What exactly is "Processed Food"?

Options

Replies

• mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the problem is not processed food. The problem is HIGHLY processed foods.

Yogurt, cheese, bread, pasta, butter, etc. are all processed foods, but they are minimally processed.

Then you have hamburger helper, velvetta cheese, canned chili, etc. these are highly processed and generally contain a large amount of chemicals that are not present in whole foods. These are what you want to stay away from as much as you can.

If you stay away from the highly processed stuff you'll be fine.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

They are very tempting, but I didn't want to pay the money to be a member every month...for support and ideas. Why do that when I can come here and get it all for free?

Also, I'm afraid if I did do something like Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers that I'd gain all the weight back when I got off their "plans." Just seems like a fancier Slim Fast or diet pill. IDK...

Big difference between Jenny Craig or NutriSystem and Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers does in fact teach you how to eat within reason - just like MFP. If you stop paying attention to your calories and exercise when you hit your goal weight on MFP, odds are you'll gain it back. The whole counting thing is to get you into that mindset that it becomes natural. The Points Plus system with Weight Watchers is very much the same. You learn what healthy portions look like, etc.

Jenny Craig and NutriSystem have the pre-packaged food that you get - and then supplement with your own things like salads and other veggies. The commercials don't tell you that. You're paying a ton of money for your "meals" only to discover that you still have to go to the store to get other things to round out your diet. Way more expensive for me than just eating healthy on my own.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the problem is not processed food. The problem is HIGHLY processed foods.

Yogurt, cheese, bread, pasta, butter, etc. are all processed foods, but they are minimally processed.

Then you have hamburger helper, velvetta cheese, canned chili, etc. these are highly processed and generally contain a large amount of chemicals that are not present in whole foods. These are what you want to stay away from as much as you can.

If you stay away from the highly processed stuff you'll be fine.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to stay away from processed food, shop the outer walls of the grocery store and avoid the aisles.

I agree!
  • ninelives58
    Options

They are very tempting, but I didn't want to pay the money to be a member every month...for support and ideas. Why do that when I can come here and get it all for free?

Also, I'm afraid if I did do something like Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers that I'd gain all the weight back when I got off their "plans." Just seems like a fancier Slim Fast or diet pill. IDK...

Big difference between Jenny Craig or NutriSystem and Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers does in fact teach you how to eat within reason - just like MFP. If you stop paying attention to your calories and exercise when you hit your goal weight on MFP, odds are you'll gain it back. The whole counting thing is to get you into that mindset that it becomes natural. The Points Plus system with Weight Watchers is very much the same. You learn what healthy portions look like, etc.

Jenny Craig and NutriSystem have the pre-packaged food that you get - and then supplement with your own things like salads and other veggies. The commercials don't tell you that. You're paying a ton of money for your "meals" only to discover that you still have to go to the store to get other things to round out your diet. Way more expensive for me than just eating healthy on my own.

Don’t want to put down anyone that has had success on those plans, but frankly I’ve always looked at them as a waste of money that just sets a person up for failure as soon as they quit eating the plan’s food. Sure you can lose weight, but if you just put it back on as soon as you go back to regular food, which of course you have to at some point, then what good is it? Never tried any of those plans, so I do not speak from experience. Just my general impression.
  • Beth720
    Options

Don’t want to put down anyone that has had success on those plans, but frankly I’ve always looked at them as a waste of money that just sets a person up for failure as soon as they quit eating the plan’s food. Sure you can lose weight, but if you just put it back on as soon as you go back to regular food, which of course you have to at some point, then what good is it? Never tried any of those plans, so I do not speak from experience. Just my general impression.

I wasn't defending them. Just saying that the big misconception is that they include everything for your meals, and they don't.

And also primarily clarifying that Weight Watchers isn't even in the same category. It's much more like MFP only you have the in-person meeting option and you count points rather than calories.
  • ninelives58
    Options
    I wasn't defending them. Just saying that the big misconception is that they include everything for your meals, and they don't.

And also primarily clarifying that Weight Watchers isn't even in the same category. It's much more like MFP only you have the in-person meeting option and you count points rather than calories.

Oh, I know you weren't. I just saw you mention them and thought I'd throw my opinion in there. Sorry, kind of got off track of the topic (processed foods).
  • Beth720
    Options

Oh, I know you weren't. I just saw you mention them and thought I'd throw my opinion in there. Sorry, kind of got off track of the topic (processed foods).

Gotcha! :)
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to stay away from processed food, shop the outer walls of the grocery store and avoid the aisles.

I see people saying this a lot, but it's kind of over simplified. At my grocery store the healthy oils and many of the raw nuts and such are in the inner isles. Knowledge is better here than a mnemonic here IMHO.

Agreed. Not to mention that one of the outer walls of mine has the bakery and all of the process snack bread items, like Hostess cupcakes, etc.

