Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options
tsh0ck
tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
weight loss = a healthier me;
therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.

Replies

• addy_rodriguez
    addy_rodriguez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
    therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.

the organic rainbow lettuce brigade!!! ROTFL!
    but yes, its hard enough to change ones habits
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    well said...now i'm now advocate for the "Twinkie Diet" or "Taco Bell Diet" but these foods CAN and SHOULD be incorporated into your diet if you like them soooo much that deprivation is going to cause you to give up altogether.

In time perhaps you'll not want them as much BUT on the off chance that you do want it then eat it, log it, and move on. (don't forget to enjoy it). Make those "treats" less frequent and you will see progress!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've been eating normal food all year. Lost 43 pounds doing it. Portions are KEY!
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Thank you brother!
  • mandalin75
    Options
    Great post! I agree with you and like what you said and how you said it! Way to go on your weight loss as well.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well said, sir!!

:drinker:
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Agreed and well said!!! :drinker:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail right on the head. Get the calories under control, treat yourself occasionally, work in as many healthy foods as you can. Seriously, I don't want to eat ANYTHING I don't like. I like salads, but not morning, noon and night. I like some fruits, I like some veggies (asparagus on the grill tonight!). So I mix all that in with the foods I like that are maybe a little less healthy to make a healthy mix. That's the secret to long term success. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • MsTaurus30
    Options
    I agree 100%
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Amen
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I too believe you can eat "normal" food as long as you control it. I had chinese for lunch today, yes I know it's really high in sodium and i will have to up my water intake, but you know what I stayed under my calorie goal because I worked out and had a salad and piece of fish for dinner. If I deny myself what I want, then I wind up binging later. Oh and a coworker and myself split a lunch portion of the chinese food as well, where normally I would have eaten the whole thing myself.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! If I had to eat all healthy stuff ALL the time, I would have quit long ago.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Dead on!!! So True!!!
  • HelloRevvie
    Options
    I love this post. To me, a treat is a treat. If I decide to have a sweet treat that's a little higher in calories then I'm going to plan for it and I'm going to work for it. I haven't been on this site long but in 10 days I lost 2 pounds and you know what? I've been out to eat, and I've been to Starbucks, and I've had one or two sweet treats. It IS possible to eat 'normal' food and lose weight :) With careful planning and attention to your portions, you can always fit in a little something that you love to eat.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Lol to this! Love this thread. Funny and true! Well said ;) Everything in moderation. You have to have treats sometime in life.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i totally agree. i'm SO sick of the "abs are made in the kitchen" people.

that's my most hated saying on this entire site.
  • jpaulino2
    jpaulino2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. You should still enjoy your food if it's not in excess.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely well stated.. Any sudden changes in what and how you eat may throw you into (OR back into) YoYo dieting. It happened to me every time. The main key to my success was portion control and exercise. Maybe not the healthiest diet, but as I continued to participate with MFP I have learned and been pretty successful at eating a better diet. But now, that said, I will give up meat and pie only when I die. (dances happily into the sunset).