When friends post crap on Facebook...

2»

Replies

• NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    I actually have recruited several to the site when they see my results.

Some people really do want to do this right, just don't know how until they run into the right person.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    There's this one girl in particular on FB who always posts problems with her weight, awhile ago I suggested it to her.. she signed up, but didn't do anything. Just the other she asked "is there some kind of exercise I can do that doesn't make me uncomfortable?" haha, people just want the quick fix without putting any work into it.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,223 Member
    I'm commenting on this even though I do not have a facebook account.

I have suggested it to friends/family when the discussion of weight loss/exercise comes up. That being said, my advice is not taken. They'd rather subject themselves to that horrid cabbage soup diet or the "14 day cayenne pepper & lemon water cleanse".

Funny thing is our "Wellness Committee" here at work - they put out a monthly newsletter, I about died when I saw they had posted the "Cayenne Pepper" Cleanse in the newsletter a few months ago. This month the theme is Valentine's day and how terrible sugar is for you. Ai!!! When I read the newsletter all I could think was "Sugar isn't bad, it's eating a mack truck full of sugar that is bad, folks".
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    I like Starburst.
    mmm but only the pink ones
    The pink ones are made of chicken slurry.

Those are the best kind! The chicken slurry tastes like strawberry ice cream!

I love me some chicken slurrrrrry!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    I have told others about MFP who have expressed an interest in improving their health. A few of them have pursued it. I don't sweat it if they don't. I remind myself that you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink. I consider MFP the water :)
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    What's HCG? this is second time I saw this term...

HCG is the pregnancy hormone. Somehow, this diet involves taking HCG drops and eating ridiculous low amounts of calories.

Three of my co-workers have been on it.

I've always joked and asked if they did an HPT if it would come back positive ? - lol
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    It's funny because I had better success on MFP than the guy who let me know about the app in the first place! It wasn't from FB though, just a co-worker who I noticed counting calories when we did lunch (as I was eating fish and chips lol).
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Yes, I've said things like quick fixs don't work... And suggested MFP. Heck, after friends see my pictures they always want to know how I did it (most of them being the ones on the quick fix diet)... Not that I dont appreciate the positve feedback, but I've written notes upon notes and left comments upon comments telling people how I've lost my weight. It actually is getting old how many people are asking me how to lose weight- they all think they will get a quick fix answer and it's not going to happen. I get tired of saying the same things to them and just leave them something back that says 'Refer to my notes I've written'. Sorry, I'm not sorry if that seems mean, but I'm tired of writing the same stuff over and over again to be asked by the same people over and over again.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    I have found that linking my FB to here speaks volumes. They see every pound lost and every exercise completed. I have had numerous come to MFP that way. I don't say a word to anyone unless asked. I've been there; done that. Sometimes you just have to learn on your own.

I am *so* proud of my FB friends who have come over. I am excited to report every single one of them is active here. How's that for leading by example? ♥
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 266 Member
    I have recommend MFP to a couple of people, no ones signed up tho....as for friends on facebook who are into "fad" diets...I finally unsubscribed to them, cause I didn't want to hear it anymore. It was getting hard for me since I was in a slump and not losing, to read their posts about how fast it was coming off. I know I'm doing it right and in a years I will not have gained any back, so i had to get rid of the temptation.
  • And people don't like what they see in black and white!!!! A friend recommended MFP, she stopped, but I've carried on and it is full of insight, help, ideas as well as great 'before and after' photos-they DO inspire me.

I say 'Lets all be happy for what we achieve and keep on going'.
    I mean all we have to lose 'is the weight'? :ohwell:
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    I found this site because one of my fb friends suggested I have a look after I posted a status where I was upset and decided that I HAD to make a life change. Only my daughter and my friend who is also my support (and I'm hers) know what I'm up to.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    I dont talk to any of my facebook friends about MFP or me weightloss in general, They will all find out after I lose 45 more pounds and post pictures, if then, they as what i did, I will recommend MFP :)

Yep this one. If people ask I tell. But I warn them not to add me as a friend. MFP is for strangers only! :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    I have found that linking my FB to here speaks volumes. They see every pound lost and every exercise completed. I have had numerous come to MFP that way. I don't say a word to anyone unless asked. I've been there; done that. Sometimes you just have to learn on your own.

I am *so* proud of my FB friends who have come over. I am excited to report every single one of them is active here. How's that for leading by example? ♥
    You. Are. Amazing. Phenomenal weight loss!

I don't have my MFP linked to my FB because my weight loss is a very personal journey for me. I am doing it now because it was the right time for me to get serious about it, & I don't want to alienate any of my friends/family who may not be ready to do the same at this time.

However...I DO post tons of running stats & fitness/nutrition-related stuff on my profile. Improving your health through fitness & nutrition is good for everyone, regardless of whether you need to lose weight or not, but I try to stay away from weight-loss-specific posts.

I also have a couple of FB stalkers who I know want to stay up to date on my weight loss without having to talk to me about it (long, dumb story lol) & that's another reason I don't post lots of pictures or specific details of what I've lost.
  • ddawson8712
    ddawson8712 Posts: 1 Member
    Human Chorionic Growth Hormone, Its what shows up in your body when you are pregnant and it allegedly (in combination with a 500 calorie a day diet) works like magic.
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    I have so many family members that made accounts after I suggested it to them, and haven't touched them in months and months. Now I don't have much sympathy for them when they whine about being fat and not knowing what to do about it on FB.

I can totally relate! We can tell them how to be successful, what to eat, what workout work best, and how beneficial MFP is but actually doing the work that would leave to a change is totally up to them!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    I also have a couple of FB stalkers who I know want to stay up to date on my weight loss without having to talk to me about it (long, dumb story lol) & that's another reason I don't post lots of pictures or specific details of what I've lost.

Jeeze dude, I am so sorry I like stalking you I cannot help it.

As for the original question, if they ask something I will tell them. I have pointed a few people over to the site but like most of us at one point they want the quick fix, and hearing that diet and exercise is the only way it will work they ignore the information.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I don't post MFP stuff on FB, no need for old classmates and ex-coworkers to know everything I do. I do message FB friends with the information about MFP when they complain about what ever hot new diet they tried or WW. None of them have signed up, or for that matter even looked at MFP as far as I know. Their loss. One of my FB friends was already on MFP....I saw his FB picture pop up on my MFP home page (two months into it) on the lower right side that has the FB link.:smile: He doesn't post MFP stuff on FB either, so I respect his privacy and not say anything about it.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    I don't tell my friends about MFP unless they are truly seeking results. Not just in a fad diet mode. I like this site because I can be completely honest WITHOUT all the friends trying to give advice everyday that they know nothing about. *cough* my mother in law. She knows I have been working on weightloss and gives me tons of false info in her lectures.