How did you overcome your plateau? Did you just wait it out?

Options

Replies

• Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also what do you do on weekends when you want to go out with friends and family?

Plan ahead. What restaurant will you be going to? Do they have a website? Do they list their nutritional information on their website? If so, stay away from anything under their Light or Under 500 menu... they are the worst offenders of sodium overload. Instead, look for lean meats or seafood and have a steamed or grilled veggie with it (ask for no seasoning or butter). A side salad will also help but ask for the dressing on the side.

On special occasions when you are out with friends, don't worry about your meal so much. Just balance it out by adjusting the rest of your day, or refocus the next day. No reason you can't enjoy some indulgent foods once in a while... just not every day. :)

Thanks. I would hate to have to kill my social life for weight loss :cry:
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? If not might be worth the investment.

http://skinnyms.com/category/recipes/skinny-ms-slow-cooker/
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Watching that sodium from now on and cooking more :glasses:

WOOHOO! You are lovely and doing an amazing job. I love to experiment with things. If you ever get stuck and aren't making the progress you think you should be seeing... change things up, try new things and ask questions. You got this, girl!!!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was in a slump from beginning of December to mid-January when I then started with a trainer. She moved me to a "clean eating" food plan. I then started seeing the weight come off. I went from 10 diet sodas a day to 2 of them now. I workout 5-6 days a week.
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? If not might be worth the investment.

http://skinnyms.com/category/recipes/skinny-ms-slow-cooker/

I sure do. How do you feel about Hungry girl? I love her recipies
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    Watching that sodium from now on and cooking more :glasses:

WOOHOO! You are lovely and doing an amazing job. I love to experiment with things. If you ever get stuck and aren't making the progress you think you should be seeing... change things up, try new things and ask questions. You got this, girl!!!

:flowerforyou: Goal weight here I come!!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same here...I am 5'9" and have been stuck at 144 for months now. I would like to lose another 4 lbs but it doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe I am where I should be for my height? I also have increased my calories but no difference.

Your BMI is 21.3 and is in the normal range of 18.5-24.9. Good job :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I overcame a plateau last year by a) getting very tight with my diet - no cheat days, measure and weigh everything and b) challenge my body with unfamiliar exercises - ie: I started running 3x a week.

This year, I have started Zumba, Spinning and Kickboxing classes (instead of running) to change it up and challenge my body.

My body doesn't like losing weight. The difficulty I'm having losing weight is probably related to how easy it was to maintain for 25 years. Payback!! :mad:
  • sfkitty
    sfkitty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I am having the same problem. I lost 28 lbs in about 6 months. Now I am stuck around the same weight for the last 3 months. Initially I did a very low carb diet and then started adding complex carbs back over the past 2 months. I have also increased my workouts, and have tried mixing things up. For example, last week I did a barre method class, yoga, two body pump classes, one bootcamp class, and several high intensity interval training sessions. I am really active, so I can't imagine exercising more that I already am. I have tried calorie cycling as well. I tried going up and down on my calories. I had a few slip ups here and there, but I am pretty consistent. I try to eat between 1500-1800 calories/day. I am 5"9" and 154 lbs today (up from 151 lbs). My ideal weight is 140 lbs. I'm lost! Any advice?
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    I overcame a plateau last year by a) getting very tight with my diet - no cheat days, measure and weigh everything and b) challenge my body with unfamiliar exercises - ie: I started running 3x a week.

This year, I have started Zumba, Spinning and Kickboxing classes (instead of running) to change it up and challenge my body.

My body doesn't like losing weight. The difficulty I'm having losing weight is probably related to how easy it was to maintain for 25 years. Payback!! :mad:

Yeah :explode: . My body doesnt like me!
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Spike diet.

I agree 100%. You have to shake your body up a little. That's why "cheat days" or days where you consume more calories are needed. I bumped my calories up and I lost 5 lbs in 1 week.
    Prior to that- I've been at the same weight for about 2+ weeks.
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    Spike diet.

I agree 100%. You have to shake your body up a little. That's why "cheat days" or days where you consume more calories are needed. I bumped my calories up and I lost 5 lbs in 1 week.
    I've been at the same weight for about 2+ weeks.

I increased my calories to 1400 from 1200. Should I be eating more?
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    yes. Starvation diets are great for short term. After that your body learns how to flip you off and adjust to your lower intake.
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    yes. Starvation diets are great for short term. After that your body learns how to flip you off and adjust to your lower intake.

Hahaha! Yeah my body is definitely saying eff you. So is 1400(bmr) the right way to go or do you think maybe eat even more at probably maintenance?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    A spike diet is where you eat low calories for 6 days and then eat very high calories for 1 day. The calories average out to the desired amount for the whole week, but the high calorie day helps with the hormones that regulate weight loss.

So, for example, you could eat 1200 kc for 6 days, then eat 2500 on the 7th. The average calories for the week would be 1386 per day which works out to be close to your current goal.
  • Ebwash89
    Options
    A spike diet is where you eat low calories for 6 days and then eat very high calories for 1 day. The calories average out to the desired amount for the whole week, but the high calorie day helps with the hormones that regulate weight loss.

So, for example, you could eat 1200 kc for 6 days, then eat 2500 on the 7th. The average calories for the week would be 1386 per day which works out to be close to your current goal.

Thats not considering exercise cals?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body is experiencing some changes, so let that happen while trying what worked for me.
    I was in a similar situation, and gave it 6 weeks.

That was my 211 wall - 211 pounds. I could not break that wall.
    And then I did. I incorporated a free day - ate 6000 calories in one day. I still do that weekly - call it "Re-Feed Therapy"
    The next wall was 200 - same thing.

The temptation is to change up your whole program every time things don't go right.
    Give it more time, and consider consulting with a personal trainer if you have the means.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    During my first plateau, I went from 1200 to 1400, then I upped things to 1500 net for my second plateau. Not accounting for exercise, I eat about 1800-2000 calories a day (depending on my activity level...I eat back my exercise calories).
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm currently going through a plateau, I upped my calories and the next day of eating more I dropped a few ounces, and today I stepped on the scale, and lost more, I'm finally starting to see a little drop here and there. Hoping this really gets it going. I started at 1200 and moved to 1320 which is where I'm at currently. I have a hard time eating that much.
  • shariTN
    shariTN Posts: 53
    Options
    Didn't read all replies so don't know if someone suggested this. Zigzagging calories. (or staggering, alternating etc...). This really helped me and it makes sense. I was a Biology major in college and I know that our body is always striving for balance. When we eat the same number of calories everyday our body can adjust our metabloism to fit the calories ( a good thing most of the time, but not if you are trying to lose weight) When we are constantly changing the amount of calories we eat our body gets confused and cannot adjust. Do some web searches on zig zagging or staggereing calories. There are programs that will figure the calories for you everyday. I really liked it cause I set mine up to where my higher calorie days were on the weekend. It REALLY worked for me.