If I only have two days a week for weights at the gym...

Should I do a full-body workout both days, or dedicate one to upper body and one to lower body? And how far apart should they be?

Until I know what I'm doing a little better and can go with the flow without getting in people's way, I've only really got two times in a week that I can dedicate time to the free weights in the gym. Friday night there is almost no one there, so I'm quite comfortable taking my time and getting it right. The second time would be mid-morning on another day, where I'll probably have to bite the bullet and hire a sitter for an hour, but the gym is nearly empty most days.

The rest of the picture: Tuesday night we have a high-intensity class with a trainer that is different every week and might include strength training, circuits, cardio, yoga.... 2-3 times a week (M/W/F) I go skating for an hour, at least twice (Th/Su) I get to the gym for a date with a treadmill (walking 3.5 MPH), and I'm hoping to start cross-country skiing on Saturdays. We also have access to the "mini-gym" that is stocked with Bosu, bars up to I think 18 lb, resistance bands, stability balls, dumb bells up to 15 lb, Spinn bikes, medicine balls, and steps - so if the cardio equipment is all in use I can go there and make up something. (Advantage - the kids can come.)

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    I would split it personally, as your muscles need two or three days rest after a heavy weights workout.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    I would move your work outs to something like Monday, Thursday and on each visit I would concentrate on large compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press, etc. I would avoid any isolation moves or spending time on strength machines.

Having three days rest between w/os would mean that you could simply run the same exercises at each visit.

Take a look at something like Madcow's 5x5 strength or Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and tweak it for 2 days per week.
  • If u have two days off of lifting than u can do full body workouts, if not than I would recommend breaking it up chest/tri/legs one dat abs back/shoulder/biceps the other day
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    I'd do full body. As a beginner you're going to recover a lot more quickly than you may think (Note: DOMS will still happen).
  • kikitlo
    kikitlo Posts: 17 Member
    I would sit down and come up with a schedule. It sounds like your interests are great, but kind of all over the place. Generally you don't want to work the same muscle 2 days in a row. Like the PP, you need to give your muscles a chance to recover.

Are you working on looking tone and lean? Full body, high reps, low weight is good for that. Twice a week would be good.

Do you work out 5-6 days a week? I don't know exactly what your schedule is like, but here's a sample one that may help you come up with a schedule you can personalize.

Mon - full body
    Tues - cardio
    Wed - rest or slow stretch yoga
    Thurs - full body
    Fri - Cardio
    Sat - bosu class
    Sun - rest or slow strech yoga

Hope this helps. It's trial and error. Once you find a routine, remember to shake it up every 90 days as your body with start to plateau.

Kiki:)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 961 Member
    I would sit down and come up with a schedule. It sounds like your interests are great, but kind of all over the place. Generally you don't want to work the same muscle 2 days in a row. Like the PP, you need to give your muscles a chance to recover.

Are you working on looking tone and lean? Full body, high reps, low weight is good for that. Twice a week would be good.

Do you work out 5-6 days a week? I don't know exactly what your schedule is like, but here's a sample one that may help you come up with a schedule you can personalize.

Mon - full body
    Tues - cardio
    Wed - rest or slow stretch yoga
    Thurs - full body
    Fri - Cardio
    Sat - bosu class
    Sun - rest or slow strech yoga

Hope this helps. It's trial and error. Once you find a routine, remember to shake it up every 90 days as your body with start to plateau.

Kiki:)

Thanks, all :)

Re the above... Yes, I'm definitely all over the place right now. LOL

I joined a competition that includes certain things like the Tuesday night class, and I have friends who want me to go to the gym with them... and then skating is thrown in because it's something I can do with my kids to get them active, too. Strength training appeals to the goals-oriented part of me because I can measure progress quite easily with that, and also because I know what the results of it can be.

Overall my goal right now is to build some lean muscle at the same time as I'm burning about 40 lbs of pure fat that I've put on in the last three years. At that point I'll re-assess... I've been 135 and out of shape, and 145 but in decent shape (and smaller)... I don't really have a goal weight per se, just a goal to be fit and not fat. :)

Our group trainer is back this week and I'm hoping to schedule a one-on-one (or two) to correct my form with some exercises... and get her to push me a little harder with her supervision so I can see what I can do without getting hurt.