MORE VEGGIES! How can I get more?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rollycollysmama
    Options
    i bought a juicer and am making green juice, all kinda of veggies and nuts and fruits! SOO good. I thought it would taste like feet, seriously did NOT want to try it, but I did, and I'm gonna start a juice fast tomorrow!
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,841 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, everyone!

My new favorite is wilted spinach. Heat a tsp of olive oil in a little skillet, add a clove garlic minced, then a big handful of baby spinach. Just stir a minute til the leaves wilt and remove from heat. I then add a few grape tomatoes. Tastes like garlic!!
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    also I sware by the sneaky chef!!!
    I got a mincer and I mince veggies into everything and NO ONE in my family even knows it, and I will never tell them, Lol. the other day I made turkey chili and put in two cups of minced spinish 2 cups of minched celery 2 cups minced brocoli 3 cups of carrots 1 onion green and red pepers cup of zuccni not only did no one notice the veggies, but no one noticed the turkey either LOL
  • cbn711
    cbn711 Posts: 9
    Options
    Have you thought about green smoothies. There are a million different recipes online for them, but it is a good way to get veggies into your diet. I am not a huge fan of vegetables, but love fruit so I started making these smoothies. I use fresh oj. and a veggie fruit drink like v8 fusion. Then add pineapple, a banana, fresh or frozen berries and as much fresh baby spinach that fills the blender. Blend and drink. If you want to have it as a meal add some protein powder and you are good to go. I have made many varieties of this recipe switching up the fruits and they are all good.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I take a double approach. I look for different kinds of salads for lunch every week then I grab a few different kinds of frozen vegetables at the store. I heat them and fold them into my meals wherever I can, eggs, pasta, beans, casseroles, whatever I can.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use a cheese grater and put carrots, zucchini, cucumbers in nearly all my recipes. Sloppy joes, lasagna, soups, they are easy to disguise!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I'm sure it's probably been said already, but just in case it hasn't...

You could try adding veggies to smoothies or hiding them in other dishes.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have been trying to get more veggies in my diet:

1. Try adding a scoop of Amazing Grass green superfood powder to a fruit smoothie (adding a frozen banana and water makes it quite tasty, but frozen mixed berries are great as well). I got mine at whole foods.

2. Buy chopped frozen veggies and mix them in an omlet as well as pasta sauce (not together)

3. Juicing. Whole Foods and Pressed Juicery make mixes of cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, with pears and apples that sound gross but taste good. Or you can make your own.

4. Find a salad dressing you like that is not too unhealthy (lite ranch, extra virgin olive oil and balsalmic vinegar) and eat with a salad you can grow to enjoy at least a few times a week. Mine is romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and sometimes feta cheese, walnuts, avocado.

5. Make a dip with low-fat greek yogurt, garlic powder, dill, pepper and eat with raw broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower.

You will feel so much more full with less calories if you pack lots of veggies and some fruit into your day! Good luck!
  • pattijo63
    Options
    These are all such great ideas - thanks for asking the question!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Why dont you make quinoa? Chop up all those veggies (lots) and mix them in with cooked quinoa, add an egg, and some bread crumbs, and either lightly pan fry them or bake them in the oven

Quinoa is awesome. You can mix it in with anything...sautee it with anything...whatever you want. I make big batches every week and just leave it in my fridge as a "base" ingredient.
  • stubbornmm
    Options
    Check this out:
    http://thediva-dish.com/uncategorized/all-about-green-drinks-101/

Wow! Who know there were so many green smoothie recipes. Those look good. I'm definitely going to be trying several. :flowerforyou:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I sneak veggies in on my kids in weird ways.... when I cook taco's I put chopped squash in the meat, you never taste it. I add shredded zucchni to pasta dishes, just cut it long like noodles, I puree cauliflower with laughing cow cheese to make cheesy "potatoes", I mix broccoli and cheese with whole wheat rotini for mac'n cheese, I use butternut squash in recipes that use sweet potatoes and I add spaghetti squash to a lot of pasta dishes too. You can't taste spinach in smoothies; celery/carrots will bulk up soup recipes and you can cover ANYTHING with cheese and make it yummy ;)

You have such great ideas! I am getting hungry just reading this.