Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    So true. One of the things I love about this site is the recipe feature, so I can eat all my standbys. And, guess what? They aren't all that bad after all even with all the butter and cheese.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I think I love the OP! Best thing I've EVER read on here. :drinker:
  • j3nn14er
    Options
    yay! good to know that the pizza I just ate some of for dinner isn't going to make me ugly =D
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I freaking love this post because A.) It's hilarious... and 2.) it has been my mantra for 2-1/2 years now. I eat "NORMAL" food and over the last 2-1/2 years I've lost me nearly 240 pounds. If that isn't a success story to put in your book of a calorie is a calorie, I don't know what is.

I don't like tofu and weird foods... but I've learned to make normal foods work for me. It's all about keeping track of your calories and moving. PERIOD... END OF STORY!
  • KMay1221
    Options
    =) Well said! Moderation is key.
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm hoping this is a permanent lifestyle change...and I don't plan to quit cold turkey the foods (and drinks) that I love. So far, making smarter choices (like oatmeal instead of pop tarts for breakfast) and controlling portions is working. I've lost 40lbs since Sep 1. My wife has lost 30lbs since Dec 1. We're not done yet but we've got a good start. We've found creative, healthier way to enjoy 'normal' foods like baked potatoes, oven roasted red potatoes and meat, yes, even red meat. As you said, you can enjoy treats, but you have to put the work in to justify it (or pay for it). I will agree that I am now much more aware of what is in the food I'm eating. We try to stay away from 'ready to eat' meals and count on left overs for lunches so we already know the calorie count for tomorrow and the next day. What I have learned though is that "low calorie" stuff like diet soda, etc. can still hinder weight loss because of the impact on your blood sugar and insulin levels. I'm not an expert so I recommend researching it for yourself. Bottom line: do your best to make smarter choices, be accountable to yourself and put in your gym time. It works.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat very normal food.

Fats
    Farm Raised Meats, poultry and raw dairy
    Free Range Eggs
    Vegetables and Fruits from Coop and CSA membership
    Raw nuts and seeds

I personally find packaged, boxed, frozen and ready to eat food as NOT real food. There is nothing "normal" about it.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!!! But it should be in moderation. Moderation is Key!!
  • rosepetals_03
    rosepetals_03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is perfect!!! So many people just joining this site need to read this and believe it! I started out at 190 and am now down to 125 - by working out (NOT 4 hours a day like some people think they need to),portion control and making healthier food choices. I still eat pizza, pasta, chocolate (my weakness :wink: ) and other "junk" food...but I've learned to not eat enormous portions and instead of half a plate of mac and cheese I only eat 1/2 of an actual serving size then fill in the rest with veggies. I've had tons of people ask me how I did it and 'what kind of diet are you on'. LOL Of course I smile and say I'm not on a diet! hahaha I wouldn't last.... Diets mean you are not 'allowed' to eat certain types of food and my thought is...if I want it I'll eat it! That's why those commericals about the gum that tastes like desserts makes me laugh....I'm sorry, but if I want a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream I highly doubt a piece of gum that tastes like ice cream will do! :laugh:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Amen and Cheers!
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great post!! 100% agreed! :happy:
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've definitely added more healthy options to my diet but I still eat whatever I want and stay within my calories and if I don't I make up for it the day after :-) great post!
  • janetsnakehole
    janetsnakehole Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love this post! My friend tried to change everything at once. It didn't work out. I've made gradual changes and now my tastes are changing. I'm liking the healthier options, but I still treat myself every so often.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear. Thank you!
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    Excellent post! If you can take the word "diet" out of your vocabulary and just say that it is a" life change", you will be successful. When I was on weight watchers my instructor always saved herself a day that she could splurge on a donut or two. You can't deprive yourself of the foods you like, you will just crave them later. Eat what you like. The key, as he said, is portion control and exercise. Thank you for your rant. Well Done!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I do believe that the OP is my new hero... :flowerforyou:
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Well. Said.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Indeed.

Me, I prefer the beer and pizza diet. As long as it's 'clean' beer and pizza ;)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! If you can take the word "diet" out of your vocabulary and just say that it is a" life change", you will be successful. When I was on weight watchers my instructor always saved herself a day that she could splurge on a donut or two. You can't deprive yourself of the foods you like, you will just crave them later. Eat what you like. The key, as he said, is portion control and exercise. Thank you for your rant. Well Done!

However, if you take the time to rid yourself of the cravings, then you don't miss that crap and no longer want it.

I prefer to live that way.
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Exactly!!!