Mentally Adjusting to Being Smaller

Options
2»

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing this show on a woman who lost some 400 pounds. She talked about moments like these in which she'll ask "well, what if I can't fit?". It was great, she went on her first plane ride and was so shocked she could fit in the bathroom.

I'm sure the next time I go shopping I'll see something great and be unsure if it will fit .. and then have to look for a smaller size because it's too big, hehe.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I lost 32 lbs and I am disturbed that people are paying attention to me. Gosh! It's not like I won the Nobel Peace Prize! So, because I was big.....people ignored me!? It is frustrating. If they notice an improvement, that's one thing....but to start treating me nicer....that is wrong!
    Health is the goal, not looks. That's just my opinion!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth-- people being nice is a good thing. They don't want something from you, maybe they respect you more because you're doing something really good for yourself-- I never get this complaint. People being nice to you is a good thing. What's your beef?

maybe it's just me-- but I never get this-- ???

I get it. When someone changes how they treat you, because of how you now look, you get the distinct feeling that their opinion of you is (and always has been) entirely superficial. I have some co-workers who were always real nice to me when I was the fattest teacher in the school, but now they are giving me the cold shoulder. It doesn't ruin my day, but it is a little disheartening to see that they were never really being genuine with me, they were just happy with me as "the fat one." Even now that my hubby feels more amorous, it's hard for me, cuz there's a voice in my head that says "Oh, so NOW I'm good enough?" I know it isn't entirely logical, but I do understand those feelings.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I am working on this too. I am getting there but slowly. It is hard, and I think it just takes time. When I need a reminder of how far I have come I take out the one pair of pants that I kept and put them on. Then I put on my "hot jeans" just to see the difference. I have to keep reminding myself that I am not the chubby mom anymore. Good luck
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it takes a long time...

I still reach for the XL sizes when I'm shopping sometimes, just by instinct... I wear a size Medium now but it's hard to think that way.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I just had a similar conversation in the success thread!hahahaha... It is hard...like I said there, go shopping, when you put on an xl and they slide off and you go down to a medium....it really starts to sink in!
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    It is hard when you have lived for years as a bigger person. I have lost almost 30 lbs and I still don't really see much of a difference. I have a lot left to lose though. I was trying clothes on the other day to see what I can alter/shrink and I put on a pair of pants that were tight before Christmas. I look like I am playing dress-up they are so big now. They are at least 3 inches too long and the button doesn't stay done up they are so loose. I think mentally I come back to the reality that I am still 6 lbs away from where I was 2 years ago and that wasn't tiny either. I get that I am fitting clothes that have been hidden away in my closet for the last few years, but I don't see myself physically as smaller. In time I hope it comes easier.