aspertain

Options
2»

Replies

• primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I recall reading that the American Pilots Association require their pilots not to consume aspartame due to it's ability to cause black outs in some individuals. Lots of great links that everyone has added :-)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I stay away from any and all artificial sweetners, I'd rather just have regular sugar in moderation.......
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I stay away from any and all artificial sweetners, I'd rather just have regular sugar in moderation.......

Your diary indicates very differently. ETA: unless you ,mean the literal sweeteners, like splenda in your coffee.
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    my opinion...that stuff isn't natural. unnatural stuff that we eat has to have some affect on weight gain, hence the rise in obesity with the influx of this type of food over the past 50 years.

I'm a little confused by that. Are you talking about aspartame or other additives? I find it hard to believe that artificial sweeteners are a major cause for obesity.

other addities in general. any man made chemicals that are in food.
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Some people say this, others say that...it's all about who you want to believe. Sure, some say it is linked to cancer, but so is nearly everything on this planet. On the other hand, many many people unknowingly have an allergy to aspartame, which usually shows signs like IBS and Restless Leg Syndrome. If you are prone to digestive problems and leg pain, try cutting the diet soda and see if you notice a difference. Personally, I stay away from the stuff since I have many food allergies and a weak stomach. I haven't had an ounce of pop in over a year, so I thought I was good, until I sadly discovered aspartame in my Lipton green tea. That was a sad day, but it forced me to find something better, like good ole water and my new addiction, La Croix.

buy tea bags and brew it at home..no aspartame there just natural tea leaves. add some natural honey if you need it to be sweetened
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I have never heard of it slowing down your metabolism. I have heard a couple of relevant (I think) things, though.

Carbonated beverages hinder your weight loss. I don't know why, but I do know that once I cut out Diet Coke and replaced it with 0 calorie iced tea, I started losing faster.

Yes, aspartame causes cancer in lab rats. But, you've got to consider portion size. You put a tiny envelope or two in your cup of coffee every day. You weigh (I assume) over 100 lbs. A lab rat is given much more than that daily, and the rat is lucky to weigh two pounds. That's like you pouring 5 lbs of Sweet N Low into your coffee each day.

I teach 5th grade and one of my students saw my iced tea can. He told me the artificial sweetener in it will kill me. I told him what I just told you about the lab rats, and then suggested that he keep dreaming!
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    Some people say this, others say that...it's all about who you want to believe. Sure, some say it is linked to cancer, but so is nearly everything on this planet. On the other hand, many many people unknowingly have an allergy to aspartame, which usually shows signs like IBS and Restless Leg Syndrome. If you are prone to digestive problems and leg pain, try cutting the diet soda and see if you notice a difference. Personally, I stay away from the stuff since I have many food allergies and a weak stomach. I haven't had an ounce of pop in over a year, so I thought I was good, until I sadly discovered aspartame in my Lipton green tea. That was a sad day, but it forced me to find something better, like good ole water and my new addiction, La Croix.

buy tea bags and brew it at home..no aspartame there just natural tea leaves. add some natural honey if you need it to be sweetened

Thanks for the advice, but it's really not that big of a deal anymore. I tried brewing it from natural tea leaves, but I didn't like the taste and I can't stand hot/warm drinks (I also have a strange aversion to ice...) Tea is dehydrating anyway, so I might as well just drink the water :)