how to get enough sodium?

Options
Hi, could anyone tell me how to get enough sodium in my diet? i only reach half the expected level at best, never had the recommended amount of iron either :/ i'v only been on this website for almost a week now, so still learning - thanks, lisa

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I look at the sodium number as a maximum not a minimum.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    oh, i'v lost a lot of hair & read that it could be the cause so trying to get it up :/ lovely profile picture by the way
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a MAX.....It is set pretty high actually, I try not to go to much over 1500
  • anabell31
    Options
    I wish my sodium levels would just stay in the green... But if you really want to up it, regular condensed soups tend to have a lot. That's what kills me, anyway.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It is generally not difficult to get sodium in your diet. You could try canned foods. That is always a good place to start. If you need iron, you could maybe try canned collard greens. I usually prefer them fresh, but there is added sodium in the canned stuff.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Use your salt shaker?
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I want to limit sodium just because I get bloated, but it seems that any pre-packaged food is just loaded. Cottage cheese has tons, for goodness sake! Smoked salmon (smoked anything, really), salted nuts, canned tuna, sprinkle a little salt on any food you prepare and you'll be over in no time!

Never heard about hair loss and low sodium before. I think in the US, low sodium has to be a rare thing just because it's loaded into so many foods.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Seriously a single tsp of salt is an entire daily value. If you sprinkle a little bit of salt on your foods, you are getting more sodium than you think :)

Drink gatorades as well. They are hydrating and help get more sodium.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    haha I'm the opposite... I ALWAYS go over on my sodium intake even when I'm WAY under on calories... Canned soup is sure to do the trick if you are really low... but the recommended amount of sodium is more of a maximum instead of a minimum here. Cheese also has a lot of sodium (and fat :( ) but it tasted delicious if you want a tasty high sodium treat... Or spiced nuts... or put seasoning blends on your food... or just go ahead and use plain salt to salt your food.

Iron... Red meat has the most... since I don't like red meat often I generally have to take a vitamin for my iron
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Use your salt shaker?

That was hilarious. I about spit my pop out while reading it.
  • seanian
    seanian Posts: 103
    Options
    Pickels, 0 calories and about 400 mg of sodium per spear
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I would love to see your diary bc I have the opposite! WAY too much sodium!...and I agree it is a Maximum and if you are way under than it is an accomplishment!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Pickels, 0 calories and about 400 mg of sodium per spear

Oooh! Great suggestion! Love some pickles but I won't touch them because of the sodium!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Unless you have low blood pressure, you want less not more sodium.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    oh, i'v lost a lot of hair & read that it could be the cause so trying to get it up :/ lovely profile picture by the way

It's possible, but other things could cause this. Are you eating enough fat? Too little fat can also cause this. If you want more sodium, then just salt your food. But if you are getting half the recommended amount you are getting enough unless you have a problem absorbing it.
  • arlyn70
    Options
    i dont know if my answer will help, but i need and dont need sodium.. and i ask my doctor what to do and told me to buy something name: inner mountain HIMALAYAN rock salt

taste as salt but isnt salt..

for 1/4 have 300mg of salt..

i dont know what it is.. but i flushing a lot of water since i start eating with
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi, could anyone tell me how to get enough sodium in my diet? i only reach half the expected level at best, never had the recommended amount of iron either :/ i'v only been on this website for almost a week now, so still learning - thanks, lisa

I actually get very, very little sodium and was concerned about it, so I did some research. Turns out that while the body can handle more (and if you're not hypertensive, the worst side effect of too much is water retention), the body only actually NEEDS 500mg a day. If you're getting half of 2,500mg, then you're fine.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are not getting enough? It is really hard to avoid sodium. I would check with your doctor and see if there is a medical issue that your body requires more sodium and that there isn't another reason your hair is falling out. I know that can happen if you are a vegetarian and are missing out on a lot of nutrients.

I highly recommend you get professional help with this. It could be something medical, or just seeing a nutritionist.

Best wishes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Where in the world did you read that? If you're losing hair, look at protein, vitamins and fat, not sodium.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/499326-low-potassium-hair-loss/

Sodium/Potassium Balance
    You also must maintain a balance of sodium and potassium in your body. High levels of sodium can damage the hair follicles and prevent the necessary nutrients from reaching your hair. In order to improve symptoms of sodium overload, you should eat foods rich in potassium to balance the sodium levels in your body.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/499326-low-potassium-hair-loss/#ixzz1l8r1nI7u
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Himalayan rock salt tastes like salt becuase it is salt