How did you overcome your plateau? Did you just wait it out?

Options
Hi everyone!

So far I've lost about 41 pounds and since the end of December . Around Christmas time I've hit a plateau. I know its a plateau now because I've been stuck at the same weight for about a month. Many have told me to eat more. I start out at 1200 calories a day and so I increased my calories to 1400 and the scale didnt move. Then people were telling me to eat my exercise calories back or atleast some of them. I've been doing that and the scale still isnt moving. I started incorporating more weights/strength training and I notice a difference in muscle definition so I weighed myself and I lost one pound but then quickly gained it back the next day. What have you guys done to get pass your plateau? Am I doing the right things by eating more and lifting more weights or should I just wait it out?

Replies

• mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same here...I am 5'9" and have been stuck at 144 for months now. I would like to lose another 4 lbs but it doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe I am where I should be for my height? I also have increased my calories but no difference.
  • Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same here...I am 5'9" and have been stuck at 144 for months now. I would like to lose another 4 lbs but it doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe I am where I should be for my height? I also have increased my calories but no difference.

Sounds about right for your height. Sadly I'm only 5'2 :frown: so I need to lose a good 20 more pounds to be in a healthy range
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

So far I've lost about 41 pounds and since the end of December . Around Christmas time I've hit a plateau. I know its a plateau now because I've been stuck at the same weight for about a month. Many have told me to eat more. I start out at 1200 calories a day and so I increased my calories to 1400 and the scale didnt move. Then people were telling me to eat my exercise calories back or atleast some of them. I've been doing that and the scale still isnt moving. I started incorporating more weights/strength training and I notice a difference in muscle definition so I weighed myself and I lost one pound but then quickly gained it back the next day. What have you guys done to get pass your plateau? Am I doing the right things by eating more and lifting more weights or should I just wait it out?
    A "plateau" is 6 weeks or more of no loss WHILE on consistent diet plan and exercise. You're actually in a stall. Keep lifting. Lift heavy to raise you RMR. Challenge yourself in exercise and just don't go through the movements. Give it a couple of weeks and then reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    Hi everyone!

A "plateau" is 6 weeks or more of no loss WHILE on consistent diet plan and exercise. You're actually in a stall. Keep lifting. Lift heavy to raise you RMR. Challenge yourself in exercise and just don't go through the movements. Give it a couple of weeks and then reassess.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks. I'm very impatient :tongue: ..... Question. Is it possible to lose inches and not weight on the scale? I've had a friend tell me that it looks like I'm losing weight, yet the numbers shows a different story.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've lost 43 so far but nothing since right before Christmas. I have tried a bunch of different things in the past 6 weeks and nothing is working. I increased my calories (basically to maintenance) and took a break from exercising so much for 2 weeks while I was on vacation for Christmas--I think I ran twice a week for those two weeks). Then when I got back home, I lowered my calories again and went back to running regularly and strength training. I thought it would be a nice reset and I'd start losing again. Nope. So then I tried eating more again. Nope. I tried low carb for a few days but I just can't stick with that long term. And I didn't even lose an ounce then either anyway. I still have a lot of belly fat and at least 10lbs to lose. It's starting to really frustrate me.

The scale just.won't.budge. And I'm not losing inches either.
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've lost 43 so far but nothing since right before Christmas. I have tried a bunch of different things in the past 6 weeks and nothing is working. I increased my calories (basically to maintenance) and took a break from exercising so much for 2 weeks while I was on vacation for Christmas--I think I ran twice a week for those two weeks). Then when I got back home, I lowered my calories again and went back to running regularly and strength training. I thought it would be a nice reset and I'd start losing again. Nope. So then I tried eating more again. Nope. I tried low carb for a few days but I just can't stick with that long term. And I didn't even lose an ounce then either anyway. I still have a lot of belly fat and at least 10lbs to lose. It's starting to really frustrate me.

The scale just.won't.budge. And I'm not losing inches either.

I feel your pain! Atleast your really close. Those last 10 pounds are a killer!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    As you begin to tone and strengthen your body ... You will see inches lost. It is more important to notice these results than to pay attention to any number on a scale. Notice the definition in your muscles and work towards building your core as strong as possible. You could change up your eating habits and implement a zig zag method ... Google it. We sometimes have to rev our metabolism by tricking it with consumption calories. There are a lot of tricks to the trade ... But finding what works for you is key !

I am no expert by far ... Just an example of ... The struggle and wait are well worth the results !

Best of luck ! :)
  • athearenee
    Options
    YES!!!