I am trying to eat "cleaner", but I have no intention of ever eating "clean". I like white sugar for baking. Sue me. I travel a lot for work on very short notice, so frozen meals are always in my freezer. I do try to stick mainly with Kashi or Amy's brand, but there is an odd Lean Cuisine there too. Eating clean may be great for many people, but for me, I have to find a balance between eating cleaner, healthier foods and still having some convenience items.

It's not a hard and fast rule. Just a general. If you are getting MOST of your food from the outer section of the grocery you are likely going to be okay. These things usually require refrigeration or need to be handled carefully because they are fresh/can spoil. If MOST of your food comes from the inner part probably not. These things most likely came shipped in a box and can last on a shelf for long periods of time. Obviously every store is different and different food require different storing methods but generally the rule is a good one to consider.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Anything that you do not pick out of the ground or from a tree that way.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    (Thank GOD for chocolate trees!!!!)
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    Mike Huckabee said it well - he lost a lot of weight by "not eating anything that wasn't considered food 100 years ago".

I used to work in the food industry (as an ERP analyst) and got to take a lot of factory tours. There are two kinds of manufacturing - discrete and process. In discrete manufacturing, you take whole parts and assemble them to produce a product.

In process manufacturing, the ingredients themselves are changed throughout the cycle and no longer resemble their original state when they are combined to create the output. For example, canned corn goes through mechanical, thermal and chemical processes before it gets put into the can. The more steps in the process, the farther removed you are from the orginal food source.

Personally, I prefer a whole foods diet (farm-to-table when possible). I do eat bread, rice and pasta on occasion but look for varieties that use whole ingredients (more like a discrete manufacturing cycle, without having to make it myself from raw ingredients) rather than those that are processed with a bunch of chemicals and fillers (I recently read an article from Out of the Box Foods that exposed the amount of wood pulp in low-fat packaged foods - yuck!).

I don't like the idea of enhancing chemicals, flavors, coloring, or even added vitamins (isn't raw milk just as good for you without the added A & D?) - and I like to cook without shortcuts, so whole foods work for me.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Practically everything, as others have said. I have tried to go away from eating pre-packaged meals (smart ones, lean cuisines, etc.) and add more fresh fruits and veggies to my diet. However, I have a life. I don't have time to grow organic vegetables (or drive an hour and pay double for them from the organic store) or make my own bread or other such nonsense. People have been healthy and losing weight for years before the whole organic nonsense came about.
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    some people are very die hard on this subject and are 100% non processed eaters. I find it very hard to go that route (although i know it is possible). Thinkjing about all the processed foods can make you sick & dizzy! I would stick with the "if you can't pronounce it" theory & the 5 ingredients or less & start from there... good luck!!! I need some too:)
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If it's not in it's natural state, it's processed. However, totally avoiding processed food isn't that practical. For me, I don't buy anything with more than five ingredients or with ingredients that aren't natural. So I do buy bread, but it's a minimally processed bread with five ingredients.
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Look for the ingredients. My peanut butter is only peanut and salt that's it. As for bread again look at the ingredients if you couldn't make it at home i wouldn't suggest eating it.
    Bads: Ravaolis, frozen meals, some soups, formed chicken patties. Things like that.

Goods: Peanut butter, canned beans, fruit in water, some breads. Anything not packaged. fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, rice.

Cheese and meat i have my own opinion on. I'm vegetarian trying to become fully vegan. If your going to eat cheese i suggest looking at the ingredients and make sure there is only milk in it.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I agree with em9371.

Also, when you get canned veggies: look for no added salt, low salt or similar.

I like frozen or fresh veggies if I can I will use can if I have to but the last few times I have purchased canned they just didn't tastes the same. Fresh/homemade is best but when you can't do that we have to lean toward other options. Good luck to you
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I go by "5 ingredients or less" principle. Bread should have 5 or less, yogurt 5 or less etc... Beyond that I've never really seen the point of frozen or canned vegetables.

I like this and think I might steal this "rule"
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Mike Huckabee said it well - he lost a lot of weight by "not eating anything that wasn't considered food 100 years ago".

I am relieved to know that Oreos were first launched in February 1912.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Practically everything, as others have said. I have tried to go away from eating pre-packaged meals (smart ones, lean cuisines, etc.) and add more fresh fruits and veggies to my diet. However, I have a life. I don't have time to grow organic vegetables (or drive an hour and pay double for them from the organic store) or make my own bread or other such nonsense. People have been healthy and losing weight for years before the whole organic nonsense came about.

Avoiding processed foods has to do with health more than just losing weight. I have a life too and don't eat totally organic and clean, but I don't eat prepackaged meals. Parlty because I think they are nutrient deficient and full of preservatives, but mostly because I can cook better tasting meals. I'm all about flavor.