Biking Question

Options
13»

Replies

• willwhite78
    Options
    OK, back to the OP... for those of you saying no... Why not? If he's got the time and the daylight, what's the problem?

I'd do it if I could!

I do like the recommendation to try it first on a weekend just to see how your body responds.

Most people who have said no have explained why they feel that way. The majority is for the time and daylight, and the rest for showering/personal hygiene at work, weight to carry, clothing changes, and contingency planning in case of the unavoidable (weather, flats, etc). It's possible his route would take him along a regular bus or train route, so he could jump on transportation whenever necessary. He could have a friend who lives next door who could give him a ride/carry his stuff if necessary.

Yes, if he covers all the bases and still wants to do it, I don't think anyone here would try to prevent him from trying, half the fun is in the try.
  • willwhite78
    Options

I'd actually like something that would be good, or at least decent, for both. I'd like to be able to do a little off road if I'd feel inclined.

I know you've already gotten an answer on this, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

I ride a road bike, a 2009 Felt F95 Garmin Team Edition that I got a HUGE discount on in the 2010 year at my LBS. It was the last one they had and they couldn't get rid of it because it was an odd size. I'm also an "odd" size. So I picked it up and it's been the best purchase I've made in a LONG time.

That being said, I can ONLY ride it on the road. We live in an area with lots of trails and hills/mountains with off-road possibility. I would have liked to have gotton more of a Cross Country style of bike, but I'll prob. end up just buying a mountain bike to replace my old "Hybrid" bike.

My boss did buy a Cross Country style of bike, he got a Giant "Roam" I believe. He's able to take it on the rail trail (gravel) but I don't think it would do too well on mountainous terrain. Now when we ride on the road, I burn past him and have to slow down for him to catch up, but I could never follow him off-road.

So it's a trade off, on-road speed for versatility I suppose.

Not really. You could buy a randonneur type bike, like the surly long haul trucker. that gives you the best of both worlds. And the geometry is different than the average road bike too, making for a more relaxed commute, especially a 6 hour round trip.

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/touring-bikes-bicycles-made-specifically-for-long-distance-touring/

I don't think Jipples was talking about doing long distance touring, he was talking about having a desire to ride both on and off road with a bike. I think you may be confusing my reply to Jipples as a reply to the original poster, I myself would never try to ride a road bike for 6 hours....I'm no pro, 50 miles is about my max distance for a ride, I don't think I could take the seat for that long....I'd be bow-legged for a week! lol
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I'd actually like something that would be good, or at least decent, for both. I'd like to be able to do a little off road if I'd feel inclined.

I know you've already gotten an answer on this, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

I ride a road bike, a 2009 Felt F95 Garmin Team Edition that I got a HUGE discount on in the 2010 year at my LBS. It was the last one they had and they couldn't get rid of it because it was an odd size. I'm also an "odd" size. So I picked it up and it's been the best purchase I've made in a LONG time.

That being said, I can ONLY ride it on the road. We live in an area with lots of trails and hills/mountains with off-road possibility. I would have liked to have gotton more of a Cross Country style of bike, but I'll prob. end up just buying a mountain bike to replace my old "Hybrid" bike.

My boss did buy a Cross Country style of bike, he got a Giant "Roam" I believe. He's able to take it on the rail trail (gravel) but I don't think it would do too well on mountainous terrain. Now when we ride on the road, I burn past him and have to slow down for him to catch up, but I could never follow him off-road.

So it's a trade off, on-road speed for versatility I suppose.

Not really. You could buy a randonneur type bike, like the surly long haul trucker. that gives you the best of both worlds. And the geometry is different than the average road bike too, making for a more relaxed commute, especially a 6 hour round trip.

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/touring-bikes-bicycles-made-specifically-for-long-distance-touring/

I don't think Jipples was talking about doing long distance touring, he was talking about having a desire to ride both on and off road with a bike. I think you may be confusing my reply to Jipples as a reply to the original poster, I myself would never try to ride a road bike for 6 hours....I'm no pro, 50 miles is about my max distance for a ride, I don't think I could take the seat for that long....I'd be bow-legged for a week! lol

You're right. However, 6 hours riding each day is bike touring length imo. And then, touring bikes are an underpublicized option. ;)