Women! Weight Lifting! Why so scary!

Options
124»

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing posts about women and weigh lifting and I was totally confused at first. I just assumed that everybody who works out does a combination of weight training and cardio...I've never really heard of the whole taboo of women and weight lifting. Well, let me just say, it's not scary ladies! Get to it! It's super rewarding to be able to add more weight, too. Any time I am able to up my weight on a machine or free weights I get really excited about it :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't follow. What does burning calories while lifting and immediately after have to do with burning calories at rest?

Because the muscles you make will continue to burn calories even after you stop working out.

I guess the immediate recovery period could be considered "at rest" but it's not like you're going to have that burn the entire time you are at rest.

You are incorrect. Weight lifting increases your resting calorie consumption and metabolism which proceeds to work well after the lifting has ceased. You do burn more while actively engaging in lifting, but as studies have shown time and time again, increasing your muscle mass through weight lifting also increases your resting metabolism. In short, you will burn more calories during your daily activities when your anabolic metabolism is increased and the proven way to raise your anabolic metabolism is through weight training.

Yes, I said that it causes an icrease. My point is/was, that most people overestimate the 'at rest' increase, which is actually pretty small.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy watching the women lift weights at the gym. Not because I am a perv, but I know how beneficial it is and I always know the weight lifting girls "get it". When I see a woman doing something silly I really try hard to resist the temptation to go over and help them (correct form, or tell them to do more weight, lol).

As long as I don't see someone doing bosu ball lunges with 2 lb dumbbells, I am good. Happy for them. And most importantly, I respect them for doing it because I know it can be intimidating.

If I'm doing it wrong, I would very much appreciate it if a guy came over to help me. Sometimes I think about asking but too shy. I wouldn't want the guy to think I"m hitting on him - for one thing I'm probably old enough to be your mom and I never look cute at the gym! LOL!

Its also nice to know WE (women) are not invading your space :) I've often wondered if thats how you guys feel!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    But...But...But... I'll look SO huge! If I pick up a dumbell I know i will turn into the incredible hulk :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels does not have "man arms" and no hips. Good lord, look at what society wants women to look like! Ladies, put down the Cosmo and pick up a barbell. Strength is not about bulk, it is about building confidence and helping your body be the best it can possibly be.

Let me put this in plain English: YOU WILL NOT GET BIG FROM WEIGHTLIFTING. Unless you are Olympic style, every day, protein shake weight lifting, you are not going to turn into the Terminator anytime soon. Weightlifting obliterates fat and tones your entire body. It does not turn you into a stocky bulk of muscle.

/rant.

Agreed! I would actually LIKE to have Jillian's arms...and I'm well on my way :)~
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've never thought it was scary. My problem is that I don't think it's fun. In fact, I find it to be the exact opposite of fun. I do lift some because I think it's necessary to keep my upper body as firm as I like it, but it's like taking medicine. I do it because it's good for me, not because I enjoy it. And I pretty much hate every minute of it. I wish I didn't.

This.

I've lifted with the guys in school. But honestly, it's too slow paced, and I'm happier with something like 30 minutes with Jillian and then continuing my day. With little kids and a crazy career, giving up the time required is near impossible, even if I liked it.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you to everyone for the resource suggestions - I'm pretty excited to get started. :happy:
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    We are all on a learning curve....

For me, it took 25+ years of being a cardio-gym-rat before I finally, FINALLY, F-I-N-A-L-L-Y moved onto strength-training as my REAL dedication of time, energy and resources.

Remember, we are ALL learning. Some of us "get it" much earlier on in our spin on this earth - and YAY for them.

But, some of us take a little longer to DUMP the societal myths that are pumped into our heads for years and years and YEARS. Forgive us for we don't know what we don't know.

And now YOU know...

I like this. :)

I did cardio for years. Even though strength training was required in my HS aerobics class (every other day), I didn't really take it seriously and used that time to socialize :ohwell: .
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    But...But...But... I'll look SO huge! If I pick up a dumbell I know i will turn into the incredible hulk :sad: :sad: :sad:

No you won't .. I've been lifting weights for at least... (gulp) 10 years and am not hulky at all! I love seeing new ladies working in the weight section, as long as they don't camp on on equipment... or fling around 2# dumbells. (longer than 10 but I'm not counting)

I like bodybuilding.com they have lots of videos! I also love Oxygen magazine.

My new philosophy is high weight low reps.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love lifting! I was stuck at a measly four pound loss over the course of a year, doing cardio and the machines. Started lifting pretty heavy just a few weeks ago, and I've already lost two more pounds.

I have the New Rules for Lifting Book, but I also just grabbed a guy at the gym and said "Hey, can you show me how to use this really fast?" In my experience down there over the past few weeks, guys are very helpful and respectful of a lady in the weight room. I have had to have a little help changing the attachments, etc. and they are always willing to help, no problems.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    WTG!
    Sometimes it is harder to deal with our thoughts and feelings than it is to deal with the reality.
    A big congrats on overcoming one of yours!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    im still reallllllly nervous about lifting at the gym. i do have a weight bench and such in my garage that i use 3 times a week, but im so scared to do it at the gym ;/ usually when we go late at night, its us and one or two guys over lifting and i dont want them watching me :(
    Options

No you won't .. I've been lifting weights for at least... (gulp) 10 years and am not hulky at all! I love seeing new ladies working in the weight section, as long as they don't camp on on equipment... or fling around 2# dumbells. (longer than 10 but I'm not counting)

Haha I was just kidding :] In my picture I am flexing my biceps I got from lifting xD
    I am only 20, but have been lifting about 4 years.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    haha - yea - right....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Nevermind. I misread....
    Options
    Okay maybe turning into the incredible hulk isnt so bad......

222.jpg
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Awesome Sunshine-88! I lifted a bit in college and didn't pick it back up til about 25! Keep it up when you hit 45 you will be so glad you did!