For those lifting weights - how long until you saw results?

Options
I started lifting weights a couple weeks ago and I can already see some great results... maybe it's partly just in my head but I'm liking the way my butt's been looking lately lol :tongue:

Anyway, my question is... for those of you lifting weights (specifically ladies) how long until you saw the results you were looking for?

Replies

• brandonrdn
    Options
    Still haven't seen the results I'm looking for, but noticable results probably 2-3 weeks? Really all depends on how much you lift, how many reps, sets, types of exercises, etc. Shouldn't take too long to notice you're lifting certain amounts of weight easier, being able to do more, etc. Visual results could be deceiving as they are usually slow and over a period of time, so you don't notice it on yourself. Hope I helped
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Honestly you aren't going to be putting on a lot of muscle mass quickly and especially not while eating in a deficit. In order to get more "tone" and defined you have to cut the fat that is covering the muscle. Building muscle takes a LONG time and a lot of hard work and proper macros. I have been lifting for about 4 years.

Here are 2 pics of a year ago and my now picture (also a pic of my current definition of my stomach in my profile)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415178-why-should-i-lift-weights-pics
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You should start to see some results (hardening of muscles) within a few weeks. You should see visible results in about 4-6 weeks (if you're incorporating a good diet and have a good weight training program). Remember, it won't take a few weeks to undo what we have (or haven't done) to our bodies.
  • amiperreault
    Options
    I started doing Body Pump classes at 24 Hour Fitness a few months ago, and I agree – my butt looked lifted after just a few weeks! Recently, I've gotten lots of comments about my arms looking thinner and more sculpted.

I've been told that weight lifting burns more calories than just cardio, (because you burn calories for hours after finishing exercise, even into sleep,) but the cardio is crucial to cut the extra inches of fat on top of the muscle, helping to show results faster.

Good luck, keep it up!! :)
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i dont lift weights but i do many many sets of chin ups(3 types), tricep dips, and push ups. I find it easy as i just do a set of two every time i get up and walk around the house. but before that i do "Insanity" its cardio circuit training and it is as suggested, insane! Noticed a change after a couple of weeks, now its been over a month. I now have pecks for the first time ever and my arms a noticably bigger and im just more toned all over. I recommend insanity but be prepared for pain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I've been told that weight lifting burns more calories than just cardio, (because you burn calories for hours after finishing exercise, even into sleep,) but the cardio is crucial to cut the extra inches of fat on top of the muscle, helping to show results faster.
    Well almost true. Weight lifting will raise your RMR while steady state cardio doesn't. But cardio isn't crucial to strip off fat. That has more to do with calorie deficit. Cardio just helps out the process because you can't train the same muscle on consecutive days and many people will do cardio in between to keep burning calories.
    You can lose fat without cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brandonrdn
    Options
    I started doing Body Pump classes at 24 Hour Fitness a few months ago, and I agree – my butt looked lifted after just a few weeks! Recently, I've gotten lots of comments about my arms looking thinner and more sculpted.

Good luck, keep it up!! :)
    To go off of what you said, lifting burns more calories for a few reasons. The obvious one is that when you lift weights you're using energy, sweating, and increasing your heart rate which helps burn calories. The MAIN reason to add weight lifting is because muscle burns more calories than fat. Once you gain muscle, that muscle will burn more calories doing the same activity than fat, or not as much muscle, would. Muscle also weighs more than fat, so dont be discouraged if you're lifting weights and not losing weight. Tried to word that the best I could.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    apparently muscles bulk up after doing weights because of the inflammation caused by little tears in the muscle fibres... there's fluid surrounding them making them look more bulky.

true muscle growth won't happen until a few more weeks down the line.
  • shockedsoshocked
    Options
    Bear in mind that for up to six weeks after starting a weight training program the strength gains can be mainly neurumuscular.
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been working out avidly for two years now. I began with a trainer when i initially started at the gym, and i saw major results, but that is only because he made me lift as heavy as i could for 8-12 reps. My nutrition got really bad this past summer, so I gained some fat but still maintained my muscle. I ended up just doing steady-cardio and barely even lifted, and I saw zero results. (I still don't know why i thought that would work). Now im doing a mix of 15 minutes of HIIT days when i weight train, running 3 miles on my non lifting days, and weight training 4 times a week. I currently do pyramid sets when I lift, and I have seen AWESOME results in the past few months.

AKA Lift heavy and keep your nutrition in line (high protein!!!!) and you will see the muscle definition you want!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    1-2 weeks for small changes that aren't necessarily what you were trying to get but still give you a little bit of encouragement
    3-6 months for small to medium changes in the areas you were hoping for
    12-36 months for big changes in your overall body appearance
    A lifetime for maintenance/further--smaller--improvement

That's my opinion of course.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I began seeing and feeling some changes after a few weeks, but nothing dramatic until about 12 weeks.
  • paulslimjonesbryant
    Options
    i started using weights when i was 14
  • lulabella72
    lulabella72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At least 6 weeks! Really depends if you're been used to exercise before or if you're a first timer. First timers take a bit longer to wake up and engage the muscles, also depends how effectively and to what intensity you're working towards. As a rule 6 weeks if you haven't seen results in 12 weeks then rethink your moves you might not be doing the right movements to switch the muscles on.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    It really depends on your fat percentage. Those that are lean will see results much quicker than those that could stand to lose a few lbs. In general though, 90 days to see significant results.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I've been at it for 6 weeks and I have seen improvements in my posture, my butt looks much better than it did before, and my arms look great. I still look a little pregnant because my belly holds onto fat, but c'est la vie. I'm confident I'll lose the belly eventually.
    That said, my self-esteem has also grown tons since I started lifting, because the progress in how much i lift has been so dramatic. So maybe I just like myself more.
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82
    Options
    I've been on a lifting routine (circuit training) for about a month and a half at 3 times a week, I've started to notice the top part of my abs have definition the bottom half still has a lot of fat to melt off (my goal is ultimatley 70lbs loss) I'm super proud of my 2 pack though :)
    And I've just this week started getting compliments..I think I'm at that stage where people are noticing something but don't want to assume weight loss in case they are wrong..BUT I haven't had anyone ask me if I was expecting recently which is a plus since I had been asked so much in the past that my response was: no, it's just a pizza baby.
    Don't get discouraged if you aren't noticing yet..It IS working - like an onion, layer by layer (sorry to kinda quote shrek)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It truly depends on your body type. Some of us see results faster than others because we have the tendecy to be more muscular, for me.... I can see results in 10 days.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Well, I've noticed changes in my arms and legs already, both are firmer after just 1 month of weights, not even heavy ones - I'm still on the Barbie weights due to lack of funds....