I wish I was a runner.

Options

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I've been "running" off and on for about 15 years, and honestly, I STILL have a love / hate relationship with it. I started doing it b/c it pissed me off that I could never run a mile without wanting to die -- and what still keeps me going is just being pissed off that I can't run that NEXT mile, or that I've never done THAT distance yet, or that I'm still THAT slow. And when I actually accomplish a little bit more, I feel like SUPERWOMAN.

Or maybe it's just like that old saying: "I like hitting myself in the head with a hammer, 'cause it feels so good when I STOP." :wink: I always feel good AFTERWARD.

And yes, MUSIC is a must.

I keep repeating the advice a long-term runner told me once -- even lifelong marathoners say that the first 2 miles ALWAYS sucks, every time, every run. Even they don't "LOVE" every minute of it. Even their bodies are saying, "WTF are you DOING this for???" We're just living for those moments when it (almost) feels EFFORTLESS. Notice I said A L M O S T. :flowerforyou:
  • foolinme
    foolinme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is great! I was just saying that I wish I knew how to run. I am going to look at some of the suggestions from the other members and see what works for me. Thanks for posting the topic!!
  • joemomma3d
    Options
    I never dreamed i could run !! I was overweight (still am but not as big) I have had 2 major surgery's on my right knee and now have arthritis in both knees . BUT I run !! i don't run long distance or very fast but i love it. I started off by walking faster and faster, then a very slow jog. I would walk for 2 min jog for 1 min. I did that for as long as i could ( usually 30 - 40 min) Now I can warm up, jog at a 5mph pace for 4 min and walk fast for 1 min and i do that for 30 - 45 minutes. I never jog more than 5 min at a time. i love it !!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Try as I might, I just can't make myself get into it! All of you running gurus, do you have any tips on how to start out (slowly), and make it enjoyable? People talk about how fun, relaxing, etc. it is, and all I can think is, "I'd rather get a pap smear." Help me out, here!

I was like this and just recently found my passion. I started out walking on an incline and increased it until I could do a 10% incline at 3.5 for at least an hour comfortably, then started running a few minutes and walking a few at intervals until the walking interval becomes close to nothing.

I watch my favorite shows while on the treadmilll, it helps me stay on and keep focussed.

Just started really running about 1.5 months ago and ran 6 miles last night. the soreness is wonderful!!

C25k is a great program thouhg I didn;t use it.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I've been "running" off and on for about 15 years, and honestly, I STILL have a love / hate relationship with it. I started doing it b/c it pissed me off that I could never run a mile without wanting to die -- and what still keeps me going is just being pissed off that I can't run that NEXT mile, or that I've never done THAT distance yet, or that I'm still THAT slow. And when I actually accomplish a little bit more, I feel like SUPERWOMAN.

Or maybe it's just like that old saying: "I like hitting myself in the head with a hammer, 'cause it feels so good when I STOP." :wink: I always feel good AFTERWARD.

And yes, MUSIC is a must.

I keep repeating the advice a long-term runner told me once -- even lifelong marathoners say that the first 2 miles ALWAYS sucks, every time, every run. Even they don't "LOVE" every minute of it. Even their bodies are saying, "WTF are you DOING this for???" We're just living for those moments when it (almost) feels EFFORTLESS. Notice I said A L M O S T. :flowerforyou:

Best advice so far, though I listen to talk radio when I have headphones on; entertainment is a MUST.

The first 2 miles do suck and you feel like you just can't do it today but at about 2.5 it's like yeah, I can run 3, then I think...I feel great, I can run another. I don't like to stop until I am ready. I always feel like I must run 3, atleast...just to know wherther I am ready to go beyond that.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    That's the big thing for me. I don't always enjoy it while I'm running but I always LOVE the way I feel after. I feel like I could do ANYTHING! Looking forward to that runner's high has helped me kind of learn to enjoy the run. But it seems like I always have to force myself to take that first step out of the door. I've also come to appreciate the days when the weather is so nice outside, I want to be outside, so that kind of helps me.
  • jomiley23
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm not one either. And I have always struggled with asthma, so it wasn't something anybody pushed me to do. I always had to take it easy as a kid.

Fast forward ___ years, and asthma control medication is so much better than it was then. I use my inhaler twice before going out. And then I use the "rhythm" method ... meaning I breathe rhythmically to keep calm and help pay attention to how I'm feeling. Breathe in for 3 steps, out for 4. Then as I got more winded and ran longer, it turned into in on 2, out on 3.

Last night was my first time running with music. I never tried it before because I didn't want it to mess up my rhythm. But it actually helped. I wasn't so fixated on how I felt and how I was breathing, which actually made it easier.

Although it feels like my legs are made out of lead by the third or fourth interval, I agree with what I read on someone's blog yesterday: When the only decision you have to make is "right or left?" running can be pretty freeing for your mind. Great time to clear out the noise and buzz and hum of all the things you've been plugged into all day. You may not enjoy the running, but you can enjoy the after-effects: weight loss, endorphin rush, sense of accomplishment, skinny jeans.
  • athensguy
    Options
    I think the item that will make the most difference in your outside exercising is a heart rate monitor. If you get one that comes with a GPS, that would make it even better. I think the reason most people think running hurts is because they are still going to too fast, even if they think they slowed down. A heart rate monitor will beep at you and let you know when you need to slow down so you're not just guessing.

