I wish I was a runner.

Options

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Don't?

If you really want to run, then I'm sure you can do it and get good at it. It is excellent for cardiovascular health and can hold a real sense of accomplishment.

That said, if your main goal is look a certain way, ie, have a "runner's body" then becoming a runner will not get you there. You do no become long and lean through getting good at running, unless you are already predisposed to being long and lean.

There are a LOT of other exercises that carry the same benefits with them but are better for reshaping your body than running. So if you hate running, why do it?
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try as I might, I just can't make myself get into it! All of you running gurus, do you have any tips on how to start out (slowly), and make it enjoyable? People talk about how fun, relaxing, etc. it is, and all I can think is, "I'd rather get a pap smear." Help me out, here!

I'm a runner and I'm not going to lie to you. The first month or so of running sucks. It hurts. You're achey. You can't believe you're going to go out and do it again and again and again, on purpose, no less.

BUT... you do get addicted to it.

Running is an adjustment to your body and that adjustment requires you to learn to live with SOME pain while you get acclimated to throwing all this pressure on your joints. That said, I'd start off with walking/speed walking a few miles a day (I did 3-5 miles/day, 3-5 days a week) to build up my leg muscles. Then just SLOWLY add running time. Don't even worry about miles, just add time each time - 10 minutes, then 15, then 20, etc.

Don't increase too much at once - this is how injuries happen. Stretch regularly. Make sure you're getting electrolytes and listen to your body. Runnersworld has a wealth of information, tips, etc. Definitely worth a gander. :)

Best of luck to you!

EDIT:
    p.s. Welcome to the running community :)
  • sallytx
    sallytx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well.....I guess I feel such a sense of accomplishment to say: "I ran 5 miles day." But even when I started...gosh...just jogging 1 mile was so exciting. For me, it has to be outside. And music is a REQUIREMENT. Without music, I would not make it. Just ease into it and make it time just for you! :)
  • Allegra289
    Options
    Honestly, the only way to get into anything is to find something that makes you feel good. I wasn't a great distance runner(though I was a 3 sport athlete in HS) but I started off by running 1 mile a few times a week, pushing myself to two miles, and about 2.5 years later I can run 5 miles easily, and sometimes 6. I run because it is the only cardio that makes me feel GREAT. I know some people love doing the elliptical, while some love spinning classes. It is all about finding the exercise that makes you feel the best afterwards. You may not love running, but thats ok, because not everyone does. Have you tried other forms of cardio?
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to run, so I tried the C25k program and was hooked after the first day. I have raced in three 5Ks so far, with my 4th one this coming weekend. Even if I didn't compete, I would still run for the pleasure it gives me. However, signing up for 5Ks every month, gives me the motivation to improve my time and run harder. Maybe if you had a goal, the running would be more fun? Something to strive for and look forward to? Just a thought. Or, you may one that will never enjoy it and that's OK, too. I wouldn't do an exercise that I had to "make myself do". How long will that last? Not long. Find something that you are truly passionate about, and you will progress a lot farther.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Some of these might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Note the first point, when you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Then again, why run if you hate it? Running isn't compulsory, and there are plenty of other ways to achieve your weight-loss and fitness goals.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try starting out using the elliptical. It just keeps you a bit more active then just running. Listen to some good toons as well.
  • tinkerpuppet
    tinkerpuppet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Last March I signed up with my local Running Room for a 'Learn to Run' class. It was great! There was tons of support, they really do start you slow, there was a talk each week about different running topics. It culminated with a 5k at the end. I loved it! I usually ran by myself or with another woman who was about my pace, everyone in the group just did their own pace. And everyone got a genuine high five at the end of the run. And no matter how I felt at the start of the run, some magic happened and I almost always ended with a 'running smile'. I won't get into excuses, but I'm going to be starting over again this spring. It really is an awesome feeling when you get going!

So my advice would be to either find a running group or follow something like C25K program (they have a supportive forum). Take it slow and work your way up little by little.

