Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Ack. Sorry for the blank quote. But in response, I'm fairly certain I never tried to define your normal or anyone else's. And that's a big part of the point. My normal consists of the foods I like and am willing to eat regularly - for whatever reason. And by controlling hoe much and when I eat those things, I am losing weight and getting healthier. Because, yes, simply losing weight DOES make a person healthier. So eat your normal. But make it fit.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    The "organic rainbow lettuce brigade." I love it! And I gotta say, your post made me feel better. This is my second account with My Fitness Pal. I abandoned the first one because I I had "friended" people and and although most of the friends were nice people, a small number of them made me feel more judged and less supported. (This was exacerbated by my being an Aspie, and not really being good at relationships anyway...) So, I started a new account and vowed not to "friend" anyone, and I haven't. Before MFP, I managed to lose 97 pounds, so I am NOT a failure, but because my health conditions allow me to do only fairly mild exercise and circumstances are such that I must depend on food that is more "pre-prepared" than most of the people here would advocate...well, you know.

And yes, I heartily agree. Portion control is WAY more important to weight loss than WHAT you eat. And losing weight is healthier than not. And eating healthier foods is better than not, but if it's a choice between all things staying the same, or losing weight and not always eating healthy, it is still better to lose weight and keep eating "normal" food. In addition to the ORLP, I also worry about the "I find it hard to eat all 1200 of my calories" crowd. You can lose weight and eat A LOT more than 1200 calories. Most of us can lose weight eating 2000 calories, and a lot of men can eat a lot more than that and still lose weight. For me, if the changes I make are ones I can't sustain, then I'm better off not trying.

So, thanks. I fully agree.
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Eat, drink and be merry... for tomorrow you could get run over by a cement truck while jogging on your way to Whole Foods to pick up your soy milk.

^^^ LOVE THIS! Thanks for the chuckle this morning! I needed that!

Thanks... I'm thinking I should make this my profile page quote. :laugh:

Methinks you need to put it on a T-shirt and send me one! LOL! :laugh:
  • FitLink
    Options
    I eat very normal food.

Fats
    Farm Raised Meats, poultry and raw dairy
    Free Range Eggs
    Vegetables and Fruits from Coop and CSA membership
    Raw nuts and seeds

I personally find packaged, boxed, frozen and ready to eat food as NOT real food. There is nothing "normal" about it.

Feel any way you like about it. Your diet is not an option for me and it seems I'm not the only person who is tired of being told our meals are not up to your (the ORLP) standards.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had to respond to this!! OMG! I always thought that I would have to "do without" the food I loved because I was trying to lose weight!! LOL Then I could never figure out why my "dieting" didn't last and I couldn't lose weight and I'd get discouraged until finally the light bulb went on and stayed on instead of just flickering......I CAN EAT WHAT I WANT IN MODERATION!! WOW an amazing concept to me who so loves to go 110% with everything in my life! That is why I love this site so much...I can punch in a food before I even put it near my mouth and can know that if I want those Hershey Kisses I can have 3 instead of 6 and not kill my count for the day and not feel like I'm depriving myself of anything. Now really some foods are just BAD BAD BAD and I have gotten better at avoiding them but for others moderation is the key and I feel so much better about "dieting" than I ever have! Good Luck to everyone on their journey!!!
  • FitLink
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

But you see, MOST people's goal ISN'T "visible abs, athletic-performance-related, or a fitness competition," it's just to lose some weight to be a bit healthier. And losing weight is still healthier than not, regardless of diet. What the OP is addressing is the constant JUDGEMENT of the fitness-obsessed do of those who are making smaller, more incremental changes.

And you are wrong. Food isn't JUST nourishment. Food is, and is supposed to be, much more. You are SUPPOSED to enjoy eating, and that's NOT secondary to providing energy.
  • FitLink
    Options
    LOVE THIS! I have lost 60 lbs since April..The only thing I have changed in regards to my eating habits is I eat 1 serving instead of the entire dish! I will sometimes eat lean cuisine meals, smart ones, things like that too. While I know it isn't the BEST choice...it works for me!

I am a firm believer that it IS all about portion control! (of course, I have added excersise too) but in the beginning, just cutting down on my calorie intake, I was dropping weight :)

Now, I am going to go enjoy my snack for the night...crackers and some cheese!

Losing weight does not equate to good health. Just sayin'.

All things being equal, losing weight and eating what you like is healthier than NOT losing weight and eating what you like. SO losing weight DOES equate to better health, regardless of diet. Just sayin'.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Losing weight does not equate to good health. Just sayin'.

