication that...".