Replies

• vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Bump interesting read. I have been eating close to 2000 calories, but this method suggests I eat close to 2200 calories. I'm nervous to increase my calories beyond 2000, but I'll give anything a try to break through this darn plateau!

Please use the spreadsheet, just to confirm those number dealing with activity.
    If you used the website calculator, all too easy to go fast and inflate times at levels for true daily avg.

Half way down this post is spreadsheet links.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

Thanks I will definitely check out the spreadsheet. I went over the activity levels several times already. I messed up at first, but I figured it out by entering 22.5 hours of sleep and then I added the 1.5 hours to the different activity levels until it reached the amount I usually burn each day. I'm doing P90X (about half way through), and I burn a large amount of calories during my workouts (I wear a HRM). Again, I think I'm going to give this a try and see what happens in another week or two. I've tried several different combinations of calories, but I haven't figured out what is working best yet.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Okay I just went and figured everything into the spreadsheet, and the result is the same as the website. According to this spreadsheet I should be eating 2181 per day. This is crazy! I was always taught to eat less and work-out until my legs feel like they're going to fall off. That's the only way to lose weight. Problem is I am very cranky on low calories and high exercise. I'm excited to see where this journey takes me. Thank you for such great information!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Okay I just went and figured everything into the spreadsheet, and the result is the same as the website. According to this spreadsheet I should be eating 2181 per day. This is crazy! I was always taught to eat less and work-out until my legs feel like they're going to fall off. That's the only way to lose weight. Problem is I am very cranky on low calories and high exercise. I'm excited to see where this journey takes me. Thank you for such great information!

Well, you do eat less. Less than you did maintaining the weight you decided to lose, and eating less than you burn in a day.

But too much less is recipe for failure as metabolism slows down.
  • mjbauer
    mjbauer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bump....maybe take a look... and will bring a pencil.
  • jcollie2928
    jcollie2928 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    haybales, Can you help me make more sense of this? At my heaviest post pregnancy weight I was 225 lbs 5 years ago. Today I am 175 lbs. I am looking to get down to 140 as a first goal.

I do 3 days cardio/elliptical and burn approx 400-500 calories.
    I do a little strength raining but not much. On the other days I do light to moderate walking for approx 30 minutes
    I work part time 20hrs week in education and take care of my family and chores with whats left.

I rest/sleep for 8-9 hours a day ( and am very grumpy without it!!!)
    I seem to be comfortable with a calorie count around 1250 but am finding it hard to shift any weight.

I sense the freedom of what you are suggesting but cannot wrap my head around it!! Can you help????
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    This sounds really interesting, I might give it a try!
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    bump to read later
  • rscott813
    rscott813 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump, so utterly confused at this point, but I'm going to try the spreadsheet in the morning when I'm not so tired. Hopefully I can figure it out.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    Bump
  • drsteph01
    drsteph01 Posts: 82
    Options
    bump
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    haybales, Can you help me make more sense of this? At my heaviest post pregnancy weight I was 225 lbs 5 years ago. Today I am 175 lbs. I am looking to get down to 140 as a first goal.

I do 3 days cardio/elliptical and burn approx 400-500 calories.
    I do a little strength raining but not much. On the other days I do light to moderate walking for approx 30 minutes
    I work part time 20hrs week in education and take care of my family and chores with whats left.

I rest/sleep for 8-9 hours a day ( and am very grumpy without it!!!)
    I seem to be comfortable with a calorie count around 1250 but am finding it hard to shift any weight.

I sense the freedom of what you are suggesting but cannot wrap my head around it!! Can you help????

The basic problem is your metabolism, your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), is what your body would expend for energy on basic functions of life, it must be taken in.
    If it doesn't get it, it will lower. That then effects how many calories you then burn on ALL other daily activity.

So eating below or at, or even slightly above, your BMR, and some good level of exercise going unfed, will use of those calories the body really does desire and need, so it will slow down to compensate.

Depending on how badly you have slowed it down, you can actually cause your daily eat to really be at maintenance level for a slowed metabolism. So little to no weight loss.

Eat too little with great exercise, you also push the chances of running out of glucose stores after several days of exercise, and now muscle will be broken down to convert to glucose - double whammy. That which burns more all day long is destroyed. Impossible to build it back up on a big bad deficit again.

So not sure if you got the spreadsheet reference on Part 2 of this topic to make figuring out avg weekly/daily activity easier, and show what settings to change. Tips there for how to look at activity levels.

This will help you protect your BMR for full burning, feed the workouts to improve (why else be doing them), and get maximum deficit from activities that don't need to be fed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGZlcmNCNmhJWFhtUGl0ZEk1RFd1c0E

Excel - http://home.everestkc.net/mbales/

Never heard it called freedom exactly, but it is easier for many not to eat back big exercise in just one day, or vary so much, ect. You eat at same amount every day, get good at planning, at the level you'll likely end up at anyway.
    When adjustments are needed, you get good at how much you leave off a day if you miss a workout. How much you add if you add a workout. Adjust some days if a big dinner/party is coming up or exercise more, ect.
    All the things that must be learned at maintenance anyway.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    bump