All things being equal, losing weight and eating what you like is healthier than NOT losing weight and eating what you like. SO losing weight DOES equate to better health, regardless of diet. Just sayin'.

Both of these statements are true, of course (and quite different since good and better are not the same thing). It's possible to be thin and unhealthy, as the top post says. If you are overweight, losing weight will likely improve your health, as the second post says.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    What’s normal?

Of course you are right that if you want to lose weight, you need to restrict calories, not necessarily change the foods that you are eating. Within the parameters described – going from obese to a healthy weight – this is going to have a huge impact on improving your health. For others who are closer to healthy weight, or who are already healthy weight and have other goals, then just portion control is not going to have the same impact. Remember, it is still possible to suffer heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc. at a healthy weight. Your odds are better, but if you want to lower them further, or to deal with foods that your body doesn’t handle well, or to get a better array of nutrients, you’re going to have to look at the nutritional profile and ingredients of the food you are eating, not just the calories.

I don’t have a food addiction or eating disorder, so I’m not going to foray into “if I eat a little bit of ___________ it will ruin my diet.”

I enjoy making all kinds of delicious foods. Not rabbit food, though I enjoy a nice salad, but chilli, curry, stir fry, soup, stew, and yes, bread, pancakes, smoothies, and treats. I like to cook, to try new recipes, and to adapt old recipes to make them healthier or safe for my family.

The fact is, I’d rather eat more. So if my choice is between a tiny portion of restaurant fries or a much larger portion of baked sweet potato and white potato fries at home, I’d much rather eat the bigger portion. (Chances are the restaurant fries are probably gluten contaminated too, so they might make me sick.) If it’s a Subway salad with mayo and sweet onion sauce or a Subway salad taken home and dressed with some chickpeas, seeds, and a homemade or lower calorie salad dressing, and some carrots and celery on the side and maybe a dark piece of chocolate to finish, I’m taking it home. And on, and on. I like to eat good sized portions.

Do I still eat treats? Chocolates? Baking? Burgers? Pizza? I do. Because of allergies, I can’t get takeout pizza, but that doesn’t mean I have to go pizza-less! All of those old favourites are still a part of my diet, but they’ve been modified. It is possible to make those “big” changes to your diet, to eating whole, non-processed, healthy foods, without giving up those old dishes. Just find a way to modify them. By still allowing yourself treats, you can avoid “falling off the wagon”. It is possible to totally remake your diet and still enjoy the food that you are eating, and not feel deprived of “normal” food. I’ve had to make over my diet many times, eliminating those fast foods and packaged foods, and yet still greatly enjoying eating and not feeling the need to “cheat” and go back and eat those foods that will just make me sick. I haven’t cut foods out in order to lose weight; I have cut particular ingredients out in order to be healthy.

And, with apologies to fellow ORLB’s, simply changing to whole foods does not solve weight problems either. You still need to combine it with a calorie deficit to lose weight. I swear -- I can overeat no matter what my dietary restrictions are. I love food!

I’m not going to tell you what to eat. Unless you ask me why you might be having XYZ symptoms. Then I might throw some suggestions your way.

Pam (vegetarian, grain-free, dairy-free, multiple allergies – currently eating ratatouille, chickpeas, veggies, and lentil vegetable curry. And tomorrow I’m going to the Indian buffet.)
  • MrsD4ever
    Options
    I don't care to judge what anyone else decides to eat....whatever works for you whether it's all natural fresh OR all processed. My own opinion......I love quite a bit of "healthy" foods, but I do eat processed stuff too. It's all about moderation for me. I don't want to deprive myself of stuff to the point that I crave it & give into a binge out on it. I eat things I like, I'm just much more aware now of how much I'm eating of things.

I think I'm pretty good about eating healthier, but I will admit there are processed things/desserts/etc... I will most likely never give up......but I do watch how much of it I eat & even at times find healthier versions/ways to cook/make them.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    i totally agree. i'm SO sick of the "abs are made in the kitchen" people.

that's my most hated saying on this entire site.

Why? it's true! You make food in the kitchen. Put less of said food in your mouth and sooner or later you'll have yourself some abs!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I got me some abs, they are under a 3 inch layer of fat but i'm pretty sure I have some :tongue:
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    And calling healthy organic products ''rabbit food'' is quite extremist IMO.

umm ok not sure if that WAS directed at me lol, but it's not my term of choice, which is why I put it in quotes, it's just what everyone else is using as a blanket term for healthy food.
    Oh wow. You people are rediculously sensitive. Rabbits eat vegetables. I've never had a rabbit sniff the lettuce he was getting and refusing it if it wasn't organic. So just for all of you hyper sensitive people out there RABBIT FOOD=VEGGIES not "healthy organic products"
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Wasn't it supposed to provoke a reaction from the rabbit food eaters?

