lean cuisines: actually OK for you?

Options
does anyone regularly (or frequently) eat lean cuisines? are they actually OK for you? i know they arent high in calories but sometimes frozen meals make me wary...

Replies

• MIKE1SS
    MIKE1SS Posts: 53
    Options
    The sodium scares the crap out of me
  • blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too although I know they're pretty high in sodium which can't be good.
  • ggus64
    ggus64 Posts: 22
    Options
    I eat them once in a while....no more than 2 or 3 times a month. They are low in calories but very high in sodium and they are "processed food" which I try to avoid as much as possible. I think they are OK to have once in a while if you are in a time crunch and have no time to cook....they are certainly better than going to the local fast food place for a "gut bomb"!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them when my kids were littler and I didn't have time to make myself something healthier. I really can't handle the taste anymore though. Frozen meals taste so processed and weird to me now...

If you are just starting out and they are a good way for you to eat low cal and not feel overwhelmed by a bunch of food prep, I say use them. I would eat a piece of fruit or a salad on the side. Maybe you could slowly work your way into making healthy, homemade versions as you go along...
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy choice, lean cusine, tuna or cracker combos for lunch every day. They might be a bit high in sodium but they have ALOT less than the chow hall at work does.
  • jmaffett
    Options
    Packaged, frozen meals are excellent for portion control. The issue isn't the calories ... it's the SODIUM.

I use them occasionally, mostly for lunch when I don't have anything around the house that I can bring in to the office. Eat them regularly and then check your sodium chart here at MFP ... any prepared food is going to amp up the sodium, which is NOT good for you long-term.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat these sometimes. I wouldn't eat them everyday. If I have a lower sodium breakfast & a lower sodium dinner - it's no biggie.

Now - typically the veggies are pretty sparse. I like to cook my own & add to the meal. Example: Lean Cuisine Chicken Alfredo (YUM) ... I cook up some broccoli & throw that in there. Sometmes I'm in a rush ... and Lean Cuisines are waayy better than the alternative fast food.

These are way lower in fat that "regular" frozen meals. Just check out the stats for Stouffer's (red box) Mac'n Cheese - OMG! more than 2 times the calories as the Lean Cuisine version. The Stouffer's Mac'n Cheese "has 2 servings" even though the dish is like 2 oz. bigger - crazy!
  • jmaffett
    Options
    I eat healthy choice, lean cusine, tuna or cracker combos for lunch every day. They might be a bit high in sodium but they have ALOT less than the chow hall at work does.

It depends on how the food it prepared at your "chow hall". Not all restaurant food is high in sodium, and there are always choices where sodium levels are lower. Stay closer to "real" food (i.e., fresh salad greens, tomatoes, broccoli, apples, berries, oranges, etc.).
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    does anyone regularly (or frequently) eat lean cuisines? are they actually OK for you? i know they arent high in calories but sometimes frozen meals make me wary...

i used to eat them but the sodium is so high , i now make my own lean cuisine meals, i take the serving size of the package (example tyson all natural chicken breat 4oz) season it with mrs dash salt free seasonings and cook, then i make pasta and do the same thing cook the serving size and make my own sauce, cut up tomatoes, olives and garlic and onion and i puree part of the sauce and leave some chunky
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    lol
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I've noticed some Healthy Choice meals have around 500mg of sodium.. Really not bad. I usually add broccoli or something to up the veggie content, and I don't eat them often because most of them are heavy on the carbs and light on protein. But they work in a pinch.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Little high in sodium, but I get a lot of potassium so I don't sweat it. I eat them most every day for cost and convenience.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Way too much sodium for me.
  • I used to eat them all the time...this is why I stopped.

1) High in sodium-- doesn't really matter all that much except I don't like feeling bloated.
    2) Didn't fill me up-- 200 calories of any frozen dinner will hardly hold me up for more than an hour. 200 calories of fresh fruits, vegetables, and a lean meat will keep me full and satisfied for at least 3 hours.

Overall, as long as you maintain a caloric deficit I don't think it matters much (in terms of weight loss). However, I find that I'm hungrier when I eat them and that alone makes me too irritable :)
  • MrsWayneWV
    MrsWayneWV Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you find that frozen or pre-packaged meals like that are the best option for you, you can deal with the sodium by increasing your water intake and getting in a little walk after you eat them.

Oh, and be ready for a possible increase in weight due to water retention. 0_o

Of course, if you have hypertension or some other health issue affected by sodium I'd try to skip them.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Bit melodramatic...
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    They're probably OK, but they're high in sodium, so I try to avoid them except for maybe once a month. They're probably a better option than most fast food options, but definitely not as healthy as making your own food and reheating.

I definitely wouldn't be eating them every day, unless you balance it out the rest of your meals by eating whole foods that are homemade. I think eating too many processed food is bad for you - no matter what the calorie count - but just my opinion.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I eat them everyday..............No matter what you buy that is processed is going to high in one thing or another. Some of the ones that I eat are not that high........just eat them if you like or consult your doctor:bigsmile:
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    They're not organic.
    And as others have said, they're a processed food which means they're full of chemicals and preservatives.

Personally, I wouldn't touch frozen meals.
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Like everything else.... moderation.......