Tips on how to break the coffee caffeine habit.

Options
Well I have conquered a few of my vices in life but I am addicted to coffee. To describe this addiction I drink 2/3 or so of a pot a day, and all before 9 am. If I go a day without coffee I get an extremely painful headache and I get so sick I want to vomit, definitely not a pleasant experience. I am really thinking this is the year I break that hold. If you have been a caffeine addict and you conquered it let me know some tips on how you did it.

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Personally for me cold turkey was the only way. I did it at the weekend so I could feel sorry for myself and drank lots of water.

I kept off caffeine for over a year and then reintroduced slowly. Still love it, but happy to have decaff 50% of the time so I'm happy with the balance.
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    As a happy coffee addict, I recommend keeping this vice. There have been several studies recently that show some health benefits to daily coffee. And they all seem to find that you need to drink a LOT of coffee to have those results. I only drink 1-2 cups a day, but I see nothing wrong with drinking more. Unless, of course, you are putting a lot of calories into those cups through sugar and cream. (I do, which is why I keep it to 1-2 cups a day.)
  • smatsatt
    Options
    I too am a java junkie! I went to the doctor last month and he did not fuss about me loosing weight or smoking but the amount of coffee I consume ( around 16 cups a day!) He recommended cutting it down slowly a cup a week. He said even to mix decaf and regular to help ease out the caffeine. Its been a month and I can proudly say I am down to 5 cups a day. He recommended 3-5 cups at most. I had the headaches at first but would take two advil every morning the first week and now can say it does not bother me. Good luck its not easy being addicted to something so simple as coffee!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Never!!!!!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    ^^ this! I will never give it up. I just cut down on how much creamer I use. I refuse to give up my coffee
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    That will never, ever, ever, ever happen for me. I love it too much and it's yummy. I see no reason to deny myself something I love so much if it fits in with my goals. As long as I exercise, eat well, and keep a deficit I will always have coffee.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee?? Never!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Caffein is a powerful supplement.
    Did your doctor say you had to quit?
    Unless mine says too I wont!
    =D
  • bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    Coffee is the only vice I will not give up. 6 years ago I quit chewing tobacco after 15 years by quitting cold turkey. Coffee would be a lot harder for me to give up. I drink about a pot in the morning and then another large cup in the afternoon.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    As a happy coffee addict, I recommend keeping this vice. There have been several studies recently that show some health benefits to daily coffee. And they all seem to find that you need to drink a LOT of coffee to have those results. I only drink 1-2 cups a day, but I see nothing wrong with drinking more. Unless, of course, you are putting a lot of calories into those cups through sugar and cream. (I do, which is why I keep it to 1-2 cups a day.)

Oh the bro-science in this post... If OP if having withdrawal symptoms it means her body is addicted. I am 100% that any addiction is unhealthy. If you don't believe me ask your doctor. Please stop encouraging addictive behaviors.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Funny, how I just started to drink MORE coffee, in an effort to NOT drink as much Diet Pepsi. I only drink 1-3 cups a day, so I guess I'm not a "java junkie" yet. I do have to put a tsp of creamer in it - but can do without extra sweetener. At least it isn't as much sodium as was in my 20oz bottle of Dt. Pepsi
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to break the habit completely? do you use a lot of cream and sugar. Coffee actually has some health benefits. Maybe try to cut back a bit, make yourself drink a glass of h2o before you can drink another cup or something. I don't drink it all day but I do have my 2-3 cups each morning with a touch of truvia and some sugerfree vanilla almond milk-YUM!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I just work my coffee into my day and ALWAYS will - it might be good to cut back but there's no reason you have to give it up unless instructed by your doc.

Are you trying to quit because you want to or because you think you SHOULD?
  • angraham2
    angraham2 Posts: 128
    Options
    went cold turkey, on a long weekend, be prepared for detox, cold sweats, jitters, head aches etc. It sucked, but I feel so much better! Now I just drink caffeen free.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    My best advice is dont give it up...life would be far less interesting without it..
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ok I am a major coffee person
    I drink it all day every day

however, one of the ways to slowly get off of it is:

buy the decaff. and mix it with the real stuff
    this way you are still getting that caff.

once you have started this after the first week
    start using less coffee when making the coffee
    cut back a little at a time over the next couple of weeks
    until it gets to be just colored water

then you should be good to be off the coffee without all of the major withdrawals :)

Hope this helped.

but for me....keeping my coffee :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Oh the bro-science in this post... If OP if having withdrawal symptoms it means her body is addicted. I am 100% that any addiction is unhealthy. If you don't believe me ask your doctor. Please stop encouraging addictive behaviors.

apparently it depends on the doctor you ask. one poster above said her doctor didnt tell her to stop smoking or lose weight. so...to me...a doctor not telling his patient to stop smoking is whack
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in may.. No way i'm giving up my coffee... NEVER!!!!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Not a habit I wanna break.......love, love, love my coffee!
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, Dee! This sounds like a decision that is very important to you personally...and I applaud you for your goal! One recommended method I have read which you could try is to gradually begin mixing in some Caf-Lib (a barley based, hot drink alternative) in with your coffee. You gradually increase the amount added as you feel your body can handle it and can go to the point of totally eliminating coffee if you want! You can find information on the Caf-Lib site. Good luck to you! I was introduce to Caf-Lib a year ago and love it! Perhaps you will, too! :D