Wow...

Options
I ate chinese food this weekend and gained 5 pounds! All I had was a cup of hot and sour soup and some pork chow mein...I NEVER thought eating that would make me gain 5 pounds overnight. I have drank a ton of water the past few days but I am still up this morning :(

Replies

• EbonyHunter
    Options
    That seems unreal! What else did you eat?
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained it. Chinese food has a lot of sodium. It's prolly just water weight. Drink a ton of water and pee it out!
  • hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Honestly, keep going with the water it WILL come off again, I can almost guarantee it :)
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You don't just gain 5 pounds over night. Likely it's just some stubborn water weight. Are you due for your t.o.m.?
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I ate chinese food this weekend and gained 5 pounds! All I had was a cup of hot and sour soup and some pork chow mein...I NEVER thought eating that would make me gain 5 pounds overnight. I have drank a ton of water the past few days but I am still up this morning :(

More and likely it is weight gain in sodium and so forth. As its been preached through out the forums that 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories, so its probably not fat. Watch sodium and drink water and you will find the weight will come down. :happy:
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Honestly, keep going with the water it WILL come off again, I can almost guarantee it :)

Jinx
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Salt can really affect the scales the day after. There's no way you ate enough cals to put on 5lb so give it a few days and it will come down I bet! :smile:
  • johngcarmody
    Options
    It is likely a reaction to all those carbohydrates (rice/breaded food/noodles/etc.) which make you retain water...
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    That is impossible. There is just no way you could gain 5 lbs overnight!! Weight can fluctuate quite a bit. It could be water retention (or maybe that time of the month, if you know what I mean!). I would not stress too much. The chinese did not make you gain 5 lbs overnight!!
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Before I started MFP and this weight loss journey, I decided to eat some Chinese take-out. I felt HORRIBLE the next day & couldn't sleep that night. It is full of sodium. I gained almost 5 lbs as well. It took a few days to get all that weight off. I haven't had it in weeks and I really don't miss it. Mind you, I love Chinese food but not since it makes me feel so bad. GL!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained it. Chinese food has a lot of sodium. It's prolly just water weight. Drink a ton of water and pee it out!

my thoughts exactly! I had wonton soup last night and feel like a whale :cry:
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is high is sodium, fat and carbs...the trifecta of weight gain. Could take a few days to burn it off...water alone isn't going to solve the problem. Get moving!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You cannot deal with sodium by drinking water. Potassium is what balances out sodium. Water flushes both out. If you are low on potassium and high on sodium, and then drink a bunch of water, then you dump all of your potassium and hold on to the excess sodium which will lock in most of that water that you just drank.

Drinking water to flush out sodium is a myth.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    you are probably retaining a lot of water..
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-4 lbs every weekend - it is alwaus gone by tuesday & wed ANNNDDDD repeat! haha
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That seems unreal! What else did you eat?

We were running around that day so I had oatmeal at home before we left, taco bell fresco taco for lunch with a diet coke and then that for dinner.

Thinking about it now I do remember eating chinese food when I was pregnant with my first son, I gained 4 pounds in a week and my midwife flipped out. The next week I was back down those 4 pounds so maybe it is just taking a while to get the water weight off of me. I really hope that is the case!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Did you look to see how many calories it was? Chinese food is ridiculously high. I found that out much to my dismay. We always had Chinese of Friday night. Second, it is very high in sodium and will cause you to retain water for a while. You will probably drop back down all of a sudden if you have continued to eat in moderation.
  • salene17
    salene17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week. I honestly gain about three pounds... every time... then like clockwork three days later it passes.... I think it is the high sodium ... water retention is my guess.... I usually lose the 3 pounds and a pound or two more within a day or two....
  • TheDecision
    Options
    +1 on water weight, or inaccurate weighing.

Even if you had eaten 5lbs of food, that wouldn't turn into 5lbs of weight gain.
  • sco8462
    sco8462 Posts: 34
    Options
    That is impossible. There is just no way you could gain 5 lbs overnight!! Weight can fluctuate quite a bit. It could be water retention (or maybe that time of the month, if you know what I mean!). I would not stress too much. The chinese did not make you gain 5 lbs overnight!!

It's not impossible. I've done it myself. It's probably water weight, but the point is, I can step on a scale and go up 5 pds from one morning to the next. It's not often, and it generally has to be a lot of carbs, cheese, and/or sodium, but its doable. Water will fix it.