Pasta, Not Bacon, Makes You Fat. But How?

Options

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    My italian grandma would slap the face of whomever wrote that article. And then she would fix me gnocchi.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance and moderation. For me just logging everything good and bad helps me to see trends. I don't care for alot of carbs only because I can eat alot of something else instead, but it's just like fast food. If I eat fast food, then most of my calories for the day are gone and I can't eat too much more, so I'd rather skip the fast food too.

We do need carbs especially for the brain functuion, so don't skip anything, just eat moderately of veggies, fruits, proteins and carbs. (well balanced)
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My italian grandma would slap the face of whomever wrote that article. And then she would fix me gnocchi.

mmmmm.....gnocchi.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You may enjoy the book Wheat Belly. It is all about... wheat! Basically wheat causes your blood sugar to spike more than any other food, including straight up table sugar. Due to the spike in blood sugar, and its eventual fall 60-120 minutes later, it makes your body go through an artificial cycle of hunger and satiety. This process is shown to increase visceral fat. It's a very good read, and I suggest it to everyone.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    While it is true that an overabundance of calories is ultimately what makes you fat, it is also true that the type and quality of calories matter. Not all calories are created equal. The body does not respond the same way to carbs as it does to fats, when it comes to insulin production (which leads to fat retention).

Some people are more insulin resistant than others, and can eat more carbs without deleterious effects. For me personally, I've found that I need to limit my carbs in order to stay at my current fitness level. You have to figure out what works for YOU.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'll read it tonight over my chicken parmesan dinner.
    Best of luck to all you low-carbers. It's not for me. Luckily counting calories has worked well.
    I have pasta twice a week or more. :wink:

AMEN!!!! Pasta works for me too :):)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I used to get all worked up with these sorts of theories. Ultimately, I think I do better studying my own behavior--some foods make me want to keep eating so that is critical information for ME. For instance: white pasta tastes better to me than whole wheat pasta, plus it's less filling. So, yes, I can eat a ton of white pasta.

My strategy now is serving myself a tiny portion of whole wheat pasta (about 1/2 cup), and loading it up with lots of roasted/grilled vegetables, marinara sauce and some vegetarian 'sausage' or 'meatballs'.

Mmmmmm! Tastes good, but doesn't set me up for crazy cravings later. We all have to find the things that work for ourselves.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny how no matter how much proof there is that carbs, especially refined ones (although all of them to a degree), not fat, cause obesity, people will still shake their heads and stomp around like a three year old who has been told they can't have a lollipop.

The research results are clear. No one is saying you can't lose weight simply by watching calories, but it is easier to while watching carbs and keeping your blood sugar levels as stable as possible. I think a key here, though, is that people with insulin resistance fare better on low carb diets no matter what. Insulin plays a huge role in fat storage and hunger. Ups and down are not optimal. Pure fat has a glycemic index of zero, meaning that it provokes absolutely no change in blood sugar levels and does not provoke insulin secretion. No changes in blood sugar (or very menial ones) mean controlled hunger and a nearly constant state in which your body is burning both body fat and dietary fat for energy instead of carbs.

It does work. It is not bunk. I eat more saturated fat (from natural sources) than I have in my entire life and my blood pressure is 100/60 on average (down from 145/90 ish), blood sugar is ideal and choleterol levels optimal. It works. It works, it works, it works.

I think, however, there are people who have adapted to higher-carb eating. While I still think low-carb eating is optimal, I think some people can get away with just calorie watching. These are usually people with no insulin resistance. To them I say I'm jealous, because I do miss cake. :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    how fat do you get if you eat pasta AND bacon together lol
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I've increased my protein lately because I'm on a strength training program, but I'm not cutting carbs. Carbohydrates are how you get your energy, so why on earth would I want to cut them?

On the other hand, the type of carb you eat can make a difference in how you burn your energy--complex carbs (in whole grains and starches) are better than simple carbs (in sugar and processed grains) because they burn more steadily over a longer period of time, rather than a quick hot burn that leaves you feeling tired.

Carbs, protein, and fat are all important to your diet. Why hedge on any of them? Just cut your calories.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny how no matter how much proof there is that carbs, especially refined ones (although all of them to a degree), not fat, cause obesity, people will still shake their heads and stomp around like a three year old who has been told they can't have a lollipop.