I felt a difference in my clothes but numbers haven't changed in a week...I didn't say anything to my husband about what my weight was and He actually said..."Wow, Babe....I can already see a difference"....(Love That!!)--for any doubters...my husband is brutally honest and doesn't believe in 'blowing smoke'

Losing is Awesome...be it inches or lbs. =)
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    YES!!!

I felt a difference in my clothes but numbers haven't changed in a week...I didn't say anything to my husband about what my weight was and He actually said..."Wow, Babe....I can already see a difference"....(Love That!!)--for any doubters...my husband is brutally honest and doesn't believe in 'blowing smoke'

Losing is Awesome...be it inches or lbs. =)

Yeah a co-worker actually mentioned it to me too. She was like "Have you lost more weight?". She sees me a few times a week so I must losing inches. But in my head I'm like :grumble: this freakin scale!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'm very impatient :tongue: ..... Question. Is it possible to lose inches and not weight on the scale? I've had a friend tell me that it looks like I'm losing weight, yet the numbers shows a different story.

Yeah, you can lose inches and not weight on the scale
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

Yes very possible.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    As you begin to tone and strengthen your body ... You will see inches lost. It is more important to notice these results than to pay attention to any number on a scale. Notice the definition in your muscles and work towards building your core as strong as possible. You could change up your eating habits and implement a zig zag method ... Google it. We sometimes have to rev our metabolism by tricking it with consumption calories. There are a lot of tricks to the trade ... But finding what works for you is key !

I am no expert by far ... Just an example of ... The struggle and wait are well worth the results !

Best of luck ! :)

Will try! I've heard of zig-zaging but never looked into it.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck since Oct!!!! I have lost inches and dropped pants sizes so I know I'm still doing something right. I hate the scale. I'm only 5'2 and I'm stuck at 139ish. My belly is holding on to the rest of my weight. Not sure how much is left over skin and how much is fat (looks gross). I keep trying new workouts and I added heavy weights (love that). But, I figure this is a life style change and it keeps me going! Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    I've been stuck since Oct!!!! I have lost inches and dropped pants sizes so I know I'm still doing something right. I hate the scale. I'm only 5'2 and I'm stuck at 139ish. My belly is holding on to the rest of my weight. Not sure how much is left over skin and how much is fat (looks gross). I keep trying new workouts and I added heavy weights (love that). But, I figure this is a life style change and it keeps me going! Hang in there. :flowerforyou:

I'm hangin :drinker: .....Good to know your still losing inches. I'm 5'2 also. I wish I could get down to the 130's :cry: ......One day I suppose
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm hangin :drinker: .....Good to know your still losing inches. I'm 5'2 also. I wish I could get down to the 130's :cry: ......One day I suppose

I echo the "hang in there"!! I'm a fellow shorty who faced several plateaus...they do end. Unfortunately it's not straightforward to figure out why the scale won't go down, but if you're losing inches, focus on that since really that's more improtant than the scale anyway!! For me, I had to eat more to break through my plateau as I gained muscle and became more in shape...my body needed more than 1400 calories. Just keep changing things up, keep it at, and don't lose hope!!
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    Spike diet.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

It's very strange, but this is what got me through my last plateau:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/plateau-vs-chocolate-who-won-116497

I'm also 5'2". :)
  • Ebwash89
    Options

I echo the "hang in there"!! I'm a fellow shorty who faced several plateaus...they do end. Unfortunately it's not straightforward to figure out why the scale won't go down, but if you're losing inches, focus on that since really that's more improtant than the scale anyway!! For me, I had to eat more to break through my plateau as I gained muscle and became more in shape...my body needed more than 1400 calories. Just keep changing things up, keep it at, and don't lose hope!!

I'm eating at about 1400 a day now. Should I increase it some more? How much are you eating now not factoring in workouts?
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I hear you!! I am down almost 50 lbs, and i have hit a brick wall! I started at 195 lbs, i am now 148, but bouncing around 148-150 (no biggy) I am looking to get to 135 and eventually 115-120 (im 5 ft 1 on a good day) .. but i havent lost ANYTHING since December!!!!!! :| Ive changed my workouts 3 times, and ive been playing with my diet, but to no avail. I see all these people losing their weight and inches, but for me... NOPE lol. I just started Turbo fore 2 weeks ago.. Currently i am adding a bunch of different foods again to see if i can move it along.. or should i just continue on and wait it out? this has happened to me before.. no inches lost or lbs, but my transformation pics told a different story?! Bleh.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ebwash...I only went back a week into your diary, but did notice for the last 7 days you are over sometimes very over your sodium goal. You may want to cut back in that.