I don't run with music or a training plan or any of that kind of stuff, but I do use a Garmin with a HRM. Running got a lot better for me after I got the Garmin. I started out with C25K, and even that would have been more fun if I had had a HRM.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good God I love Running!! It's so freeing! I find at any rate. lol. But I would advise you to start with interval training, do a run/walk program. Listen to your favourite tunes. Find one song that motivates you and play it if your mid run and feeling ready to quit. Good Luck!!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it...but I kept at it...now I do not hate it and even miss it when I can't do it 3 times a week...just keep pushing yourself! Use intervals...start with jogging 30 seconds / walking 2.5 minutes...then 1 min jog / 2 min walk...keep increasing jog time and decreasing walk time! You can do it!
  • karah0011
    karah0011 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would rather do anything than run...I find it extremely boring. Cycling is much more enjoyable!!! Good luck!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am like you... I have never really liked running. However, I recently joined a beginner class - Learn to Run clinic. It starts off at such a slow pace that really makes it easy for anyone!

The schedule is so gradual...first week you are only running for one min, walking for one...second week you run for 2, walk for 1...etc. Makes it great! And before you know it you have endurance...

Week 1 1:1 2 km
    Week 2 2:1 2 km
    Week 3 3:1 2 km
    Week 4 4:1 3 km
    Week 5 5:1 3 km
    Week 6 6:1 3.5 km
    Week 7 7:1 4 km
    Week 8 8:1 4.5 km
    Week 9 9:1 5 km
    Week 10 10:1 5 km

Right now I am on week 5 training... I am finding it kind of hard at this point, but I am going to push thruogh it! LOL
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i wish i was a runner also..but i have mvp stopping me, and I am impatient..what I need to do is try the couch to 5k...I am still active (kickboxing, and walking)...it might help for me to try it, but i don't have anyone willing to jog with me.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    When I was in HS - I HATED running. And I was a 3 sport athete (swimming,bball, golf)

When we had to do dryland training for swimming I would DIE doing a mile. And I was in the best shape of my life endurance wise -- Swimming is instense.

ANYWAY - fast forward 4 years of college and 40 lbs later. I decided I would do a triathlon. Running required. I decided it was all in my head. 1 mile. Oouch. 2 miles OUCH I HATE THIS. 3 miles OMG YOU MUST BE JOKING. But then I got used to it. Then it felt good afterwards. So then I signed up for a 10k the next year. Then a half marathon the next and then I did another. This year I will do my first marathon. My body somehow learned to love it! And seriously, I DESPISED IT. So I guess for me I just had to push through the difficult and the hate, and eventually I didn't hate it? Crazy.

Oh, and music is a must for me as well. And I prefer outside runs! Even when it's cold :) I live in MN and like to get bundled up and run in the winter.
  • ADMOCT
    Options
    the biggest thing is to not start out to fast either. alot of people decide to start running and just go and they go to fast or to hard and can not last. run what feels like ridiculously slow at first because you will be able to go for a longer duration.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    I hated running more than anything else but I started slowly after joining a group. I was finishing last all the time and it was awful. But I kept going and finished a marathon with them and again I came last but I was over the moon! This year we are training for another marathon and we have new recruits and guess what? I'm not the last anymore lol
    Good luck I hope you get into it!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm not one either. And I have always struggled with asthma, so it wasn't something anybody pushed me to do. I always had to take it easy as a kid.

Fast forward ___ years, and asthma control medication is so much better than it was then. I use my inhaler twice before going out. And then I use the "rhythm" method ... meaning I breathe rhythmically to keep calm and help pay attention to how I'm feeling. Breathe in for 3 steps, out for 4. Then as I got more winded and ran longer, it turned into in on 2, out on 3.

ME TOO. I had asthma pretty bad until high school, and it took me a few months of running to realize that half the battle for me was getting that rhythmic breathing down. Good for you for getting there, and working through it.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use the "rhythm" method ... meaning I breathe rhythmically to keep calm and help pay attention to how I'm feeling. Breathe in for 3 steps, out for 4. Then as I got more winded and ran longer, it turned into in on 2, out on 3.

Last night was my first time running with music. I never tried it before because I didn't want it to mess up my rhythm. But it actually helped. I wasn't so fixated on how I felt and how I was breathing, which actually made it easier.

This is me too. I started C25K a couple weeks ago and have been on Week 1 since then. I tried Week 2's run on Monday, but couldn't finish it. Counting breaths really helps me. And while I do listen to music when walking/jogging, I find that I don't really "listen" to it, but it's in the background as I focus on how good it feels to get my heart rate up, or those last few seconds in the jogging section of my run, or other things from the day that I think about to de-stress. Start slow and don't be too hasty to go faster or longer in the beginning. You'll get there. :smile:
  • mtnmchgrl
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner. I downloaded the Couch to 5k app on my phone & completed it this summer. I run on my treadmill and usually watch TV but I find I can go faster/longer when I'm listening to music. I'd also rather have a pap smear than run, but it's a quick, easy way to burn calories and get your cardio in.

I agree w/ the running club suggestions. The one in my town meets several times a week and there are always opportunities to do morning/evening/weekend runs + 5k, 10k sign ups.

Good luck!