An easier way to setup goal calories - eating for who you wi

Options

Replies

• jojo1371
    jojo1371 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering, how would I be able to accurately reflect the number of calories burned by strength training into my activity calories?
    I know cardio can be accounted for, but weight lifting is a little bit more complicated.
  • ItsANewMe2012
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetad
    sweetad Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So I went to the site and did all the calculations. My BMR is 1298, Activity: 656, for a total of 1954. So do I eat a minimum of 1298 and a max of 1954? or somewhere in between?? More if I'm more active? Let me know, thanks.
    Ann
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump - want to dig into the details of this... But can't now. Will read details later....
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering, how would I be able to accurately reflect the number of calories burned by strength training into my activity calories?
    I know cardio can be accounted for, but weight lifting is a little bit more complicated.

Weight lifting goes under Moderate. If you walk a few laps for warmup/cooldown, count it for time too.
    If you talk for 15 minutes between sets while standing, don't count that.
  • heybales
    Options
    So I went to the site and did all the calculations. My BMR is 1298, Activity: 656, for a total of 1954. So do I eat a minimum of 1298 and a max of 1954? or somewhere in between?? More if I'm more active? Let me know, thanks.
    Ann

You would eat at the 1954 each and every day. And if you log exercise, you would only do activity and time, calories would be 1.

If you want to confirm that activity calc's, might try here, which also references an online spreadsheet to confirm it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477753-how-do-i-do-activity-level-and-calculator
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump to finish messing with tomorrow...
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    bump
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    right think I get it im currenlty 148lb i want to be 136
    bmr cals are 1376
    activity 508
    total 1862
    soI add this to my mgp dailly cals and thenall the extra exercise | do just add as 1 cal is this right .Thank you x

Calories Burned / Week calories/week
    Workouts / Week workouts
    Minutes / Workout minutes
    Your diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1850 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1862 calories/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit -12 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 0.0 lbs/week
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thiis is great info!!!!
  • heybales
    Options
    right think I get it im currenlty 148lb i want to be 136
    bmr cals are 1376
    activity 508
    total 1862
    soI add this to my mgp dailly cals and thenall the extra exercise | do just add as 1 cal is this right .Thank you x

Calories Burned / Week calories/week
    Workouts / Week workouts
    Minutes / Workout minutes
    Your diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1850 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1862 calories/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit -12 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 0.0 lbs/week

That is correct if you used goal weight in the spreadsheet.

Don't worry about MFP's estimate of loss - they don't know you included exercise in your manually set goal.
    You can change your activity level to Lightly Active if you want that estimate to be a tad closer, though it will still be a ways off.
    It isn't used in any math since you are manually setting the goal, but when you complete your diary and it says "in 5 weeks..." it may do the math better.

And correct, logging exercise is 1 cal so it will show up.
    You can look at my diary to see how I log stuff in my Food notes. That lets me spot check that my true net is right around my BMR on avg.

Spreadsheet helps spot check that too.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thank you I used the weight from the http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html ,is this correct not see a spread sheet
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    Or just use the tool here to figure it out. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Dove954
    Dove954 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the info bumping for later.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So I am 5ft, female, age 25
    CW: 140
    GW:120

My activity level is as follows:
    Sleep: 8 hours
    I have an office job, so I am mostly sitting for 8 hours per day
    I work out 3 times per week- 45 mins weight training, 30 minutes cardio
    I watch tv for about 2 hours a night x 5 nights
    Most of my shopping/cleaning comes on the weekend, for a total of about 4 hours for 1 day.
    The other weekend day is mostly lightly activites

I hope this clarifies...? Please let me know as I am very eager to start.

Ok, that helps.

CW BMR - 1302
    GW BMR - 1211

You can enter these figures in the spreadsheet for hrs/day and put 7 days/wk to use it.
    Resting - 9.43 (tv and sleep)
    Heavy - 0.21 (cardio)
    Moderate - 0.32 (weights)
    Light - 0.86 (cleaning, shopping, and I gave the other day 2hrs of light)
    Very Light - 13.18 (the rest)

GW maintenance - 1738

So that is the setup in MFP for Net Calories Consumed. The spreadsheet says where to change things.

And spot check for a day eating 1738 with 45 min weights and 30 min cardio at current weight (213+228=441) gives 5 under current BMR.

So that doesn't seem like much, and it isn't, because you are close to goal weight, and not much daily activity.
    This method is designed to protect your potential BMR, while not feeding non-exercise daily activities, which you don't have much.

Now, it may be your cardio is more intense than that estimate, which is equal to walking between 4.5 to 5mph. If more intense, then you actually do go under a bit more. And the weight lifting was for between light and vigorous level, so it may be more towards the vigorous side with 45 min worth.

bump...
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I checked it out and it has me at 2200 calories. I've never averaged that much - if this is accurate how did I ever get overweight??
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...Just bumping so that I can read this a little later....Sounds interesting!! :)