What exactly is "Processed Food"?

Options

Replies

• cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Some people might consider bread processed, but I buy mine from the bakery and have every ingredient in my pantry. Just because it's baked, I don't consider it processed, but if you want to get into the origin of the flour yadda yadda, then I stop there! haha If I buy bread from the bread aisle of a normal grocery, I'd consider it processed though because those "commercial" breads contain a lot of preservatives and things.

Totally agree with that-- bakery bread generally has about four ingredients, and won't last more than a few days without going stale. I don't consider that processed. Wonder Bread, however, will last through the next millennium.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also wanted to mention that a friend suggested I try Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. WHY?? Aren't those diets almost completely processed foods? I cannot believe they are so popular.

Some people are more concerned with losing weight more so than being healthy.

They are very tempting, but I didn't want to pay the money to be a member every month...for support and ideas. Why do that when I can come here and get it all for free?

Also, I'm afraid if I did do something like Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers that I'd gain all the weight back when I got off their "plans." Just seems like a fancier Slim Fast or diet pill. IDK...
  • chrislo2691
    chrislo2691 Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Most food is processed in one way or another. I bake my own bread and don't particularly like most big name shop breads. They are made using a process usually derived from the Chorleywood process which is designed to make the dough rise very quickly.

I buy some foods that are ready prepared or part cooked like ready meals when I need convenience and make from scratch when I have the time to spend cooking.

I prefer home made but I am often out and convenience is a big consideration for me.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Simplist way to answer that question is to hold the food in your hand and ask yourself 'Did it grow that way?' If it had to be processed and things had to be added to it, or taken out of it to make it part of what you're holding in your hand, it's processed.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own... I like cereal, bread and pasta, and I eat them. That works for me. I have zero desire to "eat clean". Do I know it would probably be "better" for me? Sure I do. Can I still maintain a healthy lifestyle while eating these things? Sure I can. I don't have the time in my day or week to make all of my own foods from scratch and spend that much time worrying about it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I mainly look for added chemical ingredients and preservatives.. extra ingredients I wouldn't add if I made it fresh..
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to stay away from processed food, shop the outer walls of the grocery store and avoid the aisles.

I see people saying this a lot, but it's kind of over simplified. At my grocery store the healthy oils and many of the raw nuts and such are in the inner isles. Knowledge is better here than a mnemonic here IMHO.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh and wanted to say I don't think you can get away from some processing, in the sense like oils, but I do go out of my way to get expeller pressed safflower and extra virgin olive oil so that it's processed as little as possible.

Some of it is reading labels and making smart choices. When I buy nuts I could reach for the ones that are heavily processed sprayed with salt and fat and preservatives. Or I can reach for the ones that say "organic raw" contains only pecans.. for example.

I also buy almond milk, which while it's processed it has simple ingredients and nothing I don't want in it.

So some you have to figure out what feels right for you. But I avoid all pre-prepared frozen dinners, cans of soup and veggies, meal kit type items. And a good check can be look at the ingredients and if it's a fairly short list of stuff you can recognize as food then great, but it's a mile long with things you can't pronounce, then it's definitely processed.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    anything NOT in it's natural state is processed. the bad stuff to look for is sodium, sugar, corn syrup, words you don't understand, etc. bread; it depends on what it's made from. same rule applies and also if it's made from processed wheat flour. there's a lot more to it than just this, but it is something to keep in mind.

note: any food that is "lite" as in "less sugar", usually has more sodium and "low fat" stuff has more sugar to make up for the taste lost in processing for the end effect. i try to use as little of these products as possible and use real food in moderation such as raw sugar or agave, olive oil or even butter in small amounts as it is healthier than any margarine. IMO margarine is pure chemicals and is like eating poison.. it's just a matter of "how much can i eat and still get away with it?"
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to stay away from processed food, shop the outer walls of the grocery store and avoid the aisles.

I see people saying this a lot, but it's kind of over simplified. At my grocery store the healthy oils and many of the raw nuts and such are in the inner isles. Knowledge is better here than a mnemonic here IMHO.

Agreed. Not to mention that one of the outer walls of mine has the bakery and all of the process snack bread items, like Hostess cupcakes, etc.

I am trying to eat "cleaner", but I have no intention of ever eating "clean". I like white sugar for baking. Sue me. I travel a lot for work on very short notice, so frozen meals are always in my freezer. I do try to stick mainly with Kashi or Amy's brand, but there is an odd Lean Cuisine there too. Eating clean may be great for many people, but for me, I have to find a balance between eating cleaner, healthier foods and still having some convenience items.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Simple

If man makes it, don't eat it.....
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I love this, this is what I do!

