Food Trucks - NOT Roach Coaches

Options
2»

Replies

• Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    No matter how you spell it, they are still roach coaches. They are very popular in SoCal and I can't stomach to eat from them.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I wish they were more popular here! I have this fantasy of quitting my job as a scientist and buying a food truck. (hellooooo midlife crisis). I understand it's not exactly a way to get rich, but hey, it's a fantasy.
    I'd want to have five separate menus and switch every day. Curries, sandwiches, salads. Something like that.

My mom quit her job and bought a hot dog cart.

Her sweet jalapeno relish is delicious.
  • tnshahud
    tnshahud Posts: 163
    Options
    I Live in Nashville TN, and they are getting very popluar around here, I never ate off one, but my husband does every morning!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    No matter how you spell it, they are still roach coaches. They are very popular in SoCal and I can't stomach to eat from them.
    why?
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    They've been super popular in L.A. for a few years now. I actually have a friend who owns one that sells kosher eggrolls of all types: http://www.moeggrolls.com/
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if there is one in Montreal but I really wish we had some I see on eat street on food network nom nom
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    they were pretty popular when I left Baltimore about a year ago, and even in my very very small town in Romania, we have 3. One of them makes the BEST donuts that I only get on Saturdays. So yeah, the trend really is everywhere haha
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this once and it was truly awesome...it was food overload!!
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    I wish they were more popular here! I have this fantasy of quitting my job as a scientist and buying a food truck. (hellooooo midlife crisis). I understand it's not exactly a way to get rich, but hey, it's a fantasy.
    I'd want to have five separate menus and switch every day. Curries, sandwiches, salads. Something like that.

Ooh, excellent. How does she like the work? Is it a huge money pit?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

My mom took it out, like, twice. Made average money. Got bored with it because she didn't like the street scene. She also doesn't have the patience for food service.

Now it sits in the garage :(

but for a couple months she was my hero for it!
  • SueGremlin
    Options

My mom took it out, like, twice. Made average money. Got bored with it because she didn't like the street scene. She also doesn't have the patience for food service.

Oh, boo. The idea that she could make ANY money is encouraging. I would expect it to be an 18 hour day with a break-even salary.
    I know the people in Kalamazoo would love it, but it's so cold and crappy here in the winter that it would have to be seasonal.

Plus, well, you know I am IN Kalamazoo in the first place because of my job that I'd quit, so...
    Yeah. Rambling. That's me. :tongue:
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

Oh, boo. The idea that she could make ANY money is encouraging. I would expect it to be an 18 hour day with a break-even salary.
    I know the people in Kalamazoo would love it, but it's so cold and crappy here in the winter that it would have to be seasonal.

Plus, well, you know I am IN Kalamazoo in the first place because of my job that I'd quit, so...
    Yeah. Rambling. That's me. :tongue:

If my mama had stuck with it, she'd have made decent money. Here in rural-ish Missouri, hot dogs are, like, a food group for most of the population. The other food groups are McDonald's and Beer. Since drinking beer makes driving to McDonald's illegal, Mom's hot dog cart was the answer of many a man's prayers.

There's one hot dog cart in my town (I live a few hours away from dear ol' Mum), and I asked him once what he makes. He said it varies from 30-50 thousand a year. And HE only goes out when he sees a crowd. So, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week when college is in session and a few summer festivals. That's not bad.

Hot dogs, buns, and condiments are cheap. The mark-up is great.

The hardest part is the hoops you have to jump through to be legal. Regular inspections. A kitchen that passes requirements for cleaning in every town you go to. State licensing. Local licensing for every single town/county/campus you want to visit. The paperwork is insane!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

This is ridiculous.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options

Maybe she could sell it to a local school to use for fundraising?
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Hm...I've never been to one. I've never seen one around here either. Without having eaten from one I kind of have the dirty NYC image in my head. Apparently I need to get out to the west coast and experience this!
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Austin has a ton too.

From SF I love how they have more of the trucks than they used to. I miss the crepe truck, so tasty. :( There are no crepe trucks in my area.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Hm...I've never been to one. I've never seen one around here either. Without having eaten from one I kind of have the dirty NYC image in my head. Apparently I need to get out to the west coast and experience this!

We have some AMAZING food coming out of these things! Some lines are consistently 40-50 people deep. I refuse to stand in line for that long!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    This is big in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as well. Fort Worth has a food truck park with a website and a calendar of scheduled trucks since it can only accomodate 5 or 6 at one time.

Tacos are big but there are also burgers, cupcakes and there is one gluten-free vegan truck as well. I've been waiting for spring to go with some friends to check it out one weekend.