And whatever you do, get yourself a good pair of shoes!!! Way cheaper then a gym membership :)
  • iron66
    Options
    Hi KBS,
    Used to be a runner but my back can't handle it anymore. I now jus do fast walking (get up a sweat and breathe) Also you can slow jog for 30-60 sec once every few minutes to keep your heart rate up. Get out for at least 45 min. It works! Good luck
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I started the C25k program. I got an app for the ipad and do it on my treadmill in the kitchen when I have the chance. I also want to get a dog to go running with.

I don't enjoy it. But it is getting a little better.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I suggest "Run Your Butt Off." It's a book from Runners World, and it's the same slow principle as the C25K. The best part, for me, was the idea that your run can be slower than your walk. Give yourself a month or so, and if you don't stop hating it (note I did not say start loving the run), then try something else. Running is great, but it's not the only thing.
  • hollowdoll
    hollowdoll Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - have tried to like it, given up on it, then wished I loved it because it's something you can do just about anywhere. So just yesterday I started the Couch 2 5K running program. Supposed to ease you into it and have you running a 5k without stopping in two months. There are online programs and phone apps you can download to give you the info.

So I'm giving it a shot!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

thanks for the info! I, too, am a running novice looking for a good place to start.... so thanks again ;D
  • gleechick609
    Options
    The C25K app and program works great

Or you can set a time to get out on the pavement. Start with 20 minutes. Start with 60 seconds of light jogging followed by a couple of minutes of walking. Do that 3 times a week. Every week, jog 30 seconds more and walk a little less until you can work up to 20 minutes of jogging straight. Remember to always start with a warm up walk and cool down walk (both 5 minutes each)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I wouldn't have posted this if it's something I didn't intend to do. I don't feel I "have" to. I truly want to get into it, I just need to find the motivation. These are all wonderful suggestions and I really appreciate them! I am going to try the C25K and getting into a running group. Thanks again!
  • brandysilvers
    brandysilvers Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I was just like you. I wanted to like running but I really, really hated it. Then, my company offered 4 days paid vacation to anyone who ran in the Marathon they were sponsoring.( Nothing like free time off to motivate you) So I signed up paid my money and then I realized what big commitment I had made. Running for me was like drinking beer to my peers… it’s an acquired taste. I won’t tell that it was easy or quick and after I finished the marathon I swore I would never do another but 4 months later I missed my long runs. I haven’t looked back since then. Some things that helped to make my training successful were: Hal Higdon’s training plan, an ipod shuffle, some good running shoes (Asics gel nimbus) and the fact that I had already paid for the race and wanted to finish. Good luck on your journey, I hope you come to love running as much as I do.
  • kmturtle3
    Options
    The reason I run is BECAUSE I hate it. Seriously. Its not really "fun." Its hard. No matter how much I do it, its still hard. I still have to fight with every fiber of my being to not just stop. And I have run a 1/2 marathon. But that's what makes it so worthwhile for me. I have to focus everything I have on doing it - no room in my brain for other worries or stresses, just running. So the act itself is pretty crappy, but once I get done, I feel incredible... strong, clear-headed, and relaxed. Its amazing, and keeps me coming back for more.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, and I don't really think that "fun" is the word that I would use to describe it. Running hurts, but I have learned to love that feeling. The reason that running is "relaxing" for me is because it is a physical release for my stress.

Nothing else can compare to the sense of accomplishment I feel after I get back from a run and my body is exhausted yet energized at the same time.

I would say start out slow and try to build up to it. If you try to run too far/too fast, it won't be enjoyable at all
  • starross87
    Options
    running outside is always more enjoyable to me than running on a treadmill...after a while, i start to feel like a hamster if i stay on the treadmill too long!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It probably sounds silly, but I download audio books to my smartphone and listen when I run. It occupies my mind and I get a good story to boot,

Sure, I still want to stop a lot of times but I know how good it is for me and how good I'll feel about having done it so I keep going. I entered a half marathon which cost me $80 so that's motivation as well, I can't really afford to waste that $. I want to be able to say I finished a half marathon which is quite an accomplishment in my book. Maybe you need a motivational goal.

BTW... once you get to where you can run for > 10 mintues straight you'll realize that the first 10 minutes is the worst, which is quite unfair when you can't yet run 10 minutes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really become enjoyable until you do it awhile and get in enough shape that it doesn't hurt any longer. For me, this takes about four to six weeks. Until then, you just have to endure the training with the endpoint in sight.