For those lifting weights - how long until you saw results?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I noticed some some change in less than 2 months. Here's changes after about 7 months: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/474504-seven-months-of-admittedly-inconsistent-strength-training
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I saw very nice results after 6 weeks. I am now 6 months and the results are very nice.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My muscles are steadily getting stronger and "bigger" after 2-3 weeks, BUT, I know this isn't additional muscle mass. Nonetheless, the CHANGE makes me feel good and keeps me going, so it's all good!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I noticed some some change in less than 2 months. Here's changes after about 7 months: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/474504-seven-months-of-admittedly-inconsistent-strength-training
    Thanks for sharing! I've posted on your thread, great work!!

Great thread - and inspiration is always good. :smile:
  • Amburglar
    Options
    I would say about 4 weeks in I noticed small differences. One of my trainers once told me: "4 weeks until you see differences, 8 weeks until your family and close friends see it and 12 weeks until everyone else you know, see the difference." I think it's a good rule of thumb.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i would say i noticed a difference in about a month. after 3/4 months, i could REALLY tell. now i'm on month 6 and others are noticing :smile:
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well, i'm not really even close to the final look i want, but i would say that at six weeks, i could see some noticeable improvement, and had lost inches. Strength wise, i gained by leaps and bounds, and after 9 months, i'm seeing a lot of good stuff.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I saw results physically after a few months

But after a few weeks I noticed that I did feel stronger and that my posture was better.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to see(and getting comments) on how my arms and my shoulders are shaping up! I've been heavy lifting for 2 weeks now but was doing basics for around 8 weeks.
    I'm waiting for my butt to get the notice that I'm lifting(I have no *kitten* I swear!)
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You should start to see results in a few weeks. A lot depends on your body composition, current body fat %, frequency of lifting, sets, reps etc. If you have belly fat, well you are not going to see those abs right away - got to lose it first! After a few months if you stick with it you will be much more toned. And as you progress, you will reach sort of a steady state since women aren't going to develop large muscles without chemical help. but then you can target certain muscles you want to improve (biceps, abs, glutes, whatever) and really work on them and you will gradually see them get a little more devloped. I lift 3 - 4 times a week. My husband says I am solid muscle all over. And I am 57 years old.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell at all, until my wife made me look back at pictures from when I started lifting five months ago, side by side with pictures of now...holy crap.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    About a month for my shoulders to start peaking again.

3-4 weeks to notice I've lost weight, 3-4 months to see marked improvement.

1 full week to get over being a b*tch and 'OHMYGODTHISHURTSSOMUCHFEEDMECUPCAKESTOFIXIT' and feel better and be thankful that I started up lifting again.

EDIT: You ever post in a thread and then completely forget about it...and then a year later it gets brought back and you don't realize so you go ahead and post again? Yeah...this is one of those
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1-2 weeks for small changes that aren't necessarily what you were trying to get but still give you a little bit of encouragement
    3-6 months for small to medium changes in the areas you were hoping for
    12-36 months for big changes in your overall body appearance
    A lifetime for maintenance/further--smaller--improvement

That's my opinion of course.

This has held true for me so far (7 months in)
  • kcallas88
    Options
    :love: love
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started lifting on a very regular basis in September 2012...with some cardio mixed in. (I work out 4 - 5 days a week, with some strength and cardio each day).

In the first month, I gained in strength, and shrunk 2" over all of my measurements.

In the second month, I lost an additional 7" over all of my mesaurements....and I shrank 3 pants sizes total in the first 2 months.

I still have some pounds to lose (fat to burn), but the definition in my arms and legs is VERY noticeable...to the piont that regulars at my gym comment on it quite frequently.

Now...if I could just burn off those pounds!! :)
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Manatee-Face-bump.gif
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I started lifting on a very regular basis in September 2012...with some cardio mixed in. (I work out 4 - 5 days a week, with some strength and cardio each day).

In the first month, I gained in strength, and shrunk 2" over all of my measurements.

In the second month, I lost an additional 7" over all of my mesaurements....and I shrank 3 pants sizes total in the first 2 months.

I still have some pounds to lose (fat to burn), but the definition in my arms and legs is VERY noticeable...to the piont that regulars at my gym comment on it quite frequently.

Now...if I could just burn off those pounds!! :)
    This is what I was hoping to hear.:smile::smile:
  • takemetothepub
    Options
    Started lifting in November 2011, first muscles I noticed where about two months later, my lats (back) while drying after a shower could see them in the mirror. Very quickly after that more started popping up.