I wouldn't personally consider bread processed if it is a good whole wheat bread. Cooked to me is not processed. You can cook anything, that doesn't mean you processed it. If that were true than cooked vegetables would be processed. Same thing goes with peanut butter, if it is simply ground peanuts then no it isn't processed IMO.

EDA: I think people are over simplifying things when they say "Don't eat ANYTHING processed". Many "processed" foods are good for you such as olive oil as someone mentioned. I just try to avoid foods that have chemicals or ingredients that I can't pronounce and are clearly not natural along with High fructose corn syrup. Does that mean I don't have those things every once and awhile? Of course I do, but not every day!
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    Simple

I concur! and yes, bread is on that list also!
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Most things other than produce are processed to some degree, but to me the main processed things to avoid are frozen or boxed meals that have a lot of fancy packaging and not much substance, and of course junky snack foods. These kinds of items are the absolute worst when it comes to nutritional value and are a poor value for your money.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    So I'd end up with magazines, party stationery, an iron, a new TV and mobile phone, drugs, deli meats, fresh fish, bread, cakes, jam, honey, eggs, wine & spirits, nuts, snacks and crisps.

Very expensive and not much nutrition.

In the UK and Europe, most of the fresh food is at the front of the supermarket or within the first couple of aisles, but it really depends on the layout.

Unless you live off the land it's nigh on impossible not to encounter some "processed" food stuff and the majority of it is not intrinsically unhealthy. Frozen meat, fish and veggies are every bit as nutritious as fresh (an in some cases even more so as the goodness is frozen in at source whereas most "fresh" foods are at least 48hrs old before they hit the supermarket shelves.)

However, there are also a lot of pre-prepared meals in the chilled and frozen aisles which have too much added sugar and salt, sometimes as a preservative and sometimes to mask the really ropey cuts of meat and veg used in the process. Some canned goods have a higher salt content, but again that's what keeps the contents fresh for so long.

But not all convenience goods are unhealthy or unnatural. I've recently discovered Charlie Bigham's range (available at Waitrose in the UK) which is a mix of fresh, raw chicken and veggies that get stir-fired and come with a delicious sauce. They are packaged for 2 persons and they are surprisingly moderate in calories (between about 300-600) and what's more exceptionally delicious (IMHO).

Now, compared to a frozen lean cuisine I know what I'd rather have. :tongue:
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Honestly, like everyone one else has said, most food is processed in some way. Even produce..."baby carrots", pre cut salad mixes, even our fruit has some kind of weird coating on it that make it nice and shiny so people will think it looks pretty and buy it :) It is so difficult in a modern lifestyle and shopping in "normal" stores to avoid processed foods. I really try though. We do eat packaged foods, we do eat store bought bread, we do eat pre cut veggies...BUT I try to make sure that I buy the things with the shortest ingredient list and foods that are lacking the addition of chemical, preservatives, flavorings or colorings. Most of our food, even processed ones, contains natural ingredients only. Natural peanut butter (peanuts, salt), fruit leathers (just fruit and juice), Larabars (dates, nuts, fruit, etc), Fruit spread (fruit, sugar-not HFCS, fruit juice). Anyway, eating the foods with the least "added" crap in them seem to be the way to go, even if you are, in essence, eating "processed" foods.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    LOL, my grocery store has the cheeses, refrigerated salad dressings and lunch meats on one wall, butcher meats including chicken nuggets, fish sticks and frozen meatballs on another, and frozen pizza, waffles, and cardboard meals on the third. The healthy stuff is all in the center in it's own section (natural and organic).

Processed food to me is anything not in it's natural state. I try to eat 80% in it's natural state foods, and the 20% processed food has to have no added sugar, be all natural, no preservatives, or contain artificial ingredients. So certain breads, peanut butter, wraps, yogurt, milk, some cheese and uncured meats, juice, etc. are on my ok to eat list. I'm also a fan of Think Thin bars :blushing:

That's just my personal goal, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    this is what i think of when i think processed:
    lunch meats
    chicken nuggets, chicken not in original form
    hamburger helpers and meals alike
    canned anything!!
    condiments and most sauces
    frozen entrees
    frozen pizzas
    frozen breakfasts <jimmy deans and such>
    all candies
    white bread
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    In all honesty everything you buy from the supermarket that isn't in it's raw (straight from the ground) form is processed.

Technically everything in the grocery store is processed, actually. Growing/raising your own is the only way around it. Some things are just more highly processed than others. I was going to write a blog post on this....maybe I will some day. My BSc in Food Science (including two years of Food Processing, zzzzzzzz) has to be good for something! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Simple

Uh oh, my husband made blackened catfish the other day and I ate it. :flowerforyou: