Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• rml1205
    Options
    We at The Organic Rainbow Lettuce Brigade are outraged by this post, and have sent our brussels sprout wielding nutrition fairies to execute a hit on tsh0ck. This insult can not stand, do not pay attention to this propaganda.

:laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS! I have lost 60 lbs since April..The only thing I have changed in regards to my eating habits is I eat 1 serving instead of the entire dish! I will sometimes eat lean cuisine meals, smart ones, things like that too. While I know it isn't the BEST choice...it works for me!

I am a firm believer that it IS all about portion control! (of course, I have added excersise too) but in the beginning, just cutting down on my calorie intake, I was dropping weight :)

Now, I am going to go enjoy my snack for the night...crackers and some cheese!

Losing weight does not equate to good health. Just sayin'.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

But you assume that we all want ripped abs and be in competition form. I just want a reasonably healthy diet that includes some of the traditional foods I love IN MODERATION. I have gone from eating fast food a couple times a day to once every couple of weeks. I have a sweet treat every evening for my snack but its a 100 calorie cookie pack or sugar free pudding instead of a king size pkg (or 2) of peanut butter cups. I go to the gym for a couple hours a day (and work hard) vs going, well, never. I may not have the cleanest, healthiest diet and certainly not going to run an ironman anytime soon but I've lost a lot of weight, I'm happy, and I do not live in fear of analyzing every morsel that goes in my mouth for nutritional content.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS! I have lost 60 lbs since April..The only thing I have changed in regards to my eating habits is I eat 1 serving instead of the entire dish! I will sometimes eat lean cuisine meals, smart ones, things like that too. While I know it isn't the BEST choice...it works for me!

I am a firm believer that it IS all about portion control! (of course, I have added excersise too) but in the beginning, just cutting down on my calorie intake, I was dropping weight :)

As much as I would LOVE to look like you..dropping from almost 300 where I am now..I'll take it in baby steps. THanks for your unsolicited input though!..oh..Just sayin...
  • Mama2CnR
    Mama2CnR Posts: 44 Member
    Options

So losing enough weight to go from the obesity range on the bmi to a healthy one does not equate to good health?? Hmm, that logic seems a little flawed.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    This may have been asked, but...what's an OLRB?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A real eye opening experience for me was a run I did with a local running group. The group was pretty much all athletes, not the mixture of runners and noobs you see at most races. The post race spread was amazing... instead of the typical water and bananas that most races put out, there was pizza, sandwiches, brownies, donuts, candy bars, soda and beer. And these athletes were all nomming down on the grub with abandon.

I'm a 39 year old artist. There's absolutely no reason for me to be ripped or have visible abs. I am enjoying the hell out of beating my own PRs when I run, and picking up medals in races. And I love how I look in a bikini. It rocks. But it rocks even more knowing I can do that and still have pizza every week.
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

But you assume that we all want ripped abs and be in competition form. I just want a reasonably healthy diet that includes some of the traditional foods I love IN MODERATION. I have gone from eating fast food a couple times a day to once every couple of weeks. I have a sweet treat every evening for my snack but its a 100 calorie cookie pack or sugar free pudding instead of a king size pkg (or 2) of peanut butter cups. I go to the gym for a couple hours a day (and work hard) vs going, well, never. I may not have the cleanest, healthiest diet and certainly not going to run an ironman anytime soon but I've lost a lot of weight, I'm happy, and I do not live in fear of analyzing every morsel that goes in my mouth for nutritional content.

