Food Trucks - NOT Roach Coaches

Options
momtozmc
momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
Just wondering if food trucks are as poplar elsewhere as they are here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

We have a ton of "gourmet" type food trucks - everything you could possible think of -

Curry Up Now
Cupcakes
Adobo Hobo
Chairman Bao Bun Truck
El Porteno Empanadas
and I tried today Pollo Fritto!!!!! Sooo yummy!!!!!

Once a month they all convene in one parking lot and it is food heaven!

They twitter where they will be for the day... let me tell you it's not your typical roach coach with ham and egg sandwiches...

Pollo Fritto - bakes their bread and their chocolate chip cookies on the truck. The chicken is battered and fried when ordered and the jalepeno cilantro vinegarette coleslaw is super fresh.

Is this just a Bay thing? or is it happening all over????

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Never heard of anything like that...
  • shayjgordon
    shayjgordon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I lived in North Vancouver, I worked in an automall and we had the "Gut Truck" that came to every dealership twice a day. You could create a tab and pay on payday....it got really dangerous!!
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We only have a couple here...there is one called Midwest Tacos that twitters their locations each day...I'm surprised there isn't more with the Super Bowl going on in town right now
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Pretty popular here in Southern Cali too. I actually went to a lunch truck festival last weekend at Santa Anita Park/Racetrack.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I lived in San Francisco for 25 years, and I've never heard of these types of food trucks there.

I live in Philadelphia now, and food trucks like that are really common place. Maybe they popped up in SF after I left.
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Best name I've seen for a food truck - Truck Norris
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we have some in denver. i was at yoga the other day and they had one for evol. burritos and another for crepe crusades. also the cupcake bus, steuben's, paris on the platte, strEAT chefs, manna from heaven, and several others including a gourmet chili one. mexican food trucks are really common here as well.

**edit: i just found this website - http://www.foodtrucktalk.com/category/colorado
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have seen the shows about food trucks and enjoy watching them but only recently discovered the local food trucks in my community. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex where there are about 50 food trucks and a growing network which is helping develop truck parks in the cities and towns around the metroplex.

I am actually planning on wandering around today and trying to match my schedule to meet a few of these trucks and sample some of their gourmet fare.

From what I have been reading about them, they are awesome. Not only do they have some amazing food but they are also able and willing to jump in and help emergency workers and recently displaced families from the huge day of tornadoes we recently experienced out here.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anything like that, but boy I am glad we don't have them. Especially the cupcake truck. HUGE weakness of mine.
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Portland OR from personal experience (of course, in Beaverton we only have the gut trucks that sell lunch at work sites). But, My 23 yr old son lives in Portland and rides his bike everywhere (of course, 23 yr old male on a bike is a major Portland stereotype)and he says there are lots of delicious food carts, especially on the east side and downtown. It's kind of a trendy thing, because the real estate is a bargain. I have read and heard on the news that there are some issues that come up between food vendors and brick and mortar businesses downtown. These are actual little restaurants serving a movable feast and sounds like its the hottest thing on 4 wheels.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    we have some in denver. i was at yoga the other day and they had one for evol. burritos and another for crepe crusades. also the cupcake bus, steuben's, paris on the platte, strEAT chefs, manna from heaven, and several others including a gourmet chili one. mexican food trucks are really common here as well.

**edit: i just found this website - http://www.foodtrucktalk.com/category/colorado

Check out Denver Beer Co. Bar + Food Truck = Yummmm
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    And which one do you own???
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    only ever seen the roach coach "union meetings" on job sites, and at large college campuses.:drinker:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I wish they were more popular here! I have this fantasy of quitting my job as a scientist and buying a food truck. (hellooooo midlife crisis). I understand it's not exactly a way to get rich, but hey, it's a fantasy.
    I'd want to have five separate menus and switch every day. Curries, sandwiches, salads. Something like that.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It's been huge here in Austin for years.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Very popular in Sacramento too. I've never tired them tho. They tweet where they will be and also do the monthly huge meetup thing.
  • Karahazen103
    Options
    In New Mexico I've only seen spanish food and coffee trucks! ha.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wish they were available here...
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I am not plugged into the food truck scene in my city.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Just wondering if food trucks are as poplar elsewhere as they are here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

We have a ton of "gourmet" type food trucks - everything you could possible think of -

Curry Up Now
    Cupcakes
    Adobo Hobo
    Chairman Bao Bun Truck
    El Porteno Empanadas
    and I tried today Pollo Fritto!!!!! Sooo yummy!!!!!

Once a month they all convene in one parking lot and it is food heaven!

They twitter where they will be for the day... let me tell you it's not your typical roach coach with ham and egg sandwiches...

Pollo Fritto - bakes their bread and their chocolate chip cookies on the truck. The chicken is battered and fried when ordered and the jalepeno cilantro vinegarette coleslaw is super fresh.

Is this just a Bay thing? or is it happening all over????

I live in SF! I love all of our food trucks. Check out Off the Grid. It's WEEKLY!!! The Fort Mason one is awesome!