The research results are clear. No one is saying you can't lose weight simply by watching calories, but it is easier to while watching carbs and keeping your blood sugar levels as stable as possible. I think a key here, though, is that people with insulin resistance fare better on low carb diets no matter what. Insulin plays a huge role in fat storage and hunger. Ups and down are not optimal. Pure fat has a glycemic index of zero, meaning that it provokes absolutely no change in blood sugar levels and does not provoke insulin secretion. No changes in blood sugar (or very menial ones) mean controlled hunger and a nearly constant state in which your body is burning both body fat and dietary fat for energy instead of carbs.

It does work. It is not bunk. I eat more saturated fat (from natural sources) than I have in my entire life and my blood pressure is 100/60 on average (down from 145/90 ish), blood sugar is ideal and choleterol levels optimal. It works. It works, it works, it works.

I think, however, there are people who have adapted to higher-carb eating. While I still think low-carb eating is optimal, I think some people can get away with just calorie watching. These are usually people with no insulin resistance. To them I say I'm jealous, because I do miss cake. :)

I'm sorry lady. I just love my pasta. That's why I eat this :

Dreamfields+Penne.gif
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Please present this "proof" you claim exists.

While you're at it, you may want to look up the term Denovo lipogenesis.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would literally die if I couldn't eat carbs. I'd rather eat nothing but carbs rather than everything except carbs. Mmmmm, bread, pasta, rice and potatos, get in my belly!
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You may enjoy the book Wheat Belly. It is all about... wheat! Basically wheat causes your blood sugar to spike more than any other food, including straight up table sugar. Due to the spike in blood sugar, and its eventual fall 60-120 minutes later, it makes your body go through an artificial cycle of hunger and satiety. This process is shown to increase visceral fat. It's a very good read, and I suggest it to everyone.

^^^^ this! I am on the primal diet which means I'm eating meat, veggies, fruits and nuts only. No legumes, wheat or sugar. However I still eat between 50-150 grams of carbs a day from fruits and veggies. Wheat and sugar spike your insulin which makes you store fat. Meat, and most veggies and fruits don't make your insulin spike making it much easier to burn fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

^^^^ this! I am on the primal diet which means I'm eating meat, veggies, fruits and nuts only. No legumes, wheat or sugar. However I still eat between 50-150 grams of carbs a day from fruits and veggies. Wheat and sugar spike your insulin which makes you store fat. Meat, and most veggies and fruits don't make your insulin spike making it much easier to burn fat.

Meat, veggies and fruits don't spike your insulin?

Scroll down to Table 4

Holt SHA, et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Nov, 1997; 66: 5: 1264-1276.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Large portions make you fat. Massive calorie intake makes you fat. Broccoli can make you just as fat as bacon depending on your portions. The food doesn't matter, it's the portion size. Mind you, different foods carry more or less nutritional value for you (you'd lose weight eating 1200 cal/day of twinkies just like you would if you were eating 1200 cal/day of veggies), but when it comes down to weight, it's all about calories.

*S*
    well said
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry lady. I just love my pasta. That's why I eat this :

Dreamfields+Penne.gif
    [/quote]

LOL. I used to eat Dreamfields, but after following Jimmy Moore and seeing his blood sugar results after eating it (no good), I decided to try it out on me. Dreamfields, for me, raised my BG just two points shy of regular pasta. :(

I do eat Atkins pasta, though. It's higher in carbs (19 net per serving with 14 grams of fiber), but I do eat it when I need a fix. :)
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    im italian..cutting out carbs/pasta would be blasphemy! i have cut back and been using portion control..i still eat pasta at least twice a week, and have seen good results :) good luck to everyone!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I used to get all worked up with these sorts of theories. Ultimately, I think I do better studying my own behavior--some foods make me want to keep eating so that is critical information for ME. For instance: white pasta tastes better to me than whole wheat pasta, plus it's less filling. So, yes, I can eat a ton of white pasta.

My strategy now is serving myself a tiny portion of whole wheat pasta (about 1/2 cup), and loading it up with lots of roasted/grilled vegetables, marinara sauce and some vegetarian 'sausage' or 'meatballs'.

Mmmmmm! Tastes good, but doesn't set me up for crazy cravings later. We all have to find the things that work for ourselves.

this is SO me too!