My rabbits ate fruits and veggies, but not tofu or beans or almond milk or anything like that. I eat so much more than just rabbit food!

And I don't really like hay or pellets . . . maybe I just never found the right recipe.

Pam

Oh wow. You people are rediculously sensitive. Rabbits eat vegetables. I've never had a rabbit sniff the lettuce he was getting and refusing it if it wasn't organic. So just for all of you hyper sensitive people out there RABBIT FOOD=VEGGIES not "healthy organic products"
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I'm fairly certain I've never heard 'rabbit food' used as anything other than to describe a high-veggie diet. it isn't a derogatory term ... it's just an umbrella term.

if it helps you feel better, call my diet bear food. I eat veggies, fruit and meats. and, if you throw a doughnut at me from time to time, I'll probably eat that, too. I do draw the line at rummaging through Dumpsters, though. unless, of course, what I'm looking for is right there on top.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    LOL. I like your bear food diet. For what it's worth, yes, people with plant based diets often have their diets belittled with the term "rabbit food". It is not intended to mean that you eat a wide variety of tasty plant-based foods, but rather that all you eat is lettuce and carrots. How boring and gross. It is said in that disgusted "not fit for human consumption" tone of voice, with rolled eyes and a sneer. Like how could anyone ever choose to eat such a thing? It is almost always meant in a derogatory way; though occasionally it is said with just the eye rolling and no sneer, meant to be "all in fun" and less offensive.

I hear it used most often on male vegetarians, 'cause of course men are supposed to eat big steaks and burgers, not . . . rabbit food. But I still get it quite a bit as a woman too. I always just smile and nod and dig in and enjoy my meal.

Pam
    I'm fairly certain I've never heard 'rabbit food' used as anything other than to describe a high-veggie diet. it isn't a derogatory term ... it's just an umbrella term.

if it helps you feel better, call my diet bear food. I eat veggies, fruit and meats. and, if you throw a doughnut at me from time to time, I'll probably eat that, too. I do draw the line at rummaging through Dumpsters, though. unless, of course, what I'm looking for is right there on top.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use "rabbit food" as a synonym for vegetarian eating. I use it to describe the timid nibbling on very low calorie foods like carrots and celery out of fear of a calorie.
  • AnnaCVeach
    AnnaCVeach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love this post!!! I love not so healthy foods as well as some healthy foods. I do my best to eat healthy breakfast (Special K bar) and a salad for lunch. But dinner.....that's my "me" time meal. I work out hard at the gym so that I can have some not as healthy for you foods for dinner. I've been logged on since right before the New Year and I've lost 11 pounds thus far. Obviously something is working.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    The anecdote about your grandmother is interesting. But, I would really like to see some actual peer-reviewed science that backs up your claim that 'cancer and disease is based more on your genetics.' Many reports suggest that lifestyle has a great deal to do with the expression of certain genetic predispositions.
    My family history doesn't have anyone that's suffered from cancer. And while lifestyle can lead to higher risk, genes do help to either accelerate the risk or put the brakes on risk. Can cancer be attained through things like asbestos, smoking, and high sun exposure? Sure. But from person to person, their genes will ultimately dictate susceptibility. For example, people with fair skin have a much much higher chance for melanoma compared to those with darker skin color.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/GeneticsandCancer/heredity-and-cancer

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    real-life example time.

we randomly get sheet cakes here at the office. and the conference room where they live until eaten has a wall of windows probably seven feet from my desk. we got one today, and I stared at it for a few hours staring back at me.

first thought was just to battle and avoid and be proud of doing so. but, dang it, I love sheet cake! and I would have been proud yet bummed I didn't get a taste. so now I'm proud that instead of having what would be my normal chunk of 500 or so calories of cakey goodness, I had essentially a sliver. right about 100 calories -- which I plugged in as 120, just to give it some room to be sure. and, yeah, I'd like a bigger piece. but I'm not going back in there now to get more, I satisfied that desire to have cake and I got out for next to no calories. I'll still be under by the end of the night, burn off 400-plus on the elliptical after shift and have room for a post-workout snack when I get home.

winning!