^^ This ^^ I love this whole thread, and I'm honestly surprised at how few people "rained on the parade". I was starting to get the impression that most of the people on here were members of the ORLB. It looks like I'm not the only one who just wants to be healthier than I was, without completely eliminating everything that I enjoy. I don't have to be perfect. For those of you that are - good for you. I prefer to be a healthier, thinner, fitter version of my imperfect self. :happy:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Amen, makes me crazy all these people saying no carbs, no fat, no cookies, no ice cream, oh whatever, the nos are endless. Totally baloney, a well balanced mix of food including your treat of choice, (yeah I have chips and cookies) will keep you happy and losing. As they say, calories in calories out but you want to make as many of them are good calories as you can. I'm not going to support over the long run an egg mcmuffin for breakfast, a quarter pounder for lunch, and Outback for dinner. Once in awhile sure, a steady diet, well you won't get healthy that way, lol.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner

Good thing those aren't my goals! :laugh:
  • beckyhope
    beckyhope Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    YESS!! I really can't stand people who put certain foods on the "bad" list. I don't eat every favorite food there is every day, but no food is off limits. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who feels this way!
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This may have been asked, but...what's an OLRB?

ORLB = Organic Rainbow Lettuce Brigade (from the original post)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

As much as I would LOVE to look like you..dropping from almost 300 where I am now..I'll take it in baby steps. THanks for your unsolicited input though!..oh..Just sayin...
    unsolicited input ?

You posted on a forum, a forum by its nature is about soliciting input.
  • elizarm
    Options
    i totally agree. i'm SO sick of the "abs are made in the kitchen" people.

that's my most hated saying on this entire site.

LOL!! I totally agree! I hate that too!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Amen, makes me crazy all these people saying no carbs, no fat, no cookies, no ice cream, oh whatever, the nos are endless. Totally baloney, a well balanced mix of food including your treat of choice, (yeah I have chips and cookies) will keep you happy and losing. As they say, calories in calories out but you want to make as many of them are good calories as you can. I'm not going to support over the long run an egg mcmuffin for breakfast, a quarter pounder for lunch, and Outback for dinner. Once in awhile sure, a steady diet, well you won't get healthy that way, lol.

I think this works well if you aren't the sort of person who eats one cookie and it triggers an all-out binge. Personally, there are some foods I can't stop eating, so it's better to avoid them. That might be the reason some people are so adamant about all the 'no-nos.'
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Here's the truth.

Some people can eat garbage food (we can call that "normal" food if you wish, for in our culture it is one and the same) and still look good or do little to maintain a good body.

Other people cannot eat garbage food or else they blow up into human bovines.

If you are fortunate enough to get to enjoy "normal" food and not swell at the waist, get on your knees and thank the 6.5 oz baby jesus now for your genetics. Eat your normal food and work out.

If you are not fortunate enough to do so, then to continue to do so on a regular basis (by regular I mean more than say once a week) means that you will have a hell of a time losing weight and unswelling.

So if you are here to lose weight, get in shape, look good by western european/north american standards, and "normal" food makes you swell, eating it anyway kind of defeats your purpose.

You can feel free to disagree. I followed the road of "i just have to keep my calories less than X" for years and it never worked because of the food I was eating regardless of my caloric intake. Your body latches on to certain types of foods and hordes it as fat easier, esp depending on your genetic structure.

Once I started eating cleaner with a once a week meal of whatever I wanted, the weight fell off. Granted, I am not the world, but if you are having issues losing weight and you just set down a coke can on your desk while reading this, you may have the key to your problems in your grasp.

Good luck.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

So losing enough weight to go from the obesity range on the bmi to a healthy one does not equate to good health?? Hmm, that logic seems a little flawed.

Sure, some health markers will improve. However, eating preservativs, excess sugar, HFCS, grains (especially wheat) all cause damage inside the body that will eventually show up sooner or later.
  • bradl78
    Options
    totally agree!! You have to reward yourself here or there or else you will fall of the bus and be right back where you were at.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I know men on here that eat ice cream every single night and look incredible.

yep, i have one guy on my friends list that constantly is eating cheeseburgers and fried chicken and has abs to die for
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP, for this post. LOVE it.

What I can't stand is for people to preach to me about how what I'm eating (to lose weight) is unhealthy, and working against me. Especially when it's worked perfectly fine for me. To each his own. If it works better for you to eat more natural foods, more power to ya. It works for me to eat normal